• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

College Hockey This weekend

scsavre

Wow that came up fast!!!

Its time to play the Canadian colleges this weekend.

I was looking at the Gopher schedule in disgust. I think the only WCHA teams we play twice are, Wisconsin, Mich tech and MInn Duluth. I dont know if that helps or hurts the Gophs. I guess it will be nice to not have to play all the other tough games, but come on. Every one in the league wants to see the Gophs and Sioux get there 4 games in.

So what are our predictions? Does anyone not have UND or UMD finishing on top.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cbrooks

• solbes

• scsavre

• Bear55

Top Posters In This Topic

My top 3 are STCS, UND and UMD.

Middle of the pack are UM, Mankato, UW, BSU and UNO.

Bottom feeders are once again MTU, UAA.

We'll see though. Not much fanfare going into this season, pretty quiet yet.

I'm getting excited! Those top 3 are mine also, but that seems to be the consensus. Which means nothing when the puck drops on WCHA opener. I'd add Denver and CC to the middle of the pack.

12 Schools this year, wow. I understand the frustration with Gophs/Sioux only playing once, but with the addition of 2 schools, this will be the norm from now on. Flip side is it's nice to have BSU with us now.

What did they do with the "rivalry's"? Do we still have them, and if so are BSU and UNO rivals now?

With Bemidji being just a quick jaunt down highway 2 from Grand Forks, I would like to see a good rivalry between UND and BSU. Maybe a few more of those Minnesota boys from up north will stick around and play for BSU instead of UND.

I am betting Bemidji pulls a few upsets over the years and forms a nice little rivalry with UND, hard to see them pulling recruits from UND but you never know. Bemidji and UMD have had some pretty good battles over the years so they might be a little better fit but either way its nice to have another D1 WCHA team in the state, it can only mean good things for hockey in MN.

I suppose BSU siphoning recruits might be a more of a hope than a probability, but hey, it can't hurt to dream! smile

I would definitely agree with more D1 teams from Minnesota being a good thing.

We'll see though. Not much fanfare going into this season, pretty quiet yet.

Preseason coaches poll is about the same with UND on top.

Still excited to see the Beavers in the WCHA even though it may take a long while and be a super rare occurance for them to return to the playoffs like they frequently did in the CHA. Oh well planning to make some trips to the BREC to see the new arena and the team. The Beavers will be rivals with UND and Duluth! Those were always the toughest tickets to get when I went to school there from '05 - '08.

UND will dominate the WCHA as long as they stay some what healthy. The only teams with a chance is UMD and SCSU and rest will fight it out for the other three spots to make it to the final six in March.

The one thing I can assure everyone is there will be some surprises this year because there always are. Its a safe bet one of UND, UMD, and Cloud finish out of the top three and that there are 1-3 teams that will emerge better than expected. Throw in Bemidji and Omaha in their first season in the WCHA and about the only thing I can say with any certainty is that cbrooks is going to lose a bet this year.

UND will get off to it's usual slow start. They will be 5th or 6th heading into holiday break with a lot of people scratching their heads. Duluth or Cloud will be on fire, but then the Sioux will start sweeping series in January. Wisconsin or one of the Colorado schools will probably be the team that surprises in the hunt. Possibly even the Goph's if Donny can muster them for his final season.

only thing I can say with any certainty is that cbrooks is going to lose a bet this year.

If they get swept it will happen early in the season. Signatures for a month I can deal with that. If they make it the whole season you and Scott will have signature going into the NCAA playoff. You guys will look like a couple of ban wagon jumpers. So deal with that Bear grin

If they get swept it will happen early in the season. Signatures for a month I can deal with that. If they make it the whole season you and Scott will have signature going into the NCAA playoff. You guys will look like a couple of ban wagon jumpers. So deal with that Bear grin

Its all good. Actually I wouldn't mind seeing those little Beavers open their WCHA season in the new rink by sweeping the mighty Sioux.

Stinkin Sioux, they are gonna be tough. I cant see them even doing their famous slow start this year. They will get swept though.

I am hoping for 4th for the Gophers, if somehow all these kids that were suppose to be so good can do it.

I was just thinking, these schedules could mix things up a bit this year. Gophs only play cloud and ND once, where as other teams play those 2 and UMD twice, obviously there are other scenarios too. LIke UND who seems to have a pretty easy WCHA schedule. All I know is it could make a pretty big difference for some of these teams.

Ya things are going to be a little different schedule wise this year, not sure what to make of it.

It sounded like the Gophs had a good exhibition against the west coast BC but it didn't really test us. We actually have a pretty good group of forwards from the looks of things. Goaltending should be steady but maybe not spectacular. All kinds of ???? on D this year, clearly the weak link.

One thing is for sure is that the WCHA is a tough division and that anyone can be on top. Think of it this way. Who in their right mind would say after week 4 in the NFL that the KC Chiefs would be the only undefeated team out there!!! NOBODY! You can have all the talent and polls you want, but you still have to play the game. My only bet is that MI Tech & Alaska Anchorage are probably not going to be in the top spot again this year. GO SIOUX!!!!!

Hey we get to watch some games that count this weekend. Good luck all WCHA teams, lets rack up those non-conference wins so we can dominate the power rankings!!!!

UND has a soft schedule this weekend up in Alaska with Alaska-fairbanks on saturday and Anchorage tonight at 11 O'clock our time. Might have to watch the Gophers play if there on TV before the UND game. Goodluck to all the WCHA teams.

UMD. HA!! Give me a break can't even beat lake state. UND no competion either. MSU all the way!

he11s ya lets go BEAVERS!!! I am predicting a sweep, as I will with every UND conference series this year. cbrooks has a bet to lose.

Sioux still undefeated on the year! Sorry Beaver fans. Time to tuck that big fat tail and run. whistle

UMD, No Dak, Neb Om, UW, MTU, and CC were all winners last night. Surprise of the year so far is Michigan Tech. They're 3-0-1. I know they haven't played tough competetion yet, but they have to be excited by their start.

Go Dawgs!