• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Lunker

Waterfowl Reports

Stringerless!

One Suzy. Break half inch ice the whole way. Saw about 40 ducks total and 20 geese.

BrdHunter01

Found some open water this morning and it was a big bust. Saw some ducks. Had a couple flocks of g-eyes buzz us. That was it. Barely any mallards and very little geese.

water rat

After a great shoot two days ago, the last two have been a different story. Only seen a handful of ducks today and yesterday, geese are thick! But, I want ducks !! Over water!!!

Fowlmouth

Solo hunt in Rosemount in a field with cut corn. Geese and mallards were thick, can't wait for tomorrow morning.

full-36675-51210-1459949_494239077361250

Stringerless!

Nice. Fowlmouth. Got a friend in Cannon. Hope to get in on some of that action.

walleyeking19

Drove through Fergus Falls today and I saw thousands and thousands of geese. Most were high fliers, but I did see some working a cut corn field not too far off the road. Wish I coulda been hunting!

heartattack22

This might be a long shot but a buddy and I were planning on Lake of the Woods this weekend, however, the water is a little hard up there. So we are looking for other options. Anyone down south have suggestions? We are open and have decoys for geese.

Kettle

heartattack- PM me, I live in hibbing and could point you in the direction of some birds that I found in the general area. I packed all my stuff away for the year.

Kettle

monstermoose78

The morning started off slow me for, but it sounded like a war zone. Then about half hour after legal shooting hours it started. First shot first wood duck made a splash.  Then a pair of mallards came in locked up and 3 shots and no splashes. I do not how missed them they looked like geese compared to the young wood duck. Then had some screamers come by and did not even waste a shell they looked to be bluewing teal.  Then a pair of wood ducks came and well they to nice splashes. I miss a couple teal and called it around 9 am. I do not want to burn the pond out. I know my camera date is off by a day but I do not know how to fix it. 

Duck Hunt 2015 #1.jpg

Duck Hunt 2015 First morning results.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

MattL

Overall slower than usual opener for us in south central mn. Between the 3 of us we shot 6 woodies and 3 teal.  Few mallards flying but didn't get a chance to commit with others on the slough taking pot shots at them as they circled. Few small flocks of geese flying but none of them even gave a look to any groups on the slough. 

BSLNORTH

I shot my first banded duck this weekend. It was a drake woody. I called the number and it was tagged in KY, last march. Pretty neat and they are sending me an official certificate.

• Thumbs Up 3

sartellangler05

Hunted SW of Morris. Kicked up a bunch of teal and a few larger ducks at sunrise. Got a few shots in the first hour, dropping a couple teal, 2 mallards, and a wood duck. Was absolutely nothing flying after 9 am. Will wait another month until birds come down.

O.T.C.

Tried geese, saw 1 woodie opening day, heard 3 shots all morning in eastern OTC.

nlayne882

IMG_0506.thumb.JPG.60295209db8d4f4812e52IMG_0526.thumb.JPG.e81577c1d9ee0466972ecIMG_0545.thumb.JPG.a3ea2577c36d1d959275aIMG_0541.thumb.JPG.e2ec5478bca82ea9609e3Have been hunting the St. Louis River pretty heavy this year with success. Made a trip out to WInnie last weekend and did very well. It has been a good year so far, can't wait for the upcoming weekends when it really starts to pick up!IMG_0470_(1).thumb.JPG.79f4cade7ffa387beIMG_0498.thumb.JPG.b04145692f2e205477bbb

Edited by nlayne882
  • Thumbs Up 3

fish_hunt_guy

Nice pics nlayne! You ever get or see any black ducks up in the northeast part of the state where you hunt?

nlayne882

Every once in awhile you will see them on lake superior, but not too often. 

Big Country

Black ducks.  They appear to be hen mallards, look incredibly similar, even the males look like susies.  Use to get a few in a local slough in the Duluth area back in the 90"s.

husky

Help Id this mix 

20151026_094914.jpg

carpshooterdeluxe

Help Id this mix 

20151026_094914.jpg

Pintail x mallard.

ZachD

Was out scouting a couple smaller ponds in the Zimmerman area. Not much moving today kicked up 3 wood ducks but they would have been too far of a shot. Walked a small river a bit too see if anything was back there nothing. The ducks are sure loaded in all the metro ponds I drove by on the way up though :mad:

Need some cold weather to get some birds moving

• Thumbs Up 2

monstermoose78

The woodies are in little ponds in the woods :)

You might even get a bonus grouse

• Thumbs Up 1

ZachD

Yea lets bring on Saturday! hopefully things start picking up I think I may just hunt in Dayton

CANOPY SAM

This site has really tanked, and I haven't been on here for about a year, but I felt compelled to fill some of my old duck blind buddies in on the latest happenings in NW Minnesota.

From what I can see we've really hit that Late October lull time.  The vast majority of our local birds pulled out with that big full moon, and the cool clear nights last week.  I've been back and forth across the countryside quite a bit, and I'm seeing very few migratory waterfowl in the area.

With temps being what they are, and now that everything has dried out quite a bit up here, the majority of our farm fields have been cultivated and turned up black.  Pretty balmy now for this time of year.  I wouldn't expect any kind of big migration over the next week or so, but I'd imagine a few will start trickling down out of Canada here and there.

I hear things are going pretty well out in the Dakotas.  Prolly smart to head over there if you really wanna get into birds.  Just not much to speak of at all right now in Northwest Minnesota.

• Thumbs Up 3

fish_hunt_guy

Canopy Sam glad to have you back we missed you. Keep the reports coming. We were all waiting for you to start getting the band back together again.

fish_hunt_guy

Got out for the first time this year last weekend. Opening morning got my two roosters and then started scouting. I didnt see much for birds all day until in the evening when I saw about 40-50 redheads on one pond. Set up there the next morning with my old man and we got 3 reds, 3 gwt, and a woodie and mallard drake. Next day saw more ducks on that pond as well and ended up setting up there as well the next morning. We shot 5 bluebills and 2 bonus geese that morning. Then shot a nice fat rooster that day and headed home. Im off the next 6 days after today so we'll see what kind of trouble I can get myself into. I will post pics on the other thread when i get a chance.

• Thumbs Up 1