• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bow stand log

Archerysniper

Sproguy,

Did you see the arrow and confirm it was yours? If it is at least you have some closure.

I would say I'm about 80% sure the buck I hit is still alive if no one got him yet. I actually bought some attractants and will be putting them by a camera on my land on Sunday night since hunting will be done on my land as of that time. I'm hoping that he may come back and I can get a picture of him. I figure if I can catch him on camera it may give me a little closure. However, he may also have completely vacated the area based on what happened.

I have recovered deer with the arrow still in them and it can be a very tough track.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 96trigger

• Archerysniper

• archerystud

• mabr

Donbo,

That is my thinking on the whole deal. If he wants it fine, just don't want it hanging in a garage or shed somewhere. Would rather have it to at least remind myself to take the right shot!

That's a tough one. I'd definitely get on the phone with the young man and explain the situation and perhaps offer to pay to have the rack shipped back if he's willing. I know I would want it. Otherwise, a picture might have to suffice. At least you're not wondering what happened to him.

Been seeing alot of deer on the cam since halloween..no gun hunters on the property we hunt. So the gf decided she wanted to go bowhunting tonight by herself since i worked..she has never hunted before this year. we had her sighted in at 30 yds. we have had a tough time getting a deer within range..well tonight she threw the hammer down on a doe. she called me all excited and said she shot a doe and that it was a little high behind the shoulder at 30 yds. well i told her that we would eat give it 2 hrs since she wasnt really sure on shot placement..well we get out there and no blood or arrow.. so i start thinking if she missed or where she hit it..decided to head down some common trails looking for blood..all of a sudden i come upon a cirlce of 3 ft of red bubley blood arrow broke off about half ways..so then try to decide where it went from there..no blood after that so i take off on another common trail and find a ton of blood and doe pilled up 20 ydsshe made a great shot..so proud of her. i think she is hooked now..

Definitely was a good night to be out. My dad just called and he had seen 6 deer (3 bucks) by 4:45 tonight. He ended up shooting an 8 pointer with an 18 inch inside spread. With the gun though as his shoulder is too bad for the bow now.

I'll be interested to see reports in the log forum here tonight with the cold front moving in.

I was out last night and never saw a deer. I was pretty excited to get out with the weather moving in, and I saw several the night before, but it just didn't happen for me.

Was planning on heading up north today, but with 8" of snow already on my truck I guess that's not gonna happen. Should be good tomorrow though, after the storm's over.

Was out all day yesterday in the rain! YUCK! Every piece of "waterproof" gear that I own isn't "waterproof" it did a nice job in light rain and snow in the past but in a downpour NO good!

I'm in SE MN (Wabasha Cty) and it rained all day, at 3pm (after several jacket changes and untold amounts of glove changes) it started to snow. At 3:30 the woods went nuts. Does were everywhere! I waited and watched several of the bigger does expecting a buck to come and chase them around. Finally at 4:50 the buck hadn't arrived and I had a nice doe at 10 yards eating acorns. Well she didn't make it. On the buck front, I did see a fork right away in the am and a basket 8 showed up at around 10am. I think they were moving yesterday but a big boy never showed so I killed his girlfriend instead.

I am excited to get out in the snow today but it is still raining in my hunting area and I live 80 miles away, not sure about roads. So going to wait until the am and hunt all day tomorrow.

My brother sat our east food plot yesterday morning till about 10am. He saw a lone doe and later 2 fawns that have been frequenting the plot for the last week or so.

I got out to the same stand at noon and sat till 4 and never saw a deer. We went and checked trail cams to find at 9:20am a basket racked 6 or 7 ptr was standing 20 yds from his blind on the west food plot. LOL

We had alot of pics and most were after dark, which is to be expected as there is a lot of hunting pressure around us.

Small bucks were still working scrapes.

The wind is picking up and the snow is just starting to fall. Planning on getting out tomorrow afternoon.

Brian

We have about 6-8 inches of snow on the ground and wind around 15-20 all day today. I went and sat with my daughter in the ground blind this a.m. and no deer. Took a walk around the edges of the property early afternoon and no tracks anywhere. Sat last night prior to the storm and didn't see anything last night either. Gonna give it another go in the a.m. with my daughter again and see if we can't get her a deer.

Tunrevir~

Absolutely beautiful outside this morning; 2-3" now, seems to be stopping. Sat for an hour, nothing to report except rabbits and squirrels, had one track through the property during the night. Cleared shooting lanes yesterday in anticipation of another month of bowhunting. Good luck.

Friday night I was out in WI, no snow flying, bumped a couple out of their beds and that was it. Nothing moving through the river valley we hunted.

Got a good 2" over night and it was coming down hard, went out anyway, no tracks, nothing moving. Left stand after an hour and a half and headed home. Took 3x as long to get home, vehicles in the ditch everywhere. Saw one car almost in a lake, I think one tire made it in.

Beautiful weekend up north. Light flurries most of the day Sat and it finally starting sticking around 3pm. Saw a forky at 8:50am and watched a fisher that evening for about 10 minutes. That was it for me. Does & fawns for the other guys. One got added to the cooler. 3-4" of wet snow by Sun morning.

My dad, brother, and I sat out yesterday afternoon. I saw one ? adult sized deer when I was climbing out of the ground blind.

My dad saw a pair of fawns and a doe w/ a fawn. My brother had the same doe and fawn walk by at 10 yds. He elected to pass on the shot as he doesn't like shooting a doe that has a fawn with it.

I'm working the next 7 days, so I'm not sure if I'll get out or not. If I do, it will be some mid-day sitting.

Lots of tracks on our 2 food plots, probably should have been out yesterday morning.

Brian

I made it out Bow hunting both Saturday and Sunday all day sits, (keep in mind that my stand faces N/NE and is a portable). It was awesome in the woods I saw a total of 12 deer on Saturday and 16 on Sunday. I drew back on a 6 pointer on Saturday morning but had my arrow fall of the rest, by the time I got it back on he saw my draw again (he's was at 15 yards). Sucks because he's the first buck I've seen this year, I also drew on a mature doe but se picked me off also. I'm going to move my stand to a different tree, seems like they know I'm up there even when I don't move.

Was out Friday at Murphy and saw some nice deer. Messed up on a nice little buck when he surprised me because I was still on ground, 15yds away and when I went to pull back, my arrow feel off the rest, dang. Time to look at one of those whisker basket things.

I sat from 2 till dark last night on my bowstand with the bow and didn't see a single deer nor any tracks in the snow. I did see 2 flocks of turkeys though. One with 20+ birds and another with 18 while on stand so that was cool. I did hear 2 shots to my north between 430 and 445 but that was it where I was at.

Tunrevir~

Back in the stand tonight with the Bow, no deer seen. Thinking the next deer is getting an arrow flung at it, not going to wait for the big guy anymore.

Ice fishing is just around the corner.

Hoping the wife can stick one yet, but she is getting pretty frustrated.

I keep encouraging her by telling her she has seen 5 pretty nice bucks this year, I have only seen 1 spike all year. I took my doe early and she has not been able to close the deal.