• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where do the woodticks go

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

Question

25 answers to this question

i understand that woodticks hate hot weather so thats why you see them in the spring and fall again when it cools down. good luck.

They attach themselves to MN "Snow Birds" and hitch a ride South for the winter. wink

Truth...they burrow into/under loose bark on trees and other woody fibrous vegetation to winter. You can peal off a piece of bark on the right tree, and see thousands in one cluster.

They attach themselves to MN "Snow Birds" and hitch a ride South for the winter. wink

Truth...they burrow into/under loose bark on trees and other woody fibrous vegetation to winter. You can peal off a piece of bark on the right tree, and see thousands in one cluster.

Man, that would flat out give me the heeebie geebies...

Why can't we put the stuff you put on a dog to keep the ticks off, on us

I guess for the same reason we can't eat dog food grin

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Why can't we put the stuff you put on a dog to keep the ticks off, on us

You can put bug dope on.

If your referring to a once a month treatment like Frountline I don't think that would be a good idea.

This stuff doesn't repel ticks, the dogs bloodstream become toxic to ticks. Once a tick latches on it dies within 24 hr.

Deer ticks seem worse around here in the Fall. I've gone out and forgot to give the dog an application of bug dope and of coarse he was covered in ticks. I rub him down good with bug dope and put him in the kennel before letting him in the house. Seems to work.

probably ticks are on the downside with the heat more steady now. however someone told be a neat trick he uses for ticks while berry picking, but can be used anywhere when you know they are around.

he wears boots and jeans. puts duct tape on the bottom of the pants and boots. then he puts a couple of strips with the sticky side out on the bottom also placing strips of the tape to hold them there. so when the ticks crawl up the boots they get stuck on the tape. he said this has always worked for him and had some ticks stuck on there on most trips out. good luck.

Be careful with the ticks! My wife was just diagnosed with one of the tick borne diseases. Touch and go for a few days! Not something to take lightly!

i had two deer ticks on me this year. ist one stuck its head in and was on overnight until i saw it the next day. i pulled it off but the head stayed in. went in to the doctor and he scraped the head out and gave me 2 antibiotic pills just to make sure. dont ever just pick one off and let it go. if it was a deer tick you should at least get the 2 pills just to make sure. sorry your wife had to endure this. i didn't feel these crawl like the normal ticks do, so sometimes you cant catch it until the spot of entry becomes sore. good luck.

With the heat that's been hitting, we haven't seen many. However, just a few days ago on a trip up to the gf's family's property in pine county, we saw a dozen or so chasing us down while we were taking a break from the sun and hanging out in the shade inside a big garage. I think they were escaping the heat and were drawn to the cool concrete.

The disease that she has doesnt leave a rash, didnt know she had it till she started getting sick.

Ticks still haven't went into 'summer hibernation' yet!!! Went for a walk early Sat morning (to beat the heat) and at one point I had 6 of them crawling up my pants legs!!! Went I stripped down, found 3 more on me!! When I inspected the dog, she had a bunch on her, and got a new application of Frontline.

I normally leave my clothes in the garage, go in front of a mirrow, or get the wife to do tick inspection smile but I still ended up with a tick imbedded in me earlier this summer. Pulled it off, saved it, went to a doc, he identified it as a deer tick, and he put me on a two week course of antibiodics. Good so far. Also, doing some research on the web, ticks need to be stuck in for 48 hours before the can pass on Lyme disease.

The ticks, plus the horse and deer flies really make it miserable when out walking right now, they really go after my little black doggie. As I told my wife, the only good thing about the MN summers outdoors is that we don't have to worry about poisonous snakes!!!!!

Better stay out of the bluff county of SE Minn. We got Rattlers. A few anyway.

Permethrin. Highly toxic to fish and cats... and ticks. Active ingredient in tick repellents. Look for a tick spray with permethrin and you'll be tick-free.