• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fall Fishing at Gull - Bass and Walleye Trip

I am wanting to have my Dad bring his bass boat up from Kansas for his first Minnesota fall fishing trip. We are looking at Gull Lake mainly because I have fished it a couple of times when renting a boat from a local resort and have a few spots marked. We are catch and release fishermen so any help would be very much appreciated!!

I am new to Minnesota and not exactly sure when the best time to plan this trip would be (to maximize our chances to catch both walleye and bass). Right now we are looking at the first full week of October, but I am wondering if that might be a little late. Is the fishing usually better, say, the week after Labor Day or does it pick up as the water tempurature falls during the fall? What is the current water temperature and what is a good temp range for the walleye and bass feedbag bite on Gull lake? What time frame would you target this year (I thought I heard that water temps are warmer than usual).?

Any other recommendations on lakes in the area to try if Gull wouldn't be your first choice? Are there smallmouth in the area (I heard something about the upper Mississippi, but not sure if that is by boat or wading)?

Any good recommendations on resorts, where there would be a lakeside view and the ability to pull the boat trailer out along the cabin/room to charge and re-stock the boat?

Thank you!!!

Oh, I think your Oct. time/date would be perfect. With that said, I know the walleyes are being a little more cooperative right now so maybe that is going to stretch into Labor Day. Spots? Well that could be anywhere and I'd formulate a "milk run" until you find fish (Dutchman's Bluff, Stone Boathouse, Center Bar, Hayfield, Bowtie, The Hat, etc. etc.). Where to stay? What kind of boat are you running? If you can run some water up to the N end, I'd have to recommend Gull Lake Resort. Cabins right on the water. Been staying there for 26 years or so. I run my electrical cord right out to the dock/boat. If you'd like to stay more N than potentially Sandy Beach resort. Not much experience with any other resort.

The fishing will be great at that time for both bass and eyes. Besides Gull there are lots of small lakes that are pretty easy to figure out.

The Upper Miss above the Dam in Brainerd (Rice Lake) is awesome for Smallies right up to ice up. The weather can be a little factor at this time of year with cold and rain, afternoons will generally be a little better fishing.

The resorts on Gull are all nice, another option is to get a hotel room in Nisswa for a little less $ still only 5-10 minutes from lots of fishing.

ya i would try gull for sure one thing is it gives up tons of

little fish for sure

north long seems to have nicer fish in my opinion

maybe not as fast of a bite

Thank you Wave, I was looking for a nice place along the east side so that we could make a run to town/bait shop or trailer the boat to another lake. We will be in an 18ft. bass boat with a 225 Merc., so we should be able to run the lake. Why did you mention to run up to the north end? From a little of my research it looks like it might be because there is more bass structure in the south end and walleye structure in the north end?

Swampbuck; thank you for recommending Rice Lake for smallmouth fishing. My dad is a bass fisherman at heart and doesn’t get the chance to fish for smallmouth very often so I will have to try and get him over there. Is most of that river section navigable by bass boat? It looks like we could launch from Lum Park, is there a side of the lake we should head down first? I don’t have a lot of river fishing experience so any quick tips on fall smallmouth fishing would be very much appreciated.

Gregg52; thank you for recommending North Long for potentially a bigger bite but maybe not as many. Is North Long better for walleye or bass (largemouth?) or solid for both? We are catch and release, so I kind of want to try for a nice size walleye to CPR. I looked over the North Long fishing report, but it hasn’t been updated in a while and didn’t have much from last fall. Any tips for fall fishing there?

I appreciate the feedback and will keep an eye out for responses. I will also post how we did over our five day hardcore Brainerd Area fishing trip.

Thanks!

hey gregg - my in-laws have a house in Nisswa. Maybe we can get together to chase some bass some time when I'm down that way.

Let me know when your coming up, I would be open to taking you out for a half day on the river to show you a few things, for most part it is safe to run the main channel until you get upstream a ways.

[email protected]

Yeah, being a wallye guy I guess that's all that I was talking about. There's good bass fishing all over the lake. At times there is good walleye fishing to be had off the break straight out from the Gov. landing.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have a recent water temp on Gull? Mainlake vs. the southern bays?

I will be coming up there with my father in two weeks and I am trying to keep tabs on how the lake temp is progressing this fall. I haven't fished walleye on Gull ever (and am fairly new to walleye fishing in general)... can anyone provide any pointers on how the walleye behave in this lake as the temperature on the lake cools off and any key temps to watch for (ex. as the temp goes below [60] traditionally they move off the weedlines towards the deeper structure). I apprecaite any pointers!! I am doing as much research as possible and it would greatly help to hear opinions from people with experience on Gull to help get me started looking for them.

Thank you

Wilson Bay and Steamboat bays were at 65-66 deg. Sunday. Walters were mostly 20-26 ft. with a few at 28 ft. Minnows worked well.....

• 2 weeks later...

I am really excited to be coming up there next week! We are staying at Gull Lake Resort and will be able to fish Gull or any of the surrounding lakes.

Could anyone provide an update on the water temperature on Gull or any of the surrounding lakes? Anyone have recent updates on how the walleye and smallmouth bites have been?

I will be up there fishing for 5 days and can't break the bank on bait. I want to try some red-tail chubs, but I have heard they can get pricey pretty quick. I am not very familiar with the live-bait fishing (I'm mainly a CPR bass guy), so could someone help me with a few budget alternatives that wouldn't diminish my chances at catching a few walleyes. I was have heard rainbows, creek chubs, and am wondering if nightcrawlers will be effective this time of year. I know that the bait fish are large this time of year, but could use a few opions on what some of the better options are.

Will I be able to find any walleyes that are shallow enough to try and use artificial lures and casting to them? I think it will depend on the cloud cover, wind, etc., but I am mainly just wondering if I am wasting my time targeting them that shallow.

Please forgive my curious nature... I am a newbie to targeting walleyes and very excited about my trip.

Go Twins!

Was on Gull last weekend, Water temps were 59.5-60.8, both days. Redtails seemed to work well. Some other minnow choices may be good as long as the are lively. 3.5 TO 4 foot snell works well plain red hook, go slow!! Find some steep drops with weeds and fish the edges 15 to 30 feet.

i think it depends on if you are jiggin or riggin

redtails if you can get a decent sized bunch are without a doubt the best for riggin...sportland bait had nice ones the last time i bought some

creek chubs are good to riggin

jiggin i think most will work rainbows..sucker..,or chubs

Send me an e-mail again and I will get you all the current info you need,

Not sure aboout the river with all the rain, but I will show you lots of spots to try.

fished today and it was ok (Hubert) we caught a few Largemouth and just two smallies, pretty wet and windy though

First day of the walleye trip. Only fished from about noon till dark. All we could find were a handful of small walleye. Caught fish from 18-24 feet deep. Looked shallower (15ft) and deeper (35ft) but just didn't graph much or get any of those to bite. Fished Wilson Bay entrance area, Stone Boathouse Bar, the Hayfield, and A-Frame bar. Only caught fish on the west side spots (with the wind I found that interesting). We were lindying rigging and jigging but only caught them on lindys.

Anyone else have better luck and a tip on what to do different? If the wind in blowing across a weed area is it best to fish the front side the weeds or the backside (on the back of a weed patch where the wind is blowing over). any help would be very much appreciated. Ill update tomorrow, hopefully it goes better.

Hit gull with my dad today. The wind kept us from fishng my normal spots, so we spent alot of time searching new areas. Caught 5 nice bass, including a 3 pounder, and lost another 3 pounder at the boat, a dink perch and 3 huge rock bass. My dad got skunked crazy Slowest action I've ever had on the south end, but then again I'm up here about 2 weeks later than normal, so it's a little different.