• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Joe Mauer and his home run

DTro

I think Babe Ruth is in the HOF and considered by most one of the best hitters to play the game?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Dave2

• jwmiller33

• PierBridge

• thatoneguy

I think what Dave is saying is that if you wanted one at bat from one player right now, today, he wouldn't want it to be Mauer. I agree 100%, and if you would want Mauer to be your guy when the game is on the line TODAY between all the players in the majors, you do not know baseball.

I could think of 10 guys I would rather have. Joe Mauer is CURRENTLY the most overpaid player in the AL and the most overrated.

But to tell the to the baby jesus lovers of MN is impossible.

Mauer is now an over-sized Ichiro...and will remain so until he finds some gap and HR power.

23 million for a singles hitter...he can win all the batting titles in the world and if he doesn't bring some power with it nobody will care.

I don't.

I think Babe Ruth is in the HOF and considered by most one of the best hitters to play the game?

Of course he is but that was in the past, what I am saying is I don't think he would help any team right now since he is a little bit DEAD.

My point about Mauer is that he is not and was not ever worth 23 million per year when he never plays a full season, is good but not sensational defensively, has ok speed but not blazing fast and does not hit for power at all. The catcher position is not the place to stick 23 mil.

I think defensively he looked pretty good when he was playing 1st. I might agree that 23 million is a lot to spend on ANYONE playing a game. But the backlash from NOT signing him would of probably been worse. And tell me what does power have to do with winning games? As long as he can get on base, the guys behind him have a chance to knock around a few hits and possibly get him home. Can't score many runs if you don't have a few guys on base.

Catcher seems like a perfect place to stick a lot of money. The catcher is your on the field manager. He has managed our young pitching staff very well over the years. Not only that, but has a .320 career batting average. I'm perfectly fine with spending money on a proven player, rather than paying someone like Bryce Harper or Steven Strasburg even half of what Joe makes.

Catcher seems like a perfect place to stick a lot of money. The catcher is your on the field manager. He has managed our young pitching staff very well over the years. Not only that, but has a .320 career batting average. I'm perfectly fine with spending money on a proven player, rather than paying someone like Bryce Harper or Steven Strasburg even half of what Joe makes.

The reason that catcher is not a good place to spend all your money is because of the nature of the position, a catcher will NEVER play as many games on average as the other positions in the field.

Even though Joe Mauer hits for a very good average, he does no more to help his team than someone who hits for a lower average but plays more games.

Last season Joe Mauer hit .327 in 137 games and 510 at bats. He had 167 hits and 9 of those hits were HRs and 75 RBI.

Michael Cuddyer on the other hand hit only .271 but he played in 157 games and had 609 at bats. He had 165 hits, 14 HRs and 81 RBI.

Plus Mauer plays his defensive position much less than any other position on the field. A lot of those at bats came from games where he was not playing a defensive position but rather DHing or pinch hitting.

Did Mauer really help his team any more than Cuddyer did? You can't help your team when you are sitting on the bench.

For what the Twins pay Mauer you could probably get 3 players that hit .270-.280 and each will give you the same amount of total production as Joe Mauer.

Mauer is now an over-sized Ichiro...and will remain so until he finds some gap and HR power.

23 million for a singles hitter...he can win all the batting titles in the world and if he doesn't bring some power with it nobody will care.

I don't.

Ichiro Suzuki has had over 200 hits in every year he has been in the majors and has never made over $18 mil. Mauer has NEVER had 200 hits in a season.

Is there an explanation from Mauer or baseball "experts" as to why he does not hit more homers, even by accident?

He doesn't lift the ball. He hits line drives and ground-outs. I often wonder if he should pair up with the coach who taught Bautista to lift.. that might prove fruitful.

He also gets himself into too many 2 strike counts...almost every at bat. That leads to more of a defensive swing rather than turning on the ball. That's great for a lead-off hitter and a guy who wants to bat for a high average but it will never lead to more power.

Those 1st and 2nd strikes are the pitches he needs to turn on and blast...yet he chooses to "take" them everytime.

He also gets himself into too many 2 strike counts...almost every at bat. That leads to more of a defensive swing rather than turning on the ball. That's great for a lead-off hitter and a guy who wants to bat for a high average but it will never lead to more power.

Those 1st and 2nd strikes are the pitches he needs to turn on and blast...yet he chooses to "take" them everytime.

agreed. i get that it's part of his (wildly successful) hitting approach, but it's fair to say that it prolly does hurt his power potential.

Yup agreed about those pitch counts. Surprisingly though I've seen more than just one or two at bats lately where a pitcher HASN'T thrown him a fastball down the middle for the first pitch. Joe NEVER swings at pitch #1, and I thought all of the AL has figured that out already.

Richard Bremer mentioned in a broadcast a little while ago that he thinks that Joe likes to see that first pitch or two to get a mental timing on it, and apparently it's sure not unheard of for hitters to do, but I do wish he would be more willing to turn on a first pitch fastball down the middle and crush it over a wall. Don't give those AL Central pitchers he sees the most often a free strike at every at bat.

• 1 year later...

mauer .323

miguel .325

trout .321

tigers at royals

twins at blue jays

please let mauer spoil miguel's tripe crown. please, please, please.

I'm not the biggest Cabrera fan in the world, but I would really like to see him win the triple crown over Mauer winning another batting title. But come next year, let Mauer win it every season!

Isn't it kinda strange you can win the batting title and finish about 50th in MVP voting but you lead in jacks and you'll get some votes. It certainly isn't Joe's fault he got overpaid, we would all sign on the dotted line, I just hope we can put the help around him to get back in the conversation about the AL central, I kinda like Revere,Mauer,Morneau,Willingham,Doumit as the top 5 in our order, the end is near and those Vikes will erase our Twin memories in a hurry lol.