• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Battery Box for Trail Cam

FishingwithJake

I'm trying to figure out the best way to make a 12-volt battery box for my trail cam's. It has to be weatherproof and a cord needs to run from the trail cam to the box. Does anyone have any suggestions or have made one themselves? If so, pictures would be a great reference. Thanks!

i used a sportsmans dry box. works great. i added some insulation that goes around the battery for cold days.

mnhunter79,

How are you running the wire out of the box? Also, did you mount the box to the tree with your trail cam or just set it on the ground?

If its 12 volts I would just use a sealed gel cell battery and skip the box.

i have been thinking about getting a cord from radio shack then hooking it up to a vexilar battery.i don't think you would need a box with it just set it on the ground and maybe cover it up with a balsam bough or something.

12 volt? I have not come across a trail cam that runs on 12 volt, most seem to be 6 volt (4 D size) or 9 volt (6 D size). Are you planning to use something to step down the voltage?

I have 3 Moultrie 4.0s that take 6 d-cell batteries and a new Moultrie 6.0 IR that takes 6 c-cell batteries and the new one says 12v dc right next to where the plug would go in.

I just throw mine on the ground next to the tree. No box needed.

Also, if you need 6v, they make them in SLA batteries too.

I'm using a tral camera with an external 12-volt auxillary power jack. The cords are $10. I have plenty of spare 12-volt batteries from ice fishing that I plan on using to power the trail camera's. I've been told the 12-volt batteries will last much longer then the four C batteries. If I were to use a sportsmans box or ammo box, I'd have to run the cord out the bottom so rain wouldn't get in and ruin the battery, right? Or have you guys had no issues with leaving battery on the ground?

I put em on the ground and walk away. Never had an issue in dead of summer or dead of winter.

• 8 years later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
3 hours ago, sgtgreen said:

my company makes a portable battery box that houses a 6v or 12v battery up to the size of a 12ah battery.  We connect trail cams with an auxiliary cable from our terminal post to the trail cam.  We also sell 10 watt solar panels that you can connect to our box and charge the battery during the day.  If you have more questions let me know

Wow, got any pictures of it? whats the cost?  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
On 7/31/2010 at 8:46 AM, x1957x said:

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Yes, I agree great post.  ?