• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A-rod 600

RiverFish

A memo... could have pretty much done nothing. NBA sent out memos about tampering. Pretty sure that ment nothing during free agency.

NFL sent out memos regarding concussions prior to their latest. That ment about nothing. Unless its concrete in a collective barganing agreement and enforced memos mean nothing.

Define clean player as well... I haven't heard of any athlete that doesn't take some sort of vitamin or supplement. That isn't natural. Heck amphetamines weren't banned and tested for until recently.

I won't blame you for not cheering on ARod, but to completely write 600 hrs off is nonsense. ARod is a dink, but he is also heck of an athlete with or without roids.

so just because it was informed to the players via a memo makes it ignorable? the memo was serving as an informative means to let the players know that steroids were now added to the banned substance list, meaning they were illegal to use. the only thing that would have to be in the collective bargaining agreement would be the means for them TESTING for the illegal drugs. memo or not, i guarantee every player who took them KNEW they were breaking the rules.

There are who know how many substances that are used now that aren't tested for or can't be traced. The rule breakers are ALWAYS ahead of those writing the rules.... It is a never ending, vicous cycle and it will continue to repeat itself. And as far as CHEATERS.... plenty of Hall of Fame pitchers spit on the ball, picked up the seems, doctored the ball... ALL OF WHICH is against the rules, but no one argues their place in the hall....

The problem is there is NO WAY to determine who did and who didn't completely and I do think eventually they will all get in. People can hate them all they want, but Sosa and McGwire pretty much saved baseball from becoming borderline irrelavent in the mainstream.

how do you know plenty of HOF pitchers spit on the ball, picked up the seems, etc? were they caught and proven with concrete solid evidence? did they ADMIT to doing so? there were plenty of batters who used a corked bat, cough cough Sammy Sosa cough cough. players like Sammy, who were caught cheating in more than one way, should NEVER be allowed into the HOF. it is a disgrace to the game. IMHO, they need to use increased random testing, and with that, incorporate BLOOD testing (not just urine). anybody who has ever been officially linked/proven/admitted to using steroids is gone. yes, your right, there are some guys who have taken them and gotten away with it. but thats the way it is with every sport. i guarantee there are guys in nascar who bend the rules with their engines/equipment and get away with it. im sure plenty of football players shoot up with roids and get away with it. regardless, the ones who get caught, get punished. why should baseball be any different?

i completely agree, there should be extremely stiff consequences for getting caught with steroids. I personally really like JBMasterAnglers theory of first time offense=1 yr, 2nd time offense=banned for life... and to be able to accomplish this, they NEED blood testing. i dont get why the players union is against it. them refusing to have their players submit blood tests is ONLY PROTECTING THE DIRTY PLAYERS!!!!! if the players union wanted to gain respect for their players and the game, they would agree to random blood testing. urine testing just isnt getting it done. and it should be more random than 1 guy every now and then. they should have ten times more randoms than they currently have now. who is the players union trying to protect? by the looks of not wanting to incorporate blood testing into the game of pro baseball, they are only protecting and harboring the dirty players, while at the same time putting a cloud of doubt and question over the guys who are playing the game the right way (clean)

Just an example, the Williams wall, they used a substance the NFL says violated league policy. 4 years later, still no decision. Ban them for life? To be honest, I love watching great bb players play. A rod is one of them. So was Sosa, Maguire, Rose, Strawberry, the list goes on.

how do you know plenty of HOF pitchers spit on the ball, picked up the seems, etc? were they caught and proven with concrete solid evidence? did they ADMIT to doing so? there were plenty of batters who used a corked bat, cough cough Sammy Sosa cough cough. players like Sammy, who were caught cheating in more than one way, should NEVER be allowed into the HOF. it is a disgrace to the game. IMHO, they need to use increased random testing, and with that, incorporate BLOOD testing (not just urine). anybody who has ever been officially linked/proven/admitted to using steroids is gone. yes, your right, there are some guys who have taken them and gotten away with it. but thats the way it is with every sport. i guarantee there are guys in nascar who bend the rules with their engines/equipment and get away with it. im sure plenty of football players shoot up with roids and get away with it. regardless, the ones who get caught, get punished. why should baseball be any different?

i completely agree, there should be extremely stiff consequences for getting caught with steroids. I personally really like JBMasterAnglers theory of first time offense=1 yr, 2nd time offense=banned for life... and to be able to accomplish this, they NEED blood testing. i dont get why the players union is against it. them refusing to have their players submit blood tests is ONLY PROTECTING THE DIRTY PLAYERS!!!!! if the players union wanted to gain respect for their players and the game, they would agree to random blood testing. urine testing just isnt getting it done. and it should be more random than 1 guy every now and then. they should have ten times more randoms than they currently have now. who is the players union trying to protect? by the looks of not wanting to incorporate blood testing into the game of pro baseball, they are only protecting and harboring the dirty players, while at the same time putting a cloud of doubt and question over the guys who are playing the game the right way (clean)

JW.... do some research and you will find PLENTY of pitchers in the HOF who have admitted to doctoring the ball to some degree. And you know for a fact there were plenty of guys that did it just to salvage a career who have nothing to do with the HOF. The other issue is where do you draw the line?? If ANYONE cheats to ANY degree are they all banned???? One game with a corked bat..... one month on HGH......

Gaylord Perry and Don Drysdale are WELL documented spitballers and ball doctorers and BOTH are in the hall.

ok i understand you all have valid points. however, my main argument was that they wont get in because the people who actually cast the votes have said directly and indirectly that they will not vote anyone in who has been officially tied to steroids. its just not going to happen in our lifetime with these voters

I hear you jw..... while I think right now, none of them will get in, the issue will fade. I can't stand Bonds, but he was a hall of famer even without the roids..... same can be said for Arod who I also don't care for. I think over time, they will get in because people will realize unless they don't want a single player from the 90s and 2000s voted in they will have to relax their stance because nobody knows for sure.

If Jimmy Johnson raced his normal car in a go-kart race, would we give a s--- about his win-loss record? No. Because he wouldn't be allowed to compete. Maybe baseball should grow a pair and do the same thing...you juice, you are banned permanently and you are expunged from all record books.

I hate to break it to you but Nascar teams cheat all the time. Should Nascar drivers be banned permanently and have all record expunged?

I hate to break it to you but Nascar teams cheat all the time. Should Nascar drivers be banned permanently and have all record expunged?

it seems like everyone has the attitude that since everybody cheats it is ok. since we can't punish everybody we shouldnt come down and punish individuals. where do people draw the line?

if you get pulled over for speeding, just tell the officer that everyone else speeds so you shouldnt get a ticket. see what he says... regardless, if you get caught, you should get punished! it doesnt matter that "everybody is doing it"

Gaylord Perry and Don Drysdale are WELL documented spitballers and ball doctorers and BOTH are in the hall.

great post

spitballers are much different than steroids users IMO. yes i know, they are both cheating so whats the difference. i think there is a difference but who am i to judge

everyone seems to have the mindset that since everybody cheats, it is ok, and since we arent going to punish EVERYONE, we shouldnt punish ANYONE, which is a very skewed mindset in my opinion.

heck, since "everyone" is cheating, why dont we make steroids legal in baseball (insert sarcasm) that way no one would be cheating.. and since we arent going to punish EVERYONE who cheated, lets not punish ANYONE! problem solved (insert more sarcasm)

spitballers are much different than steroids users IMO. yes i know, they are both cheating so whats the difference. i think there is a difference but who am i to judge

I'm just curious as to why you think they are so different? You keep coming back to this "if they cheated, they cheated" and "they got caught" Isn't admitting to doing something essentially getting caught???

I think it sucks that they did it, but I absolutely can understand why. If they KNEW they could get away with it and it gave them the edge to either stay in the league or in the stars case make them a LOT MORE $$$$, I can understand it. Right or wrong, I can understand why they did what they did.

Almost all of us drive 60 or more in a 55 even though it is technically "cheating" the law, but we know we can get away with it...

And I truly believe most, if not all will get into the hall, eventually.

it seems like everyone has the attitude that since everybody cheats it is ok. since we can't punish everybody we shouldnt come down and punish individuals. where do people draw the line?

if you get pulled over for speeding, just tell the officer that everyone else speeds so you shouldnt get a ticket. see what he says... regardless, if you get caught, you should get punished! it doesnt matter that "everybody is doing it"

A speeding ticket is a little different than a lifetime ban from MLB and having all of your records exponged.

If they are proven cheats, then yes.

If they are proven cheats, then yes.

There wouldn't be many of the current drivers left.

i enjoy seeing him not get #600, hes gonna get it soon but i like watching him suck it up not a a-roid fan anymore after he left seattle

I think he is just sitting back and enjoying the attention, once he hits it, the cameras wont be focused on his every hit.

Finally he got it. Now we aint got to hear about it again till he get to 700 which I hope he never does.

Riverfish,

At least your boy and ours has provided some NFL training camp entertainment.

As to Thome, he'll have to play next year. I would love to see him return a Twin, but I'm not convinved he will return at all. After all at leat 200 of his homers had to be AGAINST the Twins smile

Arod is so tainted that I could care less about what he does.

• 2 weeks later...

Home runs 602-604 tonight. 15 straight years of 20+ home runs behind only Babe Ruth in the AL. Like I said the Roids are a shame cuz' I don't think he needed them.