• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cliff Lee

Scott K

I really don't see other one of them getting into another players face if needed. They are both very laid back.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zamboni

• Scott K

• Coach1310

• mrklean

Mauer and Morneau aren't veterans? For the money that Mauer will be making next year I would certainly hope he would assert himself as a leader.

Dave.... you gotta get over this $$$ issue with Mauer. They offered the contract and he signed it, not his fault. I know you think he should pitch, catch, play short stop, be the manager and general manager and sell hot dogs during the game because he gets paid so much. He goes about his business and does what he is supposed to, but he is NEVER going to be the rah rah leader type guy. It isn't who he is.

I am gonna side with Big D too, Mauer is getting paid to be the best at his position, on the team, he certainally should step up in the clubhouse. Maybe he does and it just isn't put out there, but my .02

I am gonna side with Big D too, Mauer is getting paid to be the best at his position, on the team, he certainally should step up in the clubhouse. Maybe he does and it just isn't put out there, but my .02

Being paid alot of money doesn't make a leader. Seen Major League? Roger Dorn was high priced, but Jake Taylor was the leader of the team. He had been around a long time. The movie wasn't that far off base, Redman was our Jake Taylor before he left, and I really don't see anyone else that has taken over the role

we need cliff lee now more than ever

Time to go to a 4 man rotation when he gets here

The only problem with comparing situations to Major League is that...IT WAS A MOVIE, they could have written it anyway they want! LOL

Being paid alot of money doesn't make a leader.

Then maybe he shouldn't be paid a lot of money.

Seen Major League? Roger Dorn was high priced, but Jake Taylor was the leader of the team. He had been around a long time. The movie wasn't that far off base, Redman was our Jake Taylor before he left, and I really don't see anyone else that has taken over the role

LOL, who could possibly argue with this logic?

I've got to go get ready for the aliens to attack, it's 4th of July weekend coming up and have you ever seen Independance Day?

Yeah but you guys still have your manager who kind of looks like the manager from Major League! You know, rough and gruff, old, facial hair, never won a World Series, you know, that type! LOL

Dave you can poke fun all you want, but I made a legitimate comparison. The Twins have noone that has stepped into a leadership role, money doesn't make a leader, get over that. I can see maybe Pavano perhaps becoming our leader, been around the league awhile, but still hasn't been on the team very long.

isn't it just amazing how we barely hear from Windy but all the sudden his team has become relavant again and he is on the boards commenting on everything baseball.....LOL good stuff!!! I also thought it was pretty ironic that the Sox started they current winning spell on June 8th.....the exact day the Twins turned their season around a year or 2 ago..

The Twins are a veteran team. Even the new guys we brought in are veterans. How do any of us know who takes on a leadership role on the team? Unless we're traveling and practicing with the squad we have no idea who the leaders are or aren't.

I don't think you need a scene like Longoria and Upton getting in each others' faces in order to be a leader.

Guys like Mauer, Morneau, Kubel, Cuddyer, Span, Punto, Baker, Blackburn, and Liriano have all been with this organization long enough. They shouldn't need anyone to lead them or show them how things are done.

We're just going through a funk right now. We'll snap out of it. This series against Detroit would be a nice time to do it!

Now you know Ozzie that all my concentration was targeted at my beloved Black Hawks as they destroyed all comers to claim Lord Stanley's Cup! You don't notice many posts on the hockey thread now do you? Now I can concentrate on my beloved Pale Hose. Anything else would be pure coincidence. That's my story and I am sticking to it, it all comes down to what the meaning of the word is, is!!! LOL

I guess I will give you that......the Sox must have been watching the hockey playoffs also as they weren't playing ball until the Stanley Cup was raised!!

In Mauer's defense, you don't always have to be vocal to be a leader...sometimes you just have to do your leading by example...playing on days when the manager wants you to rest, leading the pitching staff (most underrated talent Mauer has...compare pitcher numbers with him behind the plate to other catchers and you will see what I mean), and most importantly, letting his bat do the talking. Many can argue he is in a slump this year, but I will take a .300+ BA "slump" any day smile. He'll heat up. I was sold on his leadership a couple years back when he could have sat on the bench and won a batting title but opted to play instead, risking the chance to lose it, and go out and earn it instead. Don't doubt that teammates see these things and get inspired. That's pretty good leadership to me.

Lee to MN is not a long shot...I really would be more surprised if they don't pull the trigger. This is not a traditional Twins move, but our methods are changing and evolving to some degree, and Lee will be the first evidence of that (well, second behind Mauer's big pay day).

As for Redmond...sorely missed. What a great presence for our team. I will never forget him chugging around second and barely making it in to third with a very uncharacteristic triple and pointing at the dugout and screaming "that's how you do it!" to the cheers and laughter of the Twins players and fans alike. Awesome attitude, and that was one of the best "feel good" plays in Twins history, IMO.

The Twins are a veteran team. Even the new guys we brought in are veterans. How do any of us know who takes on a leadership role on the team? Unless we're traveling and practicing with the squad we have no idea who the leaders are or aren't.

I don't think you need a scene like Longoria and Upton getting in each others' faces in order to be a leader.

Guys like Mauer, Morneau, Kubel, Cuddyer, Span, Punto, Baker, Blackburn, and Liriano have all been with this organization long enough. They shouldn't need anyone to lead them or show them how things are done.

We're just going through a funk right now. We'll snap out of it. This series against Detroit would be a nice time to do it!

My sentiments exactly!

It sounds as though we may soon find out, if the Twins want to win this year or not.

Quote:
According to Jim Duquette of Sirius XM Radio and MLB Network, Cliff Lee told people around the club that Tuesday may have been his last start as a Mariner.

There's always the chance that it could be, as Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik would be silly to turn down an offer that he deems appropriate. It's no shock. Of all the names we will hear bandied about over the next month, Lee is the most likely one to go.

That leader we're missing so badly (Redmond) grounded out to the right fielder, yes the right fielder, with the bases loaded tonight. I think the Twinkies made the right choice letting him go.

Quote:
A source tells Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that there are "interesting discussions" and "possibilities" that Cliff Lee could be sent to the Twins.

It's unclear if this means the two sides are currently talking or anything is imminent, but it's interesting nonetheless. The Twins obviously have the prospects to get a deal done right now. It's just a matter of whether the Mariners value those prospects over other team's prospects.

Quote:
A source tells Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse that the Twins have offered prospect outfielder Aaron Hicks and prospect catcher Wilson Ramos to the Mariners for left-hander Cliff Lee.

That's a pretty serious bid. In fact, it might be too much of a price to pay. Hicks, 20, was selected No. 14 overall in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft. He has a 792 OPS over parts of three seasons in the minor leagues. Ramos is perhaps the most expendable trade chip for the club thanks to the presence of Joe Mauer. The 22-year-old catcher is batting just .208 with Triple-A Rochester this season, but has a .281 batting average over five seasons in the minors with decent pop and a fine reputation behind the plate. Sending Ramos makes good sense, especially if the M's value a catcher as much as we hear they do. Adding Hicks to sweeten the pot would probably get the deal done, but it's an awful lot for a rental. Jul. 6 - 12:04 am et

If they are throwing in Hicks, they better have plans on signing Lee for a few years, otherwise, it is way to much!

what kind of free agent is he and what does that mean if he signs elsewhere after the season?

I heard Bill Smith on the radio yesterday and Seattle could hang on to him and just let Cliff Lee leave after the season. Seattle would get 2 first round draft choices if they can't sign him at the end of the season. Seattle is also looking for more from the Twins than just two good players like Ramos and Hicks because they could get that anyway at the end of the season with 2 first round picks. I would say it might be Ramos, Hicks and Blackburn that are being offered - maybe Slowey in place of Blackburn.

I heard Bill Smith on the radio yesterday and Seattle could hang on to him and just let Cliff Lee leave after the season. Seattle would get 2 first round draft choices if they can't sign him at the end of the season. Seattle is also looking for more from the Twins than just two good players like Ramos and Hicks because they could get that anyway at the end of the season with 2 first round picks. I would say it might be Ramos, Hicks and Blackburn that are being offered - maybe Slowey in place of Blackburn.

I met Blackburn and Nathan the other day and I made a comment about how I was excited for Nathan to come back and close out games for the starting staff including Blackburn. Nathan started to say he’s on track with his rehab and he’s looking forward to being able to rejoin the team next year. While he was saying that, Blackburn said under his breath he didn’t figure to be a part of it. I really didn’t think twice, or ask him what he meant by it. I assume his agent has been prepping him that his days are numbered in Minnesota and that he’ll be trade bait. I know Smith likes to be quiet about things but has Blackburn’s name been thrown out publicly? It would make sense by his comments it has internally…

I don't see why the Mariners wouldn't deal Lee. True they would get 2 draft pics, but there is a lot of uncertainty even with 1st rounders. Now they can choose the player and position they need to fill by trading Lee. Much easier to read a guy who's ready to make the final jump.

And I don't see why we wouldn't want to give up 2 prospects for him, even if for only half a year. It seems like we have many of the pieces in place, but a dominant starter is still missing (apologies to Carl).

if Lee were to come to the TWins,, it reminds me of Don Baylor in 87'. Even thou Lee is younger in the mix,, Baylor shined in the postseason.(remember the foul pole HR like yesterday) I think Lee would do the same. I wanna a TITLE. I could care less about 4 years from now and could always try to keep him. We have the lineup that can mix with the best of them,, why not take the chance??? They don't come along much for most teams. Ramos,Hicks etc.. for LEE?? Come on. I'll take that rental all the way.

I would be shocked if tyhe Twins got Lee.

Mauer will never be a leader per say.

Thats just not Joe. Joe can lead in what he does and how he plays but I do not see Joe doing anything else.

I do not expect Joe to do anything other than what he does and thats playing very well.

Any MLB team would love to get Joe, leader or not.