• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

You asked for it!

Scott K

Quote:
Danny Valencia has been called up by the Twins, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune's Joe Christensen.

Valencia is batting a respectable .292 with 15 doubles and 24 RBI for Triple-A Rochester but has somehow managed to hit no home runs, which has to be a huge mystery for the Twins. He entered play on Wednesday with a humble .381 slugging percentage, way down from the .483 number he put over parts of two seasons at Double-A. Valencia is one of the Twins' top prospects and the fan base no doubt hopes he can dislodge Nick Punto from third base. If that's the best case scenario, the worst case would be that he is sent down in four days when Michael Cuddyer returns from the bereavement list.

This has to be a favorable position for him. The pressure will be minimal, since the situation is pretty cut and dry: we know when Cuddy's coming back. He's not going to be relied upon to carry the team, so hopefully he can relax and show the staff what he's got! If he does just get sent back down, at least we get a chance to get a taste of things to (hopefully) come.

harris isnt much better then punto lets hope danny finds his power in those few at bats he gets and becomes a starter

I'm a Punto fan but am really excited to see what Valencia can do! Still I wont judge his performance either good or bad based on about 3 or 4 games like some people wanted to do after two games for Ramos.

He's hit in 5 of 6 games now I believe, Most of the hits aren't pretty but I'll take em

He did well for the time he was up. Good enough to more then likely be a sept call up.

I guess I'm not all that impressed with any part of his game. Pretty one dimensional pull hitter who needs a ton of work still in the minors.

I guess I'm not all that impressed with any part of his game. Pretty one dimensional pull hitter who needs a ton of work still in the minors.

If punto wasnt a quality fielder, what would you say about his game?

Quote:
If punto wasnt a quality fielder, what would you say about his game?

If you mean hitting wise, he's a big disappointment other then that his TOTAL game from a fielding, hustle, leadership and team likability standpoint is the the Cat's meow.

Yeah, Valencia is young and will probably be a decent player for us maybe even next year. I just think he needs a ton of work like all young players do.

I agree his time is best off served in the minors being taught how to play better. The majors arent a place to learn.

As long as he's getting playing time keep him up in the majors...the Twins are a strong enough team and surround him with enough talent to let him struggle a little and learn the ropes in the "bigs". Once his playing time drops...send him down.

it seems like we've been hearing about him for 3 years now, but he hasn't been getting all that much better in the minors.

This might be hard for me to say, but i say dump harris back to the minors. Keep Valencia up, have him play 4-5 times a week at third, giving Nicki the other days and Nicki spell Harris and Hudson on the others when they come back. There Peir, I said it! Not becuz I like darling Nicki, but he is a better option than Harris,Casilla and Tolbert at this time. Side note, another head first slide last nite, I threw the remote and busted my tv.

I did that once and got lucky and only hit the TV speaker and cracked it. "vikings game"

I think a lot of people would agree with your take MJ.

At least last nights head first slide enabled him to beat out the double play. Still annoying though.

He would have been safe anyway as Butler was pulled off the bag by the throw. Too risky for what is gained IMO. But you aren't gonna change his style!

Its nice seeing this guy playing 3rd base. Now we just need Hudson and Hardy back and Punto will be used how he should, off the bench for a def sub in the 7th or 8th inning where he should be.

Its nice seeing this guy playing 3rd base. Now we just need Hudson and Hardy back and Punto will be used how he should, off the bench for a def sub in the 7th or 8th inning where he should be.

exactly

Ok, I take back everything I said in my earlier post about Punto. That was one of the worst fundamental games I've seen played in a long time. The not hustle to cross the plate before Spans meltdown on the paths, the 2 easy boots at short and then the kicker was the leadoff bunt with the 3rd bagger playing up in the 9th. Then of course he's gotta slide head first again to show gardy his hustle, recall Harris who I just sent down 6 hours ago.

gotta think Harris is on his way out and think a change of scenery might do him well. his confidence seems to be at an all time low and his frustration is showing. for whatever reason, he's always been in gardy's doghouse since he's been on the team. he really did earn at least the opportunity to at minimum be a regular platoon 3b with his good preseason but as it turned out that didn't matter. and now to see him not get any playing time and see tolbert and his buck forty average or whatever it is trotting out there instead every game would sure seem to indicate that the writing is on the wall.

punto just needs to realize his role as a defensive role player and nothing more and live with it. stop swinging uppercuts and quit trying to be the 3b coach instead of hustling home. there were a lot of reasons that the team lost tonight so not saying it was his fault alone.

So you are anointing Valencia with the starting 3rd base job already?

Punto WOW. His hitting is starting to affect his fielding

It was 1 game!

even good defenders make errors so can't really fault punto on that because he has played good defense his entire career and errors are bound to happen. on the negative side he now probably has the worst baserunning blunders each of the past 2 seasons for the team with is bumble last night to go along with running through the stop sign last year in the playoffs. he wants to be a leader but he needs to realize that there is a 3b coach there for a reason and he just needs to worry about himself instead of worrying about other base runners. he's got enough problem getting on base so he can't be screwing up those limited opportunities with mental errors.

even good defenders make errors so can't really fault punto on that because he has played good defense his entire career and errors are bound to happen. on the negative side he now probably has the worst baserunning blunders each of the past 2 seasons for the team with is bumble last night to go along with running through the stop sign last year in the playoffs. he wants to be a leader but he needs to realize that there is a 3b coach there for a reason and he just needs to worry about himself instead of worrying about other base runners. he's got enough problem getting on base so he can't be screwing up those limited opportunities with mental errors.

Why isn't anyone down on Span? It was his error in the first place that caused the whole blunder. But when a team scores 8 runs it should be able to win the game.

span screwed up too but this isn't his thread so that's probably why not much is being mentioned about him here. unfortunately punto unnecessarily magnified span's mistake into something even bigger so that's my reason for the rant.

The sad part of it Punto was interviewed after the game and said he and about half the team didnt realize if he touches home before the out at second the run counted. Managers at the major league level should not have to coach that. I hope Punto hits a homer tonite, but will probably slide head first into home.