• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

White Bear Lake Fishing Reports

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallardnwalleye

• tip_upclyma

• IBFishin2

• MN BassFisher

Wow, I would love to catch a muskie through the ice. I guess just in general. And yeah, Pike and Walleye season closed sunday.

How thick is ice around bellaire. Can a guy drive on? Have an outing on the 5th with HopeKids.

Thanks,

Kampeska

Kamp, I was on White Bear on Saturday out of Bellaire and we were drilling in 2.5-3 feet of ice (top 5-6" was white). I didn't think the auger would hit the bottom!

You should be able to drive whatever you want, as long as it's a truck. wink Drive something with clearance and 4WD/AWD if you plan on leaving the road because the snow sucks. We pushed some guy with a 2WD Mariner who got stuck 2 or 3 times before finally getting to his house. Once he got there his auger didn't work and he got stuck again (twice) on his way out. We pushed him out again.

Anyway, we were just inside that basin in about 18 FOW. It was mostly a dinkfest but we scratched out a mixed bag of a few. Perch, sunfish, and a crappie.

Hey there,

If you are planning on bringing kids, I would go off from the VFW straight east to 17-20 feet of water, just S of the island. You will see alot of holes and places where the houses were probably. I was there Sunday and caught alot of smaller crappies. He's right, you cannot travel without 4WD right now, perhaps that changes by the 5th. But it was pretty consistent action during the day which is what you want with kids, right?

Good luck to you.

Jug

So you took that 28.5" out of the lake to be mounted, or are you getting a replica? CPR brotha.

But, you obviously can have it, cuz thats the way the rule is written I guess. Doesn't matter much to me anyway, I am sure there are more, and bigger ones in there. A guy can only be optomisitic I guess!!! Nice work!

Thanks Jarrid for the input...and let me help you out. ANY 28 + walleye I ever catch is coming out of the lake and hanging on my wall. (unless the rules change).

I will only CPR a "Trophy" fish if I am somewhere where I can't get the fish to a freezer (boundary waters, etc.)

Went to Taxi yesterday.....gonna be sweet!

Went to Taxi yesterday.....gonna be sweet!

You should post some pictures when you get it, I'm curious about the mount, Roughly how much does a Walleye cost per inch?

That is a great trophy out of a metro lake! Nothing wrong with keeping one for the wall, that is what it's all about!! grin Are you getting it mounted or replica? I think he thought you were getting a replica???

Getting her MOUNTED.

Mark Mazacher at Longview Taxidermy in Hudson is charging me $8.50 per inch...which is a fair going rate. He has a 90 day turn around, which also seems very reasonable. About $280 total when all is said and done.....but SO WORTH IT

Great fish, Great job. You will love having it on the wall to remember all the hard work you put in on WB this year. Don't let anyone give you crud about mounting one fish, it is no worse for a pop. than keeping a limit of 18 inchers. Plus no one can really figure out any pattern on those WB eyes any way?? I think there is just too much structure and not an overabundant pop., but the DNR does stock the heck out of.

Thanks OldenDays! I noticed you were the guy that yanked that 14" Perch out! Holy Doo-doo, biggest perch I have ever seen. CONGRATS!

So you took that 28.5" out of the lake to be mounted, or are you getting a replica? CPR brotha.

There is always a Debbie Downer out there with the same ole input.

Nice fish!

1 walleye is really going to devastate a 2400 acre lake!!! Give me a break, most of the walleye in WB are stocked anyway, you would only be releasing if for someone else's trophy case or for it to die of old age and become turtle food. Again, great fish. I suppose I should have released the 2 pound perch back into Mille Lacs too, that pop. and gene pool are really hurting! crazy

Read his next post. BTW, a post that jumps down a guys throat for jumpning down a guys throat is just a little hypocritical.

I agree On A Fly....and I have said all I need to say about it. As a WISE person once said to me: "You just watch your own bobber"

I have been hunting Eyes all season on WB (well 7-8 different times i guess). We have found a few (12-15) small ones 8-12" like the ones it sounds like clyma was getting. We tried so many different spots, depths, times...really frustrating. I knew there was big guys in there. A friend of mine knows a guy who has diving equipment and they saw lots of big fish in WB, bigger than even what they thought they would find, and these guys live on the lake.

I am super happy for you, wish it was me obviously, but nice to know that someone else was putting their time in, and finally got the big payoff. I always figured i'd release a hog if i caught one liek that, but after seeing yours, that would for sure be going on my wall and I CPR pretty much everything i catch summer and winter. Congrats man, it renewed my faith in the ol WB for next season or this spring/summer.

-again, congrats man!

Was out yesterday from bellaire from 930am to 1230pm and caught over 30 dink crappies with biggest being only maybe 9 inches. They were really aggressive up until 1130 and completely shut off.

That's interesting. at 11:30 looks like the pressure went from stable, took a slight turn up, then took a substantial dive when the storm moved on through.

full-35547-6646-weather3_6_11.jpg

That's interesting. at 11:30 looks like the pressure went from stable, took a slight turn up, then took a substantial dive when the storm moved on through.

full-35547-6646-weather3_6_11.jpg

Slabasaurus, could you please share where you got that graph from? I really would like to add info like that to my journal, I currently just put in the preassure reading from the time I leave for the lake.

Yep... that's on the weather undergrounds historical data site. (local weather>history data)

You can enter a date range, the above was for one day. I usually copy the graph (it's a jpg) into my excel journal for not only the day's i fish, but the entire month and season to get an aggregate view.

I just took a screen print of the pressure section, but the jpg actually contains temp/dewpoint, wind, wind direction, pressure... etc.

I use NOAA for forecasts, and weather underground for history (NOAA has the history but WU is easier to navigate i think)

Hey Lerk, Just hit up your favorite search engine to find 'weather underground.'

Once there, go to the local weather tab and select the history data option from the drop down menu. You'll have to fill out location and date info.

The graphs are at the bottom of the page smile

• 1 month later...

Took the boat out on sunday and all I can say is that the Ramsey beach landing sure sucks. I am tempted to launch from the beach itself.

Water level is the same as usual, really low! Whitebear looks terrible but crappies are biting though.

Was out today braving the wind and cold and managed a 12.25 inch crappie with a whole lot of tiny crappies, pikes, perch, and one 20 inch walleye.. Too bad it's not walleye season.. There was only one other boat out there and they were hammering the crappies.. Get out there if you can cause the bite is on! Happy fishing!