• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

White Bear Lake Fishing Reports

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallardnwalleye

• tip_upclyma

• IBFishin2

• MN BassFisher

I'm heading there now.. Will report back around 5pm to see how things are going. A buddy is out there right now and said that there are a few trucks out on the lake.

Drove out on the lake and it was fine. Ice is plenty thick.. Counted atleast 8-14 trucks in and out. Caught over 30 crappies biggest is 12 3/4 inch with a 10 inch bluegill. Plastics was the key. Fished from 1:30-5 pm in 15- 20 Fow. Maybe heading here tomorrow again

Where we were at. I'd say 10-12 inch of good ice and about 4 inch of white ice. That's only a ball park and was only measured with my scoop. I did hear ice cracking 3 times but nothing major.

i checked a few spots around 11:00 this morning out from bellaire...it was 16 inches of ice total with anywhere from 9-12 inches of dark ice & 4-7 inches of white ice below the snow...starting to get a little crowded out there.

Went back out yesterday at the same spot and did fairly well. Biggest crappie was 12 1/4 inch with quite a few ones over 10-11 inch. Much more cars and trucks out his time. Fished from 12:30-5pm good day bite not so great after sun down.

I came in from bellair but I can't tell you the spot but i was fishing 15-17 FOW. I'm sure others are catching some slabs out there too.

is white bear drivable? how much good ice is out there. people say they are driving all over it but it just don't seem like it should have gotten that thick that fast. if ya know anything please let me know.

Nwe to HSO... lots of good info on here! Possibly heading out on WBL this Sunday with my wife to look for some crappies. We usually hit the Chisago area and haven't fished WBL in the winter before. Anyone care to give me some advice on where to start out? I'm familiar with the lake in the warmer months by boat, but not through the ice.

Nwe to HSO... lots of good info on here! Possibly heading out on WBL this Sunday with my wife to look for some crappies. We usually hit the Chisago area and haven't fished WBL in the winter before. Anyone care to give me some advice on where to start out? I'm familiar with the lake in the warmer months by boat, but not through the ice.

why dont you try bald eagle which is down the road heard the crappie was biteing there better

Every report i have heard is that the lake is anywhere between 12-17" of ice most of that being good ice and they have been driving all sizes of vehicels out there. I heading out to either WB or BE on sunday for the first time this winter with my gf who hasnt ever ice fished before. I live right in bewtween both lakes so i just have to figure out which lake i want to fish. Been up to Mille Lacs a couples times already. If you see a Green Chevy truck with a blue pop-up say hi!

Sounds like everyone is having decent luck out from Bellaire Beach. Heard of people driving out.

Yeah i keep hearing out from Bellaire but they could be going anywhere. I dont need to know peoples "secret" spots just where abouts out from Bellaire. Anyone care to help out a little? i need to show my gf how much fun it is so i can get her to come more. Wait...is that a good thing?!?!

hey herefish, i've only been out from bellaire, but have been in quite a few spots and its been 9-12 inches of good ice wherever ive been and usually about 16 inches total...i've driven out there with my yukon & pulling my 2600lb ice house all over with no problems...the fishing has been just ok so far.

looked like there was more people out fishing then the entire population of white bear. was a zoo off of bellaire tonight. any reports?

I got out friday night and saturday night. We did good both nights, hit a few walleyes on friday night, then a bunch of crappies saturday. I just got the heck away from everyone and found my own structure both nights. Only a few eaters but I just love the action, not to mention the boost in confidence knowing that I didd'nt have to be one of the flock to get on fish.

was out on friday night, stayed away from crowd. slow night but had a couple missed when fishes appeared on the hummy. my partner finally got one on and what do you know its was mr. eye... but as soon as they came they go... thinking bout just sitting out there til morning next time...

This isn't too secretive - but it'll help you get away from the town direct off Bellaire. I was out this past Sat. & came home with 9 crappie (nice sizes) and also pulled up a pike & small mouth on a tip-up (albeit, the smally is a rare find - nice, fun winter catch).

Off Bellaire, veer to the right. You'll want to go about half-way between the main cluster of houses (direct off access) and the outer houses which will follow a line from the point of the island - these guys are hunting 'eyes. You'll find a lot of weeds in 10-12', thick right up to the bottom of the ice. Keep punching holes until you find a bowl of 14-16' with weeds along the bottom 2'. Set-up shop from 2-7pm range - Make Sure your line is wet from 4-6:30. I use crappie minnows and fatheads while the bite is on - small heavy 'bug' jigs when they get finnicky.

Ohh - and I was out in my 1/2 ton no problemo on 01/08. At least 14" plus everywhere I drilled. Little to no snow cover - this lake is a dream for day fishing with a cam right now.

Got out there yesterday with a buddy from about 1pm-7pm. Got a lot of crappies, maybe half a dozen 'keepers' on small white/blue jigs tipped with a waxie. Marked some suspenders on the Vex at about 10 feet and got a few bigger ones on crappie minnows. Great day to be out.

Once the sun went down a good pile of yahoos arrived and yee-haw'd like hyenas for a while, but all in all...it was a good trip.

Keep an eye on your stuff, saw some people walking from house to house kinda aimlessly scoping things out. I stood outside for a while and just stared at them and then started walking towards them until they split up and veered away and met up at their truck and eventually left.

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

I was over on the rock bar last sunday to avoid the circus at Bellaire. I coaught 1 northern in 6 hours. I think I will try Bellaire, but I am not sure there are any fish in that lake.

Well im new to the cities from lake minnewaska most of you should know were that is. Anyhow is white bear lake worth the trip to go out there?? I guess i dont know were to fish around here what lake would be a good starting point and i will buy a map and figure were they are you should have to work for your fish were i come from. Any info would be great!!!!

I think it be better if you go nearby where you are from and fish Tonka instead... White bear is hit or miss and usually it's morning and night bite only... Haven't catch an eye worth keeping during the ice season. Crappies are nice but like I said, it's morning or night only. Good luck.

Was out tonight and fished a break in 16 fow a got 2 eyes and a couple pearch, got away from everyone was all by lonesome. This maybe my new after work lake, nice and close.

I took your advice yesterday . . . thanks!

I was all by myself in 16 fow from 3:00 - 8:00. Not a soul around, not even any tire tracks within 200 yards.

I had steady action with small perch and sunnies until about 4:30. Then the walleyes moved through, and I had slow but steady action until about 7:30, landing 6. All were pretty small, however.

Then, just before I was ready to leave, a fish comes zooming in on the Vex and slams my Lindy Flyer. His fight was a lot bigger than his size, but still I don't think I've even caught a rock bass this big. Check him out:

DSCF3809.jpg