• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 6 "BEARD TRIMMERS"

Didn't happen this morning. Again. I did have 4 hens and 8 jakes in my field but none were interested in my lone hen decoy. Saw a big tom in the neighbors back yard maybe 250 yards away. He wasn't interested in anything I had to say either.

Too bad about your hunt mknolls, I'm still carrying my bow right now, so I know what you mean. Going to a new spot tomorrow and will probably have my shotty with me.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DonBo

• mknolls

• duckhuntr21

• Borch

Muskie456

Well boys I am leaving the office in about 30 minutes to start my season. I will be hunting through friday and I am fired up to get in the woods. The boys at camp are 1 for 4 so far. My buddy killed a 25 pounder with 7/8 spurs and 8 inch beard @ 7:30 yesturday morning. I haven't heard anything today from the boys but they did have a couple roosted last night. I'll report when I get back. With any luck I'll be sucker fishing on the Zumbro tomorrow reflecting on my hunt from today.

I saw 1 tom as I was walking. He saw me as I saw him and he ran away.

I did have 2 toms hang up about a 100 yards away. They would not cross the gulley. That will teach me for second guessing my set up.

I did have a hen come up to my decoys and she fanned out for a few seconds. Has anyone ever seen this before?

I will be out again Thursday and Friday.

I had one do that last year it went up to my decoy and puffed up and attacked it it was the funniest thing I have ever seen. I was trying to figure out if it was a Jake.

I think we were close to its nest or something.

Broke out the shotgun this morning and hit a new spot. Lots of birds. Missed a big one. Twice! Grrrrrrrrrrr. Two more days...

Don I hope you have a better morning or evening hunt. To bad you missed. Was he good size. It seems to me in what little experience I have I wonder if once they figure out the set up if its not better just to move. When I hunted I only had permission to hunt the small field I was on. I hope next year I have more options to move. Is this the norm for wise old bird? Just wondering what everyone thinks. The shot you took, what are you shooting with? Gun, Shoot size, and how far was the shoot you took? If you don't mind asking.

I just shot and patterned my gun last week and was very confident with my set up. That however seldom takes the excitement out of the moment of the shot. I watched this tom (yes, a big one) strutt and gobble from his limb only 50-60 yards from me. When he pitched down he was already in range but over the edge of a knoll so I couldn't see him. Finally his head popped into view at only about 20 yards. I waited a bit till more of his neck was visable over the rise before I shot. I'm certain that I didn't get my head down on the stock and shot right over him. The pattern on my gun at that range is slightly bigger than a softball, not much room for error. I didn't know I missed him, I ran up to the spot and he wasn't there. He came up out of a low spot and stood at about 40+ yards and I shot again. He decided to head to other parts pretty quickly after that.

I probably will not hunt this spot tomorrow as I have back up spots, however, before I shot, a bunch of turkeys flew out into a field a couple hundred yards away and were no where near when this big guy finally flew down. I may sit over there tomorrow.

I shoot a 12 guage Remington 870 Wingmaster SPS Turkey gun with 3" Federal Premium shells.

sticknstring

Man, that's a bummer Don! You wouldn't of wanted to have been tagged out yet anyways right? Now you get a few more days in the field! The Spur Collectors have a chance now. grin

String, congratulations on your bird in NE. Very nice pictures, too.

Now stop picking on DonBo...he's entitled to a miss or two. grin (You guys are a riot!)

Now stop picking on DonBo...he's entitled to a miss or two. grin (You guys are a riot!)

What he said! Quit picking on me. smiley-faces6.gif

BTW, that's the first turkey I've ever missed with a gun. roflmao.gif And if you believe that one, let me tell ya another.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
Borch

Well you do know that there are two kinds of turkey hunters.

Those who have missed and then those who are going to miss.

Doesn't matter how good you are. It'll happen to us all.

I'm in the first group by the way. Got my miss out of the way several years ago.

sticknstring

I've got plenty of miss stories... we should start a thread! There's the one where I shot all my arrows away - all 7 of them! I had to sneak out of the blind to retrieve an arrow so I could finish a bird off. And then there's the one... grin What fun would turkey hunting be if they didn't cause you to miss once in awhile?

Nightcrawler

Donbo, should of used those two rounds for patroning. grin but thats ok I missed one last year. mowed hay for 20yds on a turkey at 21yds.

good luck on the reat of the hunt.

when you leave for Neb?.

Archerysniper

Thats too bad Don you know if you had the bow you would have had him you would have taken more time before the shot, but thats ok gives my team a better chance. grinlaughwink

I'm not sure if this is the spot to post my video but here it is anyway. I hope you can view it from this link. If you can't get it let me know and I will try something else. Hope you will in joy it. Hope you have better luck next time you get to pull the trigger Don. Who is left yet to hold are team up besides muskie456

Video little longer then ten min

Borch

Plenty of action and those jakes were right in your lap. Now that flad in the background.... Were you hunting on a golf course?

That was a great vid mcnoll and Donbo Hope you have better luck next time.

If you hunt long enough you have a miss. My dad always said learn from it so it dont happen again.

Well now I'm officially frustrated and embarrased. Missed another this morning. Full workload today, I'll give you the whole story later.

Went back to the same farm this morning. Set up on the edge of the field all the birds flew into yesterday. Second morning of the week with ZERO gobbles heard. What's up with that?

I had two decoys out, a hen and a jake. About 6:15 two hens came into my decoys, then 4 geese came in, then a coyote. All at the same time. The coyote eyed all these birds and KNEW he had no shot at any of them, so he left.

About 45 minutes after the hens fed out of sight over a large rise in the field I snuck up to that rise to see if anything else was out there. I watched the two hens for a couple minutes, then I saw a full fan rise up out of a low spot in the field. The hens seemed to be heading my general direction so I got comfortable and waited. I'd peek over the top every few minutes to keep an eye on them. After a while I could tell they were headed farther north from my position, so I ducked down and headed around a rise off the edge of the field and snuck up behind a pine tree right at the edge. All three birds were right there. The tom was at the edge of my range, but since I got a real good pattern with my gun out to 50 yards just last week I wasn't too concerned. He was closer than that. At the shot he took off running then flew all the way to Wisconsin as close as I could tell. Three shots in two mornings on the same farm. Grrrrrrrrrrr..............

I have no idea what happened here. The bird was no more than 40 yards and since I just shot the gun and was real confident, well...what do you do?

I'm planning on sitting in the woods tonight to try and roost some new birds then hit 'er hard again in the morning. Wish me luck. I need LOTS of it!

Come on Cooter, lets hear it. Or maybe you're starting to feel sorry for me?

Borch

Don,

Is you sight system still where it was when you patterned?

I've seen scopes, red dots and open sights come apart with the turkey gun recoil more than once.

Sorry about your bad luck.

Then again you might have a bad case of the yips.

Hope not. wink

Archerysniper

Well Don now I do feel sorry for you and will not rib you unless you get your bird tomorrow then your fair game.

duckhuntr21

Hey guys. I was lucky enough to bag a tom out in SD so if I can figure out how to get the pics and stuff on the submission thread, we are on the board.

Congrats duckhntr!!!!!! Email me those photos and I'll post 'em for you. Nice one? (they're all looking nice to me right now)

No luck last night or this morning for me. Had one gobble at least 200 times but wouldn't come any closer that a couple hundred yards from me. One more shot tonight..... I do still have my WS season in a couple weeks. We hunt that MUCH more serious than this one, so even if I strike out here there's still a good chance.

BTW, I shot my gun this morning and can't blame it on equipment failure. frown

Borch

BTW, I shot my gun this morning and can't blame it on equipment failure. frown

Well that's good. Suck it up and give one a killer headache. wink

It just takes one. smile

Nightcrawler

Good luck Donbo, we all are starting to fell sorry for you. cry

your to shoot the bird not scare it. smile

The property owner was having some issue with property lines with the neighbors and had to have the land surveyed. The field you see the turkeys in where it looks like a mound system is not where I can Hunt. I was sitting about 8 feet off the line with with my decoys. Better luck next years I guess.

Congrats duckhunter Its nice to see somebody get on the board. Kind of a sorry bunch we are... Hope you get another chance Donbo. I may not be seeing it but where are all the photo at? Thanks

Have a technical question. How do you capture a quote that says original post from so in so and then you can pick out part of the message and attach it to a reply? Just wanted to pick on a few of the other team. Seems that if you look at the posted thread for turkey registration not all are doing so well. I know there is a lot of time left. Any way anyone help?

Just click on the "quote" box on the bottom of the post you want to use. You can then delete any parts of their quote inside the quote box. You can add your text ahead of or behind (or both) the quote. Hope that makes sence.

Sorry guys. No last hour success stories. Did have a conversation with a gobbler tonight, but he flew up to roost before he got to me. frown

My WS season starts May 5th. Better stories from there, promise. wink