• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 6 "BEARD TRIMMERS"

Jim916

Sorry it didn't happen for you. Can we combine more then one turkey hunt? Or dose it just run tell the end of June and all hunts are fair game. And thanks on how to reply on quits.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DonBo

• mknolls

• duckhuntr21

• Borch

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats duckhntr!!!!!! Email me those photos and I'll post 'em for you. Nice one? (they're all looking nice to me right now)

I figured out how to post the pics and I still can't figure out what I was doing wrong. Oh well, thanks for offering help and please disregard the email that I shot you. It wasn't a bad bird for my first merriam, but nothing huge.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Sorry it didn't happen for you. Can we combine more then one turkey hunt? Or dose it just run tell the end of June and all hunts are fair game. And thanks on how to reply on quits.

In the contest you get to register your first bird. Even if you have to have several hunts to get it.

Sorry boys I didn't get it done. I had a great season with numerouse encounters with birds. I did pass on a couple differant Jakes trying kill a big one. I had one jake the first night come in to 25 yrds. which was cool. To be honest I didn't want my season to end that soon.

I did not get a bird either. I had several coming in but not would come out of the woods. We did do a stalk on 2 toms that were chasing some hens. Got within 50 yards and could not get any closer without being seen.

All in all it was a good time hunting.

Maybe we need to change our team name to "No Beards"

Well you do know that there are two kinds of turkey hunters.

Those who have missed and then those who are going to miss.

Doesn't matter how good you are. It'll happen to us all.

I'm in the first group by the way. Got my miss out of the way several years ago.

Those who have missed, and those who who say they have not missed is more like it.

Quote:
Maybe we need to change our team name to "No Beards"

That's funny - fitting too! grin

DonBo doesn't mess around in 'Sconi - you guys are in good shape yet.

Don't feel too bad guys. From what I've been hearing (and experiencing firsthand) it's been a tough season so far.

I DO take my Sconnie season pretty seriously, so there's hope.

Yes Donbo its up to you. We are one for six. Thanks to Duckhunter. Does anybody have any idea who's on the leader board at this time? It sounds like the other teams are struggling as well. Even in town were I live and up north were I hunt I have not heard of any great stories from the locals. Still nice to be on this forum to here and see other,s having better luck then I did. So Donbo don't join the woulda coulda shoulda experience like the rest of us. Other then are top dog Duckhunter. The team is expecting you to pull through for us. So as to not be on the bottom of the list. The best of luck to ya.

Yes Donbo its up to you. The team is expecting you to pull through for us.

No pressure though right? grin

My Mn season kicked off this beautiful morning without any luck. I seem be guaranteed crappy weather the first two days on years that I draw a tag. To date, I have had 2 years out of 5 with snow and the other 3 rain. I heard alot of gobbling this morning, but it seemed everytime they would get out of the trees or woods, a good downpour would start and they would be back where they started. I tried a few different spots and stuck it out until 10:00, which was about the same time I was totally soaked. I got a new property to hunt on last night, so maybe tonight I will give that a try and see what is around. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be calm and not raining so I am pretty excited about that.

Things aren't looking to swell for our beloved "Beard Trimmers". By my calculations, team #5 has 3 birds on the board. If you are up to the challenge DonBo, I think you'll have to bag about a 40 lb 12" quadruple bearded monster.

After five long days of frustration, I hooked up with a decent bird this morning. His beard was only about 1 1/2-2 inches long and looked like it was cut off with a scissors. Is this normal? I have saw 3 other birds this year from the general area with the same thing going on. One spur was broke off and the other was 1 1/4 inches. He ended up weighing 22lbs 9 oz. This year's challenge makes it that much more of a trophy.

004.jpg

Congrats on the bird duckhunter. Sorry about the beard, and spur. 22/9 is a pig. 1 1/4" spurs is bigger than any I've ever got. Good job! 2thumbs.gif

BTW, nice photo.

I've seen the cut off beard before, not sure what causes it. I know other toms will peck at it, some freeze during the winter and they snap off, who knows?

I start Wed. in my search for the 40 pounder. grin

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Sounds like an old dominate gobbler. Hard to say about the beard. Most common reason for short beards is beard rot but you usually get some discoloration of the ends.

Congrats!

His beard was only about 1 1/2-2 inches long and looked like it was cut off with a scissors.

You weren't supposed to take our name "Beard Trimmers" seriously!

roflmao.gif

(Sorry, sometimes I just kill me) grin

Originally Posted By: duckhuntr21
His beard was only about 1 1/2-2 inches long and looked like it was cut off with a scissors.

You weren't supposed to take our name "Beard Trimmers" seriously!

roflmao.gif

(Sorry, sometimes I just kill me) grin

Don I cant help my self NAAA cant do it to ya winklaugh

It woulda been NO soup for sure

I start Wed. in my search for the 40 pounder. grin

Good luck, be safe and have fun. Don't settle for anything less than a triple bearded 35 pound monster.

Sorry guys, no 40 pounder, tripple bearded behemouth, but did drop a 22 pounder this morning. smile I'll post pix and story tomorrow or Monday.

Aw-some job DonBo Now that's what its all about. Can't wait to see pic's. You must have a hot spot out there. Did you try to use your bow on this one as well? At least you gave us a another leg up on the board.

Any way we can add up all the points of Duckhuntr21 birds and make it sound like one bird or can you count two birds in the contest? Major CYBER HI FIVE

I well have to go check out see who's on the top of the leader board.

Here he is. 22 lbs., 9 1/2" beard., 1" spurs. Carried my bow the first two days and passed up a couple jakes. We were seeing lots of birds, including many big toms. My buddy Dave shot a 25 pounder the first morning.

DSC02513.jpg

Friday in the rain we heard at least 5 toms and as many hens all around us. We were in the bottom of a big draw. We heard all the birds fly down but they all must have gone up the hill. We sat there ALL DAY, 14 hours. I knew if we left we'd spook them at the top of the hill. I knew they would be back sometime during the day. I knew at least before flyup they'd come down there. They never did. Sat there all day and never saw a bird. We did however hear them all fly up again along with several gobbles. We set up the next morning just above two of them and they came in right from the roost. Shot him at 6:30.

Your patience is highly commendable and certainly paid off. Not many could hold on that long.

You hunting out of a blind?

You know that property well?

Way to go Don - nice bird! Sounds like you had an exciting hunt despite the lovely weather we had during the week.

Your patience is highly commendable and certainly paid off. Not many could hold on that long.

You hunting out of a blind?

You know that property well?

We've hunted this property for a long time now, well over ten years. We've killed a lot of birds there including a 27 1/2 pounder (Dave again) a few years back.

Dave isn't much of a hunter, so we sit together in a blind. I do all the set-up, calling, etc. he just shoots. Nice gig if you can get it huh? grin