• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fire Lucia

scsavre

Don't forget about Hill. He needs to go before Lucia. What little respect I had for him was lost when he was interviewed and he said it was out of the coaches hands. It was up to the kids.

He is just a yes man and kisses Don's rear end. That is why Guentzel left. You saw the first decline when Motzko left and another set back when Guentzel left. Now all we have is Hill and a horrible team.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scsavre

• cbrooks

• Bear55

• solbes

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what I was saying so long ago when everyone was pumping Don's tires about the 2 national titles. Both of them had Motzko and Guentzel. In what world do the Gophers not have one of the best power plays in the league? Lucias apparently. When Guentzel left he took his power play with him.

Any of the UMD guys leaving early.

They shouldn't. 4 or 5 drafted guys are all young and at the bottom half of the scoring sheet. Top 6 point getters are undrafted and will be returning, unless someone picks up Fontaine who is a Junior. I'm hoping Duluth nabs Jordan Fulton's younger brother for next year (Breck).

Back to Lucia, sounds more and more like he is already a lame duck coach. The program is wisely waiting for Blais' situation to open up. If that's the case, I'm both happy for the U and fearful of what the program might return to.

Duluth native Rob Bordson a Jr from UMD signed with the Ducks the other day.

Also I see Jordan Schroeder scored 2 goals in his minor league debut....must be all that great pro hockey coaching he's getting now.. wink

Be careful sobles, all those undrafted guys at the top of the scoring charts could being snapped up by the NHL.

I think Schroeder will be fine at the next level, he isn't the type to make those around him better but more of a skilled complimentary player. Look what he's done last year with Stoa and at the past World Jr's tournaments with quality players on his line. The gophers didn't have much to offer him for linemates this year, he also didn't seem very interested in playing college hockey towards the end of the year, seems to be a common trait among some gopher players the past few years.

On to Lucia, no doubt Motzko and Guentzel were quality assistants but Lucia seemed to do fine at CC without them, and at Alaska before that. Its not like Don was riding the coattails of others while turning around 3 programs and winning 2 national titles and a bunch of regular season and playoff titles along the way.

So like I have said before I don't really know what to do with Lucia, part of me still thinks he has it in him to turn us around, part of me says lets get Blais asap. At least we can be thankful knowing we don't have Hakstol leading us to another final 4 loss. Whoops that hasn't happened yet but its what my crystal ball is telling me.

Im thinking Lucia just doesnt have it in him anymore.

Lucia didnt really do much of anything at Alaska, pretty much did the same as what Schafer did when he took them D1. Don left when it was getting bad again there.

His record at CC was unreal though. before he got there, 8-28. His first year, 23-11 and RS champs. MAde the NCAA's all 6 years. He hasnt done that here with better players. Maybe he just doesnt have it any more. Really he has nothing to prove. He has done all you can.

I could see Danny Kristo leaving the Sioux after this season, He has been remarkable in my opinon. He impressed me over the Final 5 weekend and when they played a season series vs Mankato at the Ralph earlier.

I remeber hearing an interview with Johnny Pohl and Jordan Leopold the day Guentzel left and they both agreed the program lost a very important piece of the puzzle and that his loss would hurt the Gophers big time. I don't know the particulars of what his (Guentzels) role was on the team but it was evident by their reaction that the last three seasons without him should come as no suprise.

Guentzel assited CC for a year and now heads a Junior squad. I am assuming he is preparing himself for a head coaching job in collge.

Guentzel was the top recruiter and "offensive coordinator" for the program. I think he started to butt heads with Don and was shown the door.

I was able to see a lot of the top High School talent in the state this year, and one thing stood out to me about the kids that were coming to the gophers. Aside from Ben Marshall from Mahtomedi it seems to me that these kids are hesitant to initiate contact.

There were a few kids that really showed up and stood out so I look at where those kids are going. UND, UMD, Wisconsin. Whoops.

There was a kid from Roseau #9 Adam Knochenmus. Wasn't all state, isn't 6'3" (I think about 5'9") but remember his name. Against Edina, this kid was everywhere, hustling, checking, back checking, even down 3 goals this kids was skating around like his pants were on fire. I thought to myself, this is the kind of player we need at the U. Then I looked at who was recruiting him. UND. He will probably never be an NHL player, or first line player for a WCHA team. But he is exactly the kind of kid that helps you win games.

the only problem with role players is that you pass up on possible stars to sign them. Then everyone gets mad that you didnt sign the best players. Woog started to sign more role players over stars and he got fired. He was also loosing his mind too though. Its a no win.

Honestly, its about developing these guys. Lucia and his staff dont do it.

Before we made guys into role players and won titles. Flemming, Weibel to rattle off a couple.

One of the big reasons that Guentzal left is Hill. John did everything that Don wanted and was his B*&^ch. Hill got between Guentzal and Lucia and Guentzal lost out. Something has to change and it at least needs to be Hill or both of them. Hoping the coaching staff does a better job next year is not going to cut it.

Bear55 - I would rather lose the first game in the frozen four than miss the tourney completely.

Quote:
There was a kid from Roseau #9 Adam Knochenmus. Wasn't all state, isn't 6'3" (I think about 5'9") but remember his name. Against Edina, this kid was everywhere, hustling, checking, back checking, even down 3 goals this kids was skating around like his pants were on fire. I thought to myself, this is the kind of player we need at the U. Then I looked at who was recruiting him. UND. He will probably never be an NHL player, or first line player for a WCHA team. But he is exactly the kind of kid that helps you win games.

Knochs is a great player, I've watched him play since he was playing in the state tourney as a freshmen and won it, less playing time however. I think he lacks as a leader. He is one guy that didn't leave his hometown to play Juniors and did not have a lot help around him this year except for Omdahl. He is not big size-wise but can play hockey and scores goals, makes plays, hustles, and works hard. I think he has the ability to play in the NHL someday as he improves. He is still young. He would be a good fit for BSU after a year in Juniors, good luck to him wherever he goes.

Bear55 - I would rather lose the first game in the frozen four than miss the tourney completely.

Ha ha I knew that was coming, its all good you Sioux fans enjoy the post season we will be back in due time.

As Sioux fans use to tell me when Wooger was racking up WCHA titles and Final Four appearances "a National Title is the only thing that matters".

Guentzel was the top recruiter and "offensive coordinator" for the program. I think he started to butt heads with Don and was shown the door.

I was able to see a lot of the top High School talent in the state this year, and one thing stood out to me about the kids that were coming to the gophers. Aside from Ben Marshall from Mahtomedi it seems to me that these kids are hesitant to initiate contact.

I completely agree with you setterguy, Guentzel was a very important coach, replacing him with a very green Grant Potulny isn't going to cut it.

I would say 90% of our players are just plain soft, in the past we had the skill (powerplay) to make up for this softness but this has alwasy been an issue with me, we need some players who know how to throw their weight around. At least our smallest recruit has an edge to his game.

Hill is a bum, he goes wherever Lucia does. Potulny is joke. He hasnt earned it. Maybe someday he will be a good coach, but come on this is the U. Guentzel was a head coach in the USHL for like 6 years before becoming an assistant.

And now Potulny has hockey camps because of his affiliation with the Gophs.

Get rid on them all. Clean house. That is what we need.

Give me Blais, Guenzel a possible heads, maybe a Rohlick or someone as an assistant.

The players play as gritty as their coach will let them. Helgeson and Cepis want to play that way. Budish will get physical and White is going to have to hit more next year. I'd rather see them play fast, than have a bunch of goons like the Sioux. They do need to play stronger though.

We've never been a physical team nor do we need to be one to have success!

With more and more guys coming out of Juniors every year it does matter.

Yup I agree, the guys are getting older and more physical that they were 10 years ago.

I don't even think we need to get bigger, just tougher. Hoefel seemed to be the only guy willing to sit in front of the net at all.

No April fools joke, Blais signed a contract extension through 2015. The Gopher's better can Lucia and get Guezntel while they can.

Here is the text from the Grand Forks Herald -

Nebraska-Omaha coach Dean Blais, who led UND to national titles in 1997 and 2000, has signed a two-year contract extension with the Mavericks.

Blais is now under contract through 2014-15.

“The university is clearly committed to the success of the hockey program and I am committed to the job we began here last season,” Blais said. “My wife and I have come to enjoy Omaha and with this extension, I anticipate being able to finish my head coaching career at Omaha.”

Omaha will join the Western Collegiate Hockey Association next season.

With Minnesota’s struggles the last three years, boosters have continually mentioned Blais as a possible candidate if coach Don Lucia were to leave. Blais played at Minnesota in the 1970s.

Whoops, doesn't sound too rosy anymore. Guenzntel would probably be an upgrade to their current situation, but I think a broader search would be wise. It shouldn't be hard to convince an up and comer coach to take a shot with the Gopher program.

I didn't see this coming. What is wrong with Minnesota. They could have Blais at anytime. I wonder if there's stepulations in the contract on whether Blais can resign to take an offer from another team but I'm sure its doubtful.

You guys seem convinced that Blais should be drooling at the chance to coach the rodents.

I dont know if he was drolling, but there have been more than a few occasions where Blais said he wanted the Gopher job.

As far as who we get now, who knows. I have no idea who is out there. When we got Lucia he was an obvious choice. I dont see that out there now. Guentzel, sure but he just seems like the perfect assistant coach, not head coach. Why, I dont know.

I dont know what Lucia has worked out with our Director, but he manages to be the highest paid coach who can loose as much as he wants to.

I still think we need a change, clear out the hole staff. But I just dont know who would be a the man. Maybe we are stuck with Don for 2 more years. Hey, they rehired out football looser.

You guys seem convinced that Blais should be drooling at the chance to coach the rodents.

Its ok, if I was a Sioux fan I would be wishing Blais never left either.

Good grief guys! I actually thought there might be some breaking news here with 9 reply's! smile

The extension talk has been known all season and is no surprise at all it's how the game works.

You can bet your arse he has an out to take either the Minnesota or North Dakota jobs if HE wants at ANY_TIME!!

Carry on!