• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Still gonna be ice?

There are 8 of us heading the 18 and fishing the 19 and 20. Is there still gonna be ice to fish on. Sounds like we are taking bombers out to where we are fishing. Any lures doing better than others? There will also be 2 guys which will be there first trip so hoping that I/we can make this a memorable one for them and make them want to go back up. Any info would be great

i think you might be ok but i talk to my buddie at sportsmen and they might start pulling houses off on the17th so i guess i would check daily i was up on thur and the ice looks like a lake

Anything happening up there at Sportsmans or Wiggy as for the "night" stuff. Sounds like we are going to be out and about thurs, fri and sat nights

sportsmens has a band every night and wig will have something on fri sat sat but i,m pretty sure they are closeing the road and pulling houses off this wed but if they dont you should have some good fishing

I was up yesterday, saturday the 11th. Went out of Adrians and the roads were horrible. They were talking bout closing the roads monday. Everyone was pulling houses off. As far as fishing goes, the two of us caught bout 50 walleyes/sauger. Caught a 23 incher. We also got broken off 3 times on big eyes. Majority of our fish were 13 inch sauger. But we did catch some real nice 16.5-19 in eyes. We caught all our fish on a plain red hook and yellow bead whith a bobber. We couldnt catch anything jigging. We were out bout 12 miles and the roads seemed to get better the further out u go but its real tough getting out the first 7 miles or so. Overall we still had a great time. Too bad it will pry be the last time we get out cause of the horrible roads.

There will be fishable ice all the way through April 14th - travel with trucks is another story.

The past 2 years trucks have been driving off of Graceton and Warroad the last weekend of the walleye season. With the river current, travel across 4 mile bay ends a lot sooner than travel out of Morris Pt, Warroad, etc.

ATV's and quads should have no problem for the next few weeks, most likely being safe until the end of the season.

apr 14 i find that hard to belive since this is one of the warmest its ever been in march maybe other years but not this one its started to honeycomb by or house already and ive never saw that this early a the years i,ve been up there,,but it could get cold i guess but i wouldnt count on it

its only honey comb on some roads at zipple.just remember when out and about this spring on wheelers do not go down any old roads find away to go around them or you could end up in the big pond.

ry ry I was told the bikini ice team will be at the wigwam that whole weekend. We will probably be in there getting maxed out a few times ourselves.

what i have noticed in the past that the roads get honey comb 1st and from all the slush and salt falling off the trucks and stuff can create slush hole and eat through the ice.thats why i pay close attention to wear the slush holes are.i have dropped through them before but didnt lose the 4wheeler but came close to it.as for the roads at zipple i have noticed bobber was getting honey comded a little bit but that road barely had any water on it.not sure about the other roads cause i dont fish out that deep.once the water goes down on the lake then the ice will start to get honey combed

North Central

Lake Name County Average Ice-Out

Earliest Ice-Out

Latest Ice-Out

Years of Data

Bemidji Beltrami April 26

April 11, 1945,'73

May 22, 1950

Itasca Clearwater April 23

April 9, 1945,'81

May 18, 1950

Kabetogama St. Louis April 28

April 13, 1998

May 18, 1996

Lk. of the Woods L.O.W. April 29

April 8, 2000

May 16, 1996

Leech Cass April 27

April 9, 1945

May 23, 1950

Pokegama Itasca April 24

April 6, 2000

May 10, 1996

McKinney Itasca April 19

March 31, 2000

May 6, 1996

Rainy Kooch. May 3

April 13, 1998

May 22, 1950

Winnibigoshish Cass/Itas. April 24

April 6, 2000

May 10, 1996

Average ice out for LOTW is April 29, and the earliest ever has been April 8th.

Temps look pretty cool starting this weekend. If I had to bet, there will be fishable ice until the end of the season.

Wigwam Resort will have the Bikini Ice Fishing Team around the bar Thurs, Friday and Saturday Nights! 4-Wheel Drive will be the band at the Wigwam on Friday and Saturday...Back by popular demand! These guys rocked the house about a month ago and everyone wanted them back, so here you go!

Hope to see you all here!

Wigwam Fisherman

http://climate.umn.edu/doc/ice_out/ice_out_historical.htm

I don't claim to be an expert, but it takes a lot more energy to melt lake ice compare to snow.

You have to believe these ice off dates by the UofM has to be within a few days of it actually being off. However, ice off and ice fishing are 2 different things.

Remember that the sun reflects off of the ice as most of its energy is reflected back towards the sky or your face (pretty easy to get tan/burnt this time of the year). The water under the ice is 33 degs as well, slowing the melt down. Snow is a lot easier to melt than ice, and with the cooler temps comming, it looks like it will preserve it again for a while.

Obviously consistant 50's with rain can change things pretty quick, but I'd have to bet there will still be fishing to be had into April.