• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Another Dog Down!

Grayfox

Mitch and I were going to go fishing this morning but I woke up around 2 A.M. and looked out and thought that maybe there was enough light to take another crack at the coyote population.

I tried to get Mit up but it was apparent that wasn't going to happen. I grabbed the gear and headed out.

1st set: I saw and heard nothing.

2nd set: I headed to a farm that is quickly becoming one of our best. The wind was out of the SE and I was sitting along a woodline on the East side of a picked cornfield. The road is to the North. I put the decoy and caller 30 yards to the SW of me. I started with a couple howls and sat back and scanned with the binoculars and thought I saw two sitting 200 yards South of me. I thought I saw them move but convinced myself that it must be a couple of stumps along the fence line. I howled a couple more times then switched to coyote and fox fight and immediately saw the two spots start running from left to right in front of me. I got on the coyote on the right and when he stopped at 140 yards I let fly with the

17 Rem and heard the bullet hit and down it went. The other one bugged out. I hit the pup distress for a bit then shut it off and that's when the tongue lashing started. She barked non stop for a few minutes and then would throw in a howl. I could barely see her through the binoculars so there was no point in looking through the scope. She eventually barked her way off and I scampered out to collect my nice male. I'm amazed at how good the coyotes in our area have looked this year. Only one had mange and all the others looked perfect.

3-6-10Dads6thcoyote001.jpg

3-6-10Dads6thcoyote002.jpg

GrayFox,

Well done. I don't preditor hunt but enjoy calling in game. I sure like reading about your hunts, thanks for posting.