• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

decoys and calls

jumpacablez

I have to say that reading this forum is getting me pumped for the turkey season. Now its time to gear up.

So I will be going to c abelas and the gander this weekend and was wondering, what the best bang for my buck is for decoys. was thinking of 2 feeding hens and a up right hen,

Tell me what you would use, brand and ball park price.

I am also on the prowel for a new slate, i have a glass call now but not sure i like the sound its really high pitched and i cant quiet it down for close range, so leaning towards a slate, was wondering what you guys all use for your slate call or what i should stay away from?

Any help is great help.

Thanks

Your basic flock that the big stores sell is two hens and a tom. That is a great place to start.

Calls??? Buy as many as possible. grin No matter how many you get, you'll always have your favorites. Get a good name brand slate and hope for the best. Most places will have some out that you can try. Buy one that sounds good to you as that will give you more confidence. I would also suggest a good box call. Same tips apply.

We're all looking towards the upcoming season.

Good luck!

I'm with DonBo. You don't use only one jig to go fishing! Besides, that's why they have all those pockets on a turkey hunting vest. It gives you something to do in the dark while you're using your fingers to find all of your calls and a striker...Gotta pick up a diaphragm call or two or three and ask one of the guys in the store to give you a quick lesson. It's the only call you can practice while you're driving that still allows you to keep your eyes on the road and both hands on the wheel. Best of all, no hands or movement required with the diaphragm call when you've got your gun pointed at the incoming gobbler. laugh

I agree with Donbo and Engfish. Depending on your season and hunting pressure, you might wanna try a decoy that has some motion. Last year I bought a Swinging Hen decoy made by primos about half way through my season because the birds where always hanging up just outside of range. I put it out and attached some monofilament to the decoy and the first day in use, it produced. Also, you can never have too many calls.