• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I know it's always a [PoorWordUsage] shoot and some think a thread like this is pointless, but some of you have been around a lot of years and might have a good guess at when the water will soften around the DL area.

Just an example, four out of the last six years I put my dock in on Pelican the weekend that was closest to the 15th of April, 15th one year 16th next, couple years ago it was the Thursday after that weekend.

Onemagnum, I am a pelican Laker as well, you are right about consistency as of late. What bay are you in.

I will go with the 17th as my guess this year for Pelican. Hopefully it doesnt refreeze like it did in my bay a few years back

April 18 for South Twin near Naytahwaush!!!! I always start getting the itch for open water so it's not a pointless thread. Middle of April is my guess

This year we have a bit more snow and less ice than the last couple years. With a normal spring I am going to guess early April for ice free lakes - April 10th.

HAHA, yes I do remember now. I always forget who is who with these names people use. Will you be back, or did you find another place.

Still come down, but have a place at Lake of the Woods so spend most of the time up there.

Scott, the name came from my extra large chocolate lab, Magnum. Magnum was used so I had to add something to it.

HAHA, if that is how we come up with names I would have to be pewee or something. My lab forgot to grow. She is only 47lbs.

LOTW, cant complain about that.

I will have to say April 10th on South Twin. I normally put in a guess for Twin since its the only lake I can know for sure when it comes off. I think it will be a little earlier this year since the ice isn't quite as think as previous years.

This is my first spring as a cabin owner so I'm excited to get out and see what the water's like. We bought the place in the winter. We've seen it in the summer but it wasn't our shorline then so I didn't pay as much attention as I should have. Maybe out go out with a lawn chair on April 1 and just wait for it.

Did the lakes open up yet? I sure wish I was being serious with that question. Anybody think we will have any high water, flooding in the spring in the lakes area this year.

Lake waconda is wide open!!!! Oh thats right Im in Kansas! Its been 50 plus degrees everyday!

Be safe everyone!

Im sure the ice will go quicker as it is not real thick this year.

Im going to go with April 9. This warm temps and all the water on top of the ice has to be taking it quick. A few windy days in early april could open it quick

Anybody want to change their prediciton? Are we finally going to get an early ice out. Looking out my window in Bloomington, I have no more snow and it is 55. I imagine my cabin has 10 foot drifts, but this weather has to be chewing up that ice up there. Pelican lake, April 12th? That would be nice.

The Red River will crest a week early this year. They released from the reservoirs a week early. The warm weather is about a week early. Could be that the ice will come off a week early.

I bet the folks up there would like this thaw to freeze a couple times to slow it down. I just cant believe that Fargo has done pretty much nothing to fix their problem. Not real smart. Grand Forks at least did something about it.

We up here in Fargo want to get something done to fix the problem, but the government got involved so we should have it fixed in about 20 years or so.

" I just cant believe that Fargo has done pretty much nothing to fix their problem. Not real smart. Grand Forks at least did something about it." Really?! I hope something is being done about it since I am paying a higher sales tax to fix the problem. By the way, Grand Forks did not fix the problem in one summer. This will take years like eyehunter mentioned. Maybe having an educated opinion would be more beneficial than just an opinion.

Skitter, this isnt one year. pretty sure the river has been flooding for a long time. Doesnt look much diferent form when i was up there 12 years ago sandbagging. maybe instead of disaster relief funds they can get some preventive money. Or ND being a surplus state, might be able to do something without a hike in taxes. I dont know the fix, but doing nothing isnt going to help. Gonna need more than college kids sandbagging.

Your right eye, with the gov involved youll get nothing done. Well except multi million dollar assessments of what might fix something. But never get executed.

I wish you luck. hopefully it will go easy on the community this year.

Thanks for saying that Skitterpop. I didn't know how to say it in a nice way. I actually have done a LOT of work on the South Fargo Flood protection. We actually worked on it for a couple of years. The Corp of Engineers took it over after the flood last year, and like I said before, it will take time to get it done now that the Federal Government is involved, but they also have the funding required to complete a project of this magnitude. And like Skitterpop said, Grand Forks started their flood protection after the 1997 flood, it was just completed 3 years ago.

I have lived in Fargo for 36 years now. Attended k-12 and NDSU so I know what flooding looks like. There will always be flooding in Fargo unless somehow we can change the flow from north to flowing south. Probably not going to happen smile. That is the really big reason we suffer so.

The ground stays frozen as runoff water flows north. Unfortunately, the ground thaws from south to north in the valley. By the time the frost is usually out, the river is cresting or near close. Again this year the ground was saturated and we had alot of moisture. Plus, the temps have not dropped below freezing for 8 days now and we had rain rain rain. Perfect conditions again for a big flood. We can build protection but you can never stop the river from busting out of its banks (unless the water table could drop or we hit another drought like back in the late 80's).

As was mentioned we are a surplus state but in reality we could use money from the feds.

They are doing everything they can but Fargo doesnt recieve enough $$. There is currently a 25 million dollar diversion going up in oak port. And in 8-10 years a diversion running water around town. Get the facts straight before you start saying stuff you no nothing about.

However, I do know a significant amount about it. I have had family there for 80 years. I also know a few people on the planning board and on the council for such things. I have heard their frustrations and some of the positive things. I also speak quite regularly with lobbyist(maybe not the right title for these folks) who are at both capitals, mainly STP, that are both speeding things up and slowing things down.

ND does have money, they are one of a few states that still makes it at the end of the year. Unfortunateley it can be very hard to use your money along side the governments money, once you ask for help.

Kurt, you dont know me, I havent attacked anyone, I wished people luck, as I will while sandbagging. Perhaps you can express without attacking.

Anyways, back to the lakes, I am hoping for a ice out a week earlier than the last few. There are few hundred crappies that want to be caught and released by me.

Sorry about that. The way you said they are doing nothing made me think that. Didnt mean to come off like a [PoorWordUsage]. I have met with the hydrologist for the FM are and its not that they are doing nothing. Its just that it takes about 10 yrs to get everything approved. Again your right i dont know you, didnt mean to jump down your throat.

Sorry about that. The way you said they are doing nothing made me think that. Didnt mean to come off like a [PoorWordUsage]. I have met with the hydrologist for the FM are and its not that they are doing nothing. Its just that it takes about 10 yrs to get everything approved. Again your right i dont know you, didnt mean to jump down your throat.

Figured so. I am a little testy myself today. I could have worded it better. I am frustrated from far away. I would just like all of you to get a break one of these years up there. Nothing moves fast enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...