• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Lostbay

rainy river alternative

Lostbay

I usually fish the rainy river first week of April. It seems most years I miss the hot bite for one reason or another. I want to have an alternative this year on the lake ice fishing.

Can someone just give some basic info as to the walleye ice fishing on LOW in early April. I would like to stay close to Baudette. First of all do I need a guide/resort to take me out? I have a 4wd truck and gps lake chip but haven't been on the lake before. I imagine there must be good fishing near the mouth of the Rainy as the walleyes are heading into river. Is this spot near shore? Is it even walkable to access? Maybe even drivable by truck still at this point in April?

If a service is necessary, can anyone recommend one? It would just be for one day, what should I expect to pay? Not sure if having all my own gear matters with a guide/resort.

Thanks for any help available.

bopper4

We have been up the last weekend of march and the middle of april on snowmobile. 4 mile bay out of adrians is usually pretty hairy by April. Fishing has been great for us out on the mud flats as well as the reefs and we have had some great days in close by light house gap/pine island. The last couple of years there have been trucks driving out of graceton beach in the middle of april. Actually, last year there were even a few trucks out 20 miles or so on the reefs at the end of march. Personally, when my house comes off next weekend I will be done driving for the year and only taking my sled.

badknee

I have always wondered about the river myself.Do you fish the channel by the resorts? I have seen groups of houses before.

kidfish

You can usually take a 4 wheeler out of Morris Point to about 28 feet of water and catch fish anywhere out there in April. We've done well, around 100-200 fish in an afternoon, with 3 guys. No houses are really necessary, and even walking a mile or so is an option too. All the fish seem to stage out there, waiting to run up the river.

Lostbay

Thanks kidfish. Is Morris Point accessible by road and have parking(I'm new to LOW) I assume its right near the mouth? Is it really about a mile to some decent fishing? I'll walk a mile but not five.

vman11

You will access the ice at Morris Point Resort and go from there. If you have the chance bring a quad/sled to move around.

There are 2 gaps where the river flows in - Morris Point Gap and Lighthouse Gap, near the MN/Canuck border. Both will produce.

Don't be afraid to try around 13 during the morning/evening and 30 in the afternoon.

Lostbay

Vman11: is that a walkable distance? No quad or sled available. However I will pull a sled a little ways for good fishing.

Also can someone explain what is meant by gap, is it a channel between islands?(again I'm new). On the map it looks pretty wide open right off Morris point all the way to the mouth.

Thanks all.

fishuhalik

I remember talking to the bait shop owner, the guy that frequents this forum, I can't remember his name, when we were out sturgeon fishing last year and he said they were absolutely pounding the walleyes on the ice in the main lake. As was stated earlier, they were just staging to spawn. A ton of fish, and they got some HOGS too. I kinda wanna try throwing out some tipups with a gob of crawlers right next to the open water sometime and try for a sturgeon through the ice. A 60+lb fish caught with my bare hands, YEEEEEEEHAW!

binsfeldnick

Another spot to try may be the graceton beach area just west of morris point. Have had some decent fishing there in april. If you can walk a mile you will find some fish.