• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Marshall Area Lakes?

I'm going to be moving out to the Marshall area for my new job starting in 2 weeks. Of course one of the first things on my mind was what lakes are worth fishing!

I've done the DNR and Lakemaster book checks but hopefully I can get some input from anyone in the area. Looks like a lot of walleye/perch lakes with a few crappie lakes potentially?

Luckily those are my favorite species but also wanted to know if there were any decent bluegill lakes or anything else worth hitting? - Already have a few that peaked my interest but hopefully a few people on here are from that area and can give me some basic info!

I still would like to drill a few holes before hauling the boat over!

THANKS!

Welcome to the Area! What/where is your new job if you dont mind telling me? Will you be living there year round for a while or just a little while?

Anyway the area lakes that have good walleyes/perch are Lake Hendricks, Lake Benton lake, Del-Clark(canby mn) Lake Shaokatan, Dead Coon(by Arco mn), West twin, and Perch Lake. All thoses lakes have good walleye/perch and Pike fishing but just have to find them and know how to catch them.

Bluegills...now thats a different story i not really sure where to catch them at. Hendricks said they the dnr found some in there but just need the habitat for them to grow.

Now these lakes someone else might not think are good lakes but hopefully it helped out.

Welcome to Marshall. I just hope you are used to dishpan lakes. grin One lake that landscaper left out is Wood (Margarite) Lake. That lake has had some good years. It's also one of the deepest in the area. Most lakes around here max out at around 8 feet, but I believe Woody can hit at least 14. School Grove and Lady Slipper have produced good in the past. I really don't know any lakes that will give you consistent perch action, unless you're happy with 5 inchers, and gills are pretty rare around here.

Thanks I will be over there permanently for a quite a while (HOPEFULLY) Got a job with the DNR as a wildlife technician based out of Camden State Park.

Thanks for the info that is all I was really looking for was the best options. If there are any crappie lakes (surveys showed a few that looked promising) that would probably be where I'd start. I may have to ask about a few lakes that I saw in reports later on. I thought a few of the lakes showed promise for perch with some size but maybe I'll target the eyes and crappies and hope to luck out on some nicer perch!

Yes I live near St. James now which is East and South of Marshall so fishing the shallow and fairly structureless lakes is nothing new.

Focused on the move and getting an apartment and all that stuff but hopefully I can get a little time on the ice yet, but by open water I should be out a bunch more!

Welcome to Marshall. Glad to see another Beaver Fan is moving in. I am also a BSU grad and moved to Marshall about a year and a half ago. Shoot me an email if you ever want to go fishing sometime @ [email protected].

Brawner lake, (connected to Camden State Park), has sunfish, although I can't vouch for the size, and bass. Not sure if there's any other species in there or not. Otherwise Del Clark by Canby used to have decent sunnies I think.

i have been told the river running thru Camden also has trout, although I've never fished for them there

Welcome, I fish the area quite a bit, Know the lakes real well I think anyway..HA

I have fished over by st james/sleepy eye and it is quite different than around here.

I will be willing to give you any advice if you want it.

Just email me

Later

i have been told the river running thru Camden also has trout, although I've never fished for them there

Aint this the wrong thread for you teejay?? LOL

Lake benton is a good lake to fish. Fished a few springs and have done good.

brawner lake is loaded but ya size is less than desirable. i'd like some help with trout fishing there. never saw one there this fall (or ever) but should be fun for u to try after work

Thanks for ALL of the replies and can't wait to get some place to stay over there! Went over today and its going to be a chore to get something but I've only got about 12 days to get something figured out!

I went to Camden and talked to the Managers over there and they are very nice I am excited to get started!

I can actually sorta answer a few questions... Brawner lake does have gills and nicer bass I've been told. There is an access on the lake but the road was snowed in so i couldn't check how big the lake is. Didn't ask if there were any boat/motor restrictions on it though! The river is stocked in the spring for trout. You can be sure I'll get as much info on everything in the park (maybe even a good trout spot or two!!!!!) Never have chased them though but should consider it!

PKimmen that is really cool... I am waiting for the Beavers hockey team to play in the Big Tourney as I am a huge fan of the team and my bro is currently on the baseball team so I'm still attached to the school. I graduated in spring 2008. If you have Face.... maybe I should add ya, we maybe knew some of the same people. Worked in the rec center A LOT as well! My goal is to fish evenings after work mostly (play softball, hit the hometown lakes, or visit the gf on weekends) or else I'll be watching the TWINS games on TV LOL! -

Thanks Hamrej23 as well... I'm always up for any info. More of a technique or method info person over spots. I'm not the type of person to go stealing something you worked hard to get! But any and all info is appreciated!

Thanks to everyone else as well... Once I get a place and hopefully a garage or storage to hold my boat, I'll be out there!

Did it look like anyone has been fishing Brawner lake?

Also you are looking for a place in marshall or around marshall right to stay(rent??)

If so i thought i had a friend with a place but i think it is taken.

Just driving by it looks like it hasn't been touched since the last snow fall at least. I don't know if the park clears the road to get down there, but it didn't look like a vehicle would get through it.

I'm planning to rent something most likely. Looking in the surrounding area first like in Tyler or some of the other small towns hoping its cheaper!

Heading a tad bit south of Marshall you can hit Sarah and Shetek. Yankton has also produces some nice eyes.

Brawner has tons of silver dollar sized sunnies, but they also have some nice largemouth. Outboards are not allowed on the lake. I use my canoe with a trolling motor. Last summer was extremely tough to fish, due to the weed growth. The extra water this year might help. I did get a bass about 19 1/2" last summer, out of there. If you want to meet up for some trout fishing this spring, let me know. I spend alot of time at the park, not just fishing but also photographing. I know Bill and Elizabeth at the park quite well. On May 22 I'll be conducting a beginner's nature photography workshop at Camden. Hopefully, we'll meet up sometime.

[email protected]

Sounds good I should be around quite a bit I would imagine... Both Sarah and Shetek were already on my radar. I was actually over there for the Sarah Saturday a few years ago and my friends camp at Shetek a lot so I've been fishing there but haven't had a boat out on it yet. Probably going to try to avoid it around opener unless some crappies get going! smile

Welcome to the area mr_man, I moved here 6 yrs ago and have found the areas fishing to be okay, you will find walleye is okay but real hot or cold a few perch and crappie fishing can be good but for good sunfish you might as well drive north or east as there are none to be had except for the dinks in brawer.

Sounds good I should be around quite a bit I would imagine... Both Sarah and Shetek were already on my radar. I was actually over there for the Sarah Saturday a few years ago and my friends camp at Shetek a lot so I've been fishing there but haven't had a boat out on it yet. Probably going to try to avoid it around opener unless some crappies get going! smile

Hey, I went to BSU as well, Well actually I still go, just online now so Im back in the area farming. I fish a lot north of Marshall, Del clark, Lac qui parle, MN river are what I frequent the most. Shoot me an email at [email protected] I sure don't mind helping someone out, especially from BSU. I also have a lot of good hunting spots, and spearing if you are into that at all. There are definitely some hidden gems in the area when you find them.

Love to hunt and now that I'll be this far west I might have to do a little more waterfowl but love the pheasants and deer! Never gone spearing but its also something I wouldn't mind trying! It all seems a ways off right now so really looking forward to trying to catch a few fish this spring and summer. Last open water season I probably got out 30 - 35 times or more. Hope to get out even more if I have more day shifts.

Next winter if you want to give spearing a shot, let me recommend Lime lake in Avoca.

I'm with you on staying away from Sarah around the opener. It can get busy out there.

You were at the Sarah Saturday?!??! I thought I remembered everyone out there. Guess the wife is right when she tells me I have a bad case of CRS. grin I'd be more than happy to head out on Sarah or Shetek with ya. Lake Wilson doesn't suck at time either. But, as was already said, it can either be real hot or stone cold depending on it's mood.

Mr_Jman when ever you get time give me a shout on my E-mail account. [email protected]

You picked a good area to settle down in that is for sure. It all depends on how much winter kill we get that way now. I know you fished St. James a lot as did I but it just saddens me to see the pictures of that lake and all the dead fish. Just a shame.

Yes its extremely odd to drive by and see no one fishing it. Now that the houses are pulled off the lake, its just bare! March has been one of the best months to get on St James for the late ice pannies, but I will probably pass and have fished elsewhere.

- I was at the first Sarah Saturday maybe three years ago already? I didn't get there right away so I just drove out and set up... I had been on a really good evening bite on a different lake, so I left around 3:30 or so to get back. Then I got home and found out everyone moved out deeper and got on some perch/crappies/eyes! I got skunked that day. Still fun to see the 100's of perch move in on my reel weeds all day long. Couldn't get a biter though! smile

- I'll be a lot closer if there is another one!

Hey mr_jman, just wondering what you went to school for? I am seriously thinking about going to school for Wildlife and fisheries science at SDSU. Just wondering if this was what you went for? And if so, how you liked it and how difficult it was to land a job? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

I actually went for parks and rec management so my classes were geography heavy but I took wildlife classes as well, and got an AS degree in wilderness management from Vermilion in Ely. I got my Bachelors in Geography with a Park & Rec Mgmt and GIS Emphasis.

I enjoyed all of the classes that really dealt with the outdoors and the planning side of things. Unfortunatley you take classes you probably won't enjoy as much. One thing is if you ever take dendrology (plant and tree identification!) Take the time to learn them because you'll be surprised how important it is to know them while working! I didn't take it as seriously as I should have so now I try to remember all the plants when I get told what they are!

If you go with the fisheries and wildlife side more than you'll take A LOT of biology and sciece related courses. If you like the outdoors then its not a bad route to go because you will get to work outdoors!

Landing the year round job took me a while - graduated in May of 08 and just got one. It may be easier in different fields and a good "in" to the DNR is to look in the spring because a lot of seasonal jobs open up... a lot of the seasonal state park jobs and a few others seemed to open up every spring before the camping season starts! It gives good experience and looks good on the resume.

Thanks for the info. Yes I love the outdoors and spend most of my time hunting and fishing. Thought this would be a great opportunity for me to have a job that I enjoy. I graduated with a two year degree (A.A) two years ago or so. I couldnt decide what to get my bachelors degree in so I began working as a laborer in field drainage. Would like to explore a different route that I enjoy. Give back to the environment, fish, and wildlife. I think its a big deal to try and get a job that you enjoy as I will be doing it for probably the next 35-40 years (I'm 24). Biology will be a big factor, and also be a little stressful. But I just have to get through it and think of the future. I have been in contact with some people who work for the DNR, and others in related fields, they all say they love it. any other help or info you could give me would be great as well. thanks

mr_jman,

I have not been on here for a while but thought of something today. If you are looking for a place outside of Marshall to rent, I know someone who may have an apartment at an old farmhouse to rent. Shoot me an email if you are interested and I can check into it for you. My email is [email protected]. It can be tricky to find a place to live around here....

Get ready for the NCAA regional....Go Beavers.

I actually found an apartment in Tyler. Probably start to move in this weekend actually! With all the rain I'm not sure if i'll be getting on the ice in that area. I'll have to get the boat ready! Thanks for the offer though!

The Beavers will be on TV if they make it to the CHA championship on saturday. Its at 7pm on CBSC most cable providers carry it so look for it!!!!!