• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Harley is a good boy.

setterguy

The time that I have dreaded for 13 years is upon me. I have scheduled the appt. for Thursday morning. I simply needed a few days with him to myself.

I got Harley when I was 20. Way too young to get a dog, but way too young to know better.

Harley taught me about training dogs. I remember more than once getting the look from him that he knew I had no idea what I was doing. Despite my shortcomings he turned into a very serviceable pheasant dog. He was never going to win any field trials, and didn't have the best nose ever but he didn't care and neither did I.

As happens all too often once my kids arrived, my time with my dogs was cut short. Hunts didn't happen as often. Our bi weekly hikes in the woods were few and far between. Harley didn't care. As long as he had soft place to lay down and put his head on my lap he was happy.

I've been watching the years creep up on him, graying his muzzle, thinning out an already frail frame, and recently taking away what little muscle mass he had. He could still get around fine, blood work was all normal was in overall good spirits although he had started to favor his back leg a bit he could still jump up on my bed so I wasn't too concerned.

After being gone all day Saturday I woke up to him falling down the stairs trying to come up to greet me. I let him out and while trying to do his thing, he fell over again. That's it. Life has become a hassle for him. He deserves better.

The last few days have been hard, but now watching more closely than ever I know that he isn't enjoying himself. The spark is gone, and the incessant tail wagging that used to come when I would say "Harley is a good boy!" Has turned into a single frail thump.

Sometimes I cry because of what he has become. Sometimes because of how much I'll miss him. Sometimes because of the unconditional trust that he has in me, and the decision that I am forced with. Sometimes for no reason at all.

I will miss my dog Harley, he is a good boy.

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0006.jpg

Sorry to hear it, SG... I always like to believe this one will come true...

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Harley IS a good boy.

Sorry to hear about Harley. I had to put my Vizsla down a few weeks ago, and it still tears me up, but you are making the right choice, even if it is very hard.

Sorry to hear about Harley. Wouldn't it be nice if they could live the same time frame as we humans. It is a respnsibility we take on the day we bring our new friends home. It is realy the one joyless attribute todog ownership... the chewed shoes, pee on the floor, barking at the mailman all become mute events in the life of our buddies. We end up relishing them in the end.

Keep all the fond memories of Harley in your heart, mind and soul and he will always walk by your side...

Godspeed Harley!

Harley is a good boy!

Ken

Brings tears to my eyes whenever I read one of these stories. having posted one myself I know what you're going through. Good luck to you and god bless both of you. Just remember you are doing the right thing.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I feel for you. frown

I love my dogs too.

setterguy -

Sorry to hear about your buddy. It is tough to have to lose a good friend like that.

I got this in an email a while back and thought it was a pretty good story that is supposed to have come from a vet. IMO, it is very true.

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog’s owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn’t do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker ’s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ”I know why.”

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I’d never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.

He said,”People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life — like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?” The Six-year-old continued,

”Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”

Sorry to hear that it's vary hard thing to go through I had to do it about 10 years ago and still remember it like it was yesterday. I have a Lab that is too old to hunt and am dreading the day that I will have to do that. It's the right thing for Harley.

SG - So sorry to hear. My sincere condolences.

He'll be with you forever.

Harley is a good boy!

HB

Sorry to hear that the time has come for you to make that decision. Tough to do and I am dreading when that day will come for me again.

Give Harley a little extra pat on the head from me.

Thanks for sharing those pictures and I wish you the best. It is a very sad to hear.

Best wishes,

"hooks"

Tough to read this one as we went through this two weeks ago.

My dad say's dogs come into you life and you give them all the love you have and you know what they just leave way to early.

I wish you the best.

Harley is a good boy.

Sifty

I'm saying an extra prayer for you and Harley tonite, so that tomorrow, you'll know in your heart that you did the right thing, and when it's over that Harley is young, happy, and healthy again, and one day, you'll be reunited to an eager, wagging tail when you call out to him that "Harley is a good boy!!!"

Thanks everyone for the kind words...I feel really good about how everything went today. Harley wasn't scared, I was able to hold him and talk to him as he drifted away. It was all very peaceful. It was very therapeutic to write some thoughts down here.

I just hope whatever new hunting partner he has now is a better shot than the one he was stuck with down here for 13 years wink

Again thanks everyone. Your kind words really did help the last few days.

Sorry about the loss setterguy and glad to hear you did the right thing and deep down know it. RIP Harley!

Sad! frown So sorry about the loss!

I have a lab that will be 9 in a few months. Stories like this make me cherish each day I have with him a little bit more. I'm not looking forward to the day I lose him at all.