• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

Nice job Tom. 21 lines makes the odds increase quite a bit dont it. wink

I got blown off this afternoon but did mangage 1 coho and 1 laker along with 1 small eye. Hit the harbor and alouiz and did better in there. Got a quick (2 lol) limit of eyes and made it home in time to cut the hay field. grin

Tom your bait tip worked. Thanks!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

We got a late start on Sunday and never set a line until 8:45.

Water was flat and we had overcast skies, first fish was a 4 lb laker on the boy,girl

michigan stinger which proved to be the hot lure of the day taking three more nice lakers between 22-25"s.

Cohos came on stick baits in the top 20 ft of water.

best color was a clown pattern smithwick super rogue.

Had one hard hit late in the day that had to be king but was lost on the first run.

We fished from the McQuade landing to the pump house and over to the entry area.

We spotted scattered schools of cohos in 90fow in the dirty water but they didn't like what we through at them.

ended up going 6-8 with some really nice sized fish for the smoker.

Lakers where everywhere in the water column, we took fish down 100 in 110 fow and fish right on top. I miss the Gitch already.

All the lakers where packed full of smelt and both cohos had rowe developing already.

best color was a clown pattern smithwick super rogue.

Had one hard hit late in the day that had to be king but was lost on the first run.

We fished from the McQuade landing to the pump house and over to the entry area.

We spotted scattered schools of cohos in 90fow in the dirty water but they didn't like what we through at them.

ended up going 6-8 with some really nice sized fish for the smoker.

Lakers where everywhere in the water column, we took fish down 100 in 110 fow and fish right on top. I miss the Gitch already.

All the lakers where packed full of smelt and both cohos had rowe developing already.

Funny, late in our day we patterened it down to a wonderbread spoon and a black headed clown bomber, most of our fish had small herring in their bellies.

The plan was for Loonasea and I to get out on the big pond but Randy came down with a nasty summer time cold so with the weather almost perfect I went out by myself. I took off looking for baitfish and after about 5 miles I decide maybe I better just troll and see what I could find. I really never did find any schools anywhere but did catch a nice 28" Lake Trout that I released. It was caught on a dipsy with a chartreuse and pink Dreamweaver with a green and white fly. I also had one other fish on but it got off at about 75' from the boat. My best guess it was a Coho cause it hit my shallow running smelt pattern. I ended up so far out that I thought I may as well go troll for Walleyes in front of the Poplar river and there were some baitfish but no fish anywhere so I decide to pull everything in and call it a day. About the time I was ready to take off there was some nice marks under baitfish- Oh well I had enough fun for one day.

The water temps varied from 53 when I was over 100' to 68 out in front of the poplar river.

Grant it was muddier there than amnicon to the entry. If we dont get rain it should all be good by thurs. Only was out about 3 hours and didnt do much.

oh really? bummer. lol the extended forecast shows rain just about every day now till sunday haha. oh well, im guessing it will change as the lake changes the weather daily.

hey jimalm what was the water clairity like down by the polar?

I was out in 30' to 35' and at the time the water was muddy and after today it will be a lot worse. At the time there was very few baitfish and about the time I hit 40' was when I started to see baitfish and fish marks but by that time I was ready to go home.

Loonasea was feeling up to it today so went hit the water around 6:15 and about the time we got out of the Wis. entry we started to mark all sorts of smelt so we started fishing. We headed out to the green water and about the time we got close I caught a nice 30" Lake Trout on a deep running plug in a firetiger pattern. What a great fight but the bad part was I forgot my camera. We released it to swim for another day. We kept working the stained water and as it was clearing we moved down towards Dutchman's and was able to keep finding smelt. We ended up with a nice 21" Coho that was caught on a spoon behind a flasher and a small Lake Trout on the same combo and missed one more before the wife called Randy to tell us it was thundering in Carlton. Jim needs to turn on his cell phone wink

Started raining about the time we got the boat loaded - perfect timing grin

Made it out yesterday afternoon with the wife a kids for just a couple of hours. The surface temps were around 62 degrees where we fished in the middle. We stayed right around 80' of water. Fishing was decent as we had our chances with a short window. The boys had a hard time keeping the Salmon on the line unfortunely. Skunk spoon was good as well as Grape Lemonade. We had various tatics in our spread but most of the fish were actively biting around that 50'-65' down although we had bites at other depths too.

Well, off to Lake Michigan Weds. for some Steelhead and King action!

Quote:

That should be a blast !

Sounds like there is a pretty good bite with some real nice Kings being caught during the lowlight period.

Made it out yesterday afternoon with the wife a kids for just a couple of hours. The surface temps were around 62 degrees where we fished in the middle. We stayed right around 80' of water. Fishing was decent as we had our chances with a short window. The boys had a hard time keeping the Salmon on the line unfortunely. Skunk spoon was good as well as Grape Lemonade. We had various tatics in our spread but most of the fish were actively biting around that 50'-65' down although we had bites at other depths too.

What port are you fishing out of on michigan?

End of the line, let us know how things go out there. Trying to get a trip together in mid July to Algoma.

Going out of Algoma. Got room for one more anyone interested???? Last minute cancelation due to illness in the family.

I am sure it will go good as long as the weather is somewhat co-operative. Went last year same time and heading back in Aug too.

If you dont fill your boat and you want another crew member I know a guy from Green Bay area that might hop on and fill a seat and give you 3 more lines. He is also very experienced!

Also want to mention the guys up in Sturgeon bay are hitting them allot beter than the guys out of algoma

Over here on the other side of the lake, the typical summer pattern has developed for the most part. Surface temps are mid 50 to over 60 in some areas. So, now, the major fish pursued will be Lake Trout. For me, this means the biggest ones I can find for myself, friends and clients. Gotta love a 20lb + Laker bulldogging on the end of the line... But, we are still finding some salmon and other trout around yet too. Salmon seem to be in the top 50 feet yet, in the South Channel to the refuge line and scattered into the islands as well..

Today, we ventured offshore for Lakers, where we racked up quite a few fishes. We fished from 140 to 180 near a steep drop and had 8 fish over 30 inches with a couple over 20lbs. The majority of the rest were 25 inches to 30 and we also brought 1 king and 1 brown to the net as well. Dodger/Flasher with a spin&glo program was the ticket. 5 fish were kept, rest were released, including all the big trout.

062110bridweb.jpg

062110web.jpg

062110releaseweb.jpg

062110kenweb.jpg

How long do you need to wait for the water to clear up before the walleye get going. I have not been around during the summer months and don't know the routine. I did well out on the south shore last fall and hope to pick up that bite during the summer.

tjo

End of the Line,

What dates are you looking at?

My two regular guys have cancled on me due to economics and we usually go somehere for the 15-25 of July.

I have fished Algoma 3 times in the past but the last 5 years have been fishing Baileys and Gills Rock as the bite has been better there.

I would be interested in your open seat if the dates work out.

Thanks, the only thing I don;t have gear wise is a wire rig as I don't fish wire and mono at the same time. that can get expensive with a wild fish.

This is my first year on Lake Superior so I really don't know but I will report when and if we find them because that is one of the fish that I plan on targeting very soon. I do know that some are pick a few up but for the most part I think that it is just getting started as the water is getting warm enough.

fishgutz77 Joel was looking for someone to go this Wed. through Sunday. The info was posted in the Algoma Fishing report by the Fishing Magician.

Really wish that I could go but...

Don't think the wife would go for that wink

End of the Line,

What dates are you looking at?

My two regular guys have cancled on me due to economics and we usually go somehere for the 15-25 of July.

I have fished Algoma 3 times in the past but the last 5 years have been fishing Baileys and Gills Rock as the bite has been better there.

I would be interested in your open seat if the dates work out.

Thanks, the only thing I don;t have gear wise is a wire rig as I don't fish wire and mono at the same time. that can get expensive with a wild fish.

We are leaving tomorrow around noon or 1.

Normally by now we are getting eyes all the way down Park Point and the SS. This year not only the river but the lake have been DEAD. I mean DEAD! Water never is consistant. Muddy for a while then clearing only to get more rain and winds and muddy up again. Now its MUDDY and tons of trees/logs etc. out there.

If we ever get 4 or 5 days of stable weather it may pick up but as of now all your doing is washing lures. Your better off going out to the cleaner waters and chasing lakers and salmon. Unless your into washing lures. wink

I was really surprised to see how much junk was in the water. Here I thought that was a spring thing but it is worse now then ever.

Thanks, anyway guys.

I thought you were going in July.

Re reading the post I see now that he said wednesday,.

Jim, I give you a shout when I'm headed for the Gitch again it would be fun to fish together when the water isn't hard.

That sounds great !

If the weather holds me and the wife are going out in the morning and give it a try. We will give a report on how the newby is doing on the Big Lake grin

Learning something new every time.

It was a great day to be on the lake but it ended up being a lure washing contest cry

We got 1 small Coho and that was the only hit all day. It looked like something hit my Flashers or it could have been the dipsy a couple of times and we mark a lot of fish in amongst the baitfish. Went through a bunch of spoons and a couple different flashers and plugs but they would have nothing to do with any of it.

Did you happen to pull any flasher/fly/smelt rigs at all. Im going to pull some spoons and try that meat rig as well tomorrow. Also some leadcore and sticks. Anyone else going out in the morning? If so give me a call or holler on the radio. I hope its not too foggy. I hate the fog!