• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

My boys and I decided to head out on Superior again today so we didnt have to deal with the crowds on the walleye opener. We took my good friend Alan with us as well and had a blast! The weather was perfect and the fishing was pretty good too. I saw alot of nets swinging out there today and everyone seem to have some fish at the Loon's Foot Landing when we came in today. Board lines were the best with some fish coming off the dipseys as well. An old watermelon Thunderstick was the best bait on the boards and the smaller Teddy bear spoon behind the dipsey were the two best baits of the day. Ended the morning with 8 Cohos and 3 Lakers. Here's a few pics....

img1754t.jpg

img1762yf.jpg

img1765w.jpg

img1767e.jpg

img1757u.jpg

img1760z.jpg

img1770dj.jpg

img1774k.jpg

img1782ay.jpg

Hit the water around 6:15 this morning on my cousins boat the "GO DEEP". We found coho on the surface right away about 2 miles out of the entry. The 57 chev,clown and little guppy stick baits were hot. After the bite slowed on the surface we turned to the riggers about half down and off the botttom with spoons. Gold with orange dots took a nice laker on a full copper and few other came from riggers. We ended up 15 for 20 or so by 1:00 in the afternoon. We kept the speed close to 3 mph even while fishing the lower water coulumn for lakers. No kings this weekend. The 5 color lead was the only dead rod. Surface temp up to 47 degrees all ready. Also got a DNR check while trolling. We even managed to lose a fish for them while they were checking our gear.

4612883959_3005be663b_m.jpg

4612884557_909ae2b8ed_m.jpg

Great job 2 the point! Me and my friend were out there also today. we got 8 salmon (3 of them small kings)and 6 lakers. Only a few on riggers the rest on top. weather was the best dont get many days like that on the gitch. lots of boats out. I talked to a few other boats that did well also. I cant believe there are so many cohos. The year of the coho!!! some day i will take the time to post pics.

Gotta love the coho's. Nice work 2tp. We got our first laketrout yesterday...the smoker is happy to be back in business! Also caught 2 coho's. Fished from 6-8 pm.

Thanks for your advice guys!! I am heading up to Duluth tonight. I am planning on launching at the superior wi launch at about 6am and working the MN side. Quick question, do you guys use flashers in front of the your plugs? Is there a better/hotter fishing launch I should be using?

Hey, Butch where have you been hiding????? Give me a shout some time when you want to get out.

You will find that there is a mud line on the Minnesota side that extends out in the lake that you could work for Coho's or head to the green water and try for Lakers. I like using the Loonsfoot access but I am also fishing the Wisconsin side so it makes it much faster to get to the waters that I want to fish. In your case you will want to veer left when you get outside of the entry to get into Minnesota waters and watch your graph for smelt. If you start to see nice groups it might just be a good spot to start. Last 2 times I was out my smelt pattern got all the hits.

Hey, Butch where have you been hiding????? Give me a shout some time when you want to get out.

This weekend!

Loons foot landing is my favorite spot to launch. Close to the big lake and a well taken care of facility with restrooms, fish cleaning station and parking. It does cost 5$ to launch though, or else you can buy a season pass for 20$ ( I think that's what i paid). On a weekend you can expect lots of boats coming in and out.

Got out on the lake this morning ,,,went 9 for 12 with 3 kings 2 coho & 4 lakers ,,,I can only imagine how big the waves got this afternnon as we got off as it was building ,,,good luck to those who go out fishing tomorrow

LAS

Sounds like you had a good day Randy!! I'll be on park point on Monday but that's about as close as I'll be getting to the water. We are having a Smelt fry with some friends.

Well we gave it a shot on Saturday. We launched out of loon's foot and fished from 6-11 am. We worked the mudline directly out from the brake wall entrance on the MN side. We picked up 1 8lb king in 60 FOW about 40 feet down on a dispy with a chartreuse crank bait. no luck with the coho's though. We came in at 11 to see how other people were doing and see what we were doing wrong, but the people we talked to were also having trouble finding the cohos. We were constantly marking fish. We went to grab lunch and when we returned to the landing everyone was coming in. within that hour, the seas went from less than 1 foot to 2-4 foot with stronger wind coming. This was a surprise to me. When I checked NOAA Friday, it called for less then 1 foot for the whole weekend. I am still glad we drove up and gave it a shot. We learned a lot and I will defiantly go back! couple of questions though. We saw a bunch of boats on the Wisconsin side and only a few on the MN side. Is this because we launched in Superior Wi, or is their a reason people were fishing over there?

Thanks again for everyone help, it was a great time!

Mike

We went to grab lunch and when we returned to the landing everyone was coming in. within that hour, the seas went from less than 1 foot to 2-4 foot with stronger wind coming. This was a surprise to me. When I checked NOAA Friday, it called for less then 1 foot for the whole weekend. Thanks again for everyone help, it was a great time!

Mike

The lake likes to play nasty little tricks like that grin

I always check the marine forecast in the morning but the lake can still turn on you and it can happen pretty quick. I was out about 5 miles on Thursday and it was suppose to be 2' or less all day and the wind started picking up out of the north and before i could get started back to shore the waves were well over 2' and almost 4 before I got back to the entry. Thank goodness I threw in the rain suit but sure wished I would have worn my boots instead of tennis shoes grin

I was out on Saturday by myself and went 2 for 3 and got off the water when the wind started to pick up. The forecast did say that it would pick up in the afternoon so it was not total unexpected.

I am not sure if the fishing is better on the Wisconsin side or if there is just more Coho's but it dose seem like there are always more boats. It could be that there is a bigger flat area from shore that makes it easier to catch the fish in the 30' to 60' range.

Loons foot landing is my favorite spot to launch. Close to the big lake and a well taken care of facility with restrooms, fish cleaning station and parking. It does cost 5$ to launch though, or else you can buy a season pass for 20$ ( I think that's what i paid). On a weekend you can expect lots of boats coming in and out.

I looked on my reciept for mine and they are $25 for Superior resident and $30 for non residents. Seniors are $5 off I believe.

The big lake is to be respected. Especially now that more small boats are getting brave and sticking their heads out there. Keep a eye on the sky and if you feel a wind switch and it gets cool its time to head out now. Not in 1/2 hour its time now. Better safe than sorry. It can change very quick and if your out 5-12 miles it can be a lot of pucker factor on the way back.

I also like Loonsfoot but Barkers is also a nice landing but takes a while to get out due to the no wake zone.

Can anyone tell me where the mudline is? Heading out tomorrow from the Sup entry and would like to find some lighter water. Is there still a line that runs up the N shore?

Loonasea and I met up with walleyehunter80 (Josh) for a day of fishing on Superior. Our plan was to meet at the marina in Cornucopia at around 4:00 and get in a good morning fish. We ended up going 11 for 15 with 1 King and 8 Coho's along with 2 Brown trout. When we got the King it was the fish that made it a true triple in the boat along with the 2 Coho's that Loonasea and I were all ready fighting. What a madhouse in the boat but what a blast. We also has a couple of double's for a very memorable day. We were taking a look at all the cool rock formations and spotted a deer that must have ran off the edge and swam back to shore but needs to move down the shore a bit in order to get back in the woods but it still has not got that part figured out yet.

Josh with his King and his first Brown trout

_B7D4151.jpg

_B7D4154.jpg

_B7D4164.jpg

_B7D4170.jpg

You could have at least thrown her a flotation device. ;-) Also nice trip!

Great photos as usual Jim. One of these fine days you'll have to step back into the world of the working class. It looks like you're having more fun then any one person should be allowed.

Quote:
you'll have to step back into the world of the working class.
Ha! Love it! Well said! laughlaugh

I cant complain about Jims work situation ,,,,since I can usualy talk him into going fishing on my days off,,thats if he doesnt already have plans to fish

It sure was anothert fine day to be on the big lake

LAS

Great guys, good times, perfect weather, HOT fishing! Thanks guys it was a blast. By the way, my boat is still full of blood and scales even after spraying and scrubing. Even with all the fishy smell in there I can still smell Randys all natural air freshner, I think its stuck in my canvas? Ha Ha Ha

Thanks again guys it was perfect!

Josh

Great photos as usual Jim. One of these fine days you'll have to step back into the world of the working class. It looks like you're having more fun then any one person should be allowed.

Most of the cohos were picked up pulling out of the mud,,,,, doing S turns in and out of the mud was working at times

Hey Josh ,,,,I was just trying to be creative and find a way to keep those other boats from crowding us

LAS