• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

It seems that the mast base would crowded out the bow mounted electric

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

I have a dumb question for the experts of the big pond. I am going to be vacationing up the north shore later this summer, and was wondering if it is a complete waste of time to fish the Lake from shore?

I have fished several of the rivers a few years back and have an ok handle on what to expect there, but the family will probaly spend a lot of time walking on the rocks and beaches on the shore of Superior and i hate being near a lake without having a line in the water. So, from shore, not near a river, is there ANY chance on hooking into a few fish casting spoons or cranks?

Absolutely no problem with that. At least not the way I have mine mounted.

One thing I can tell you for sure is, "you have zero chance of catching anything if you don't have a line in the water!!!" Sure it seems like a needle in a haystack type of deal. But yes, fish can be caught. Me and my dad have caught our fair share of lakers, coho's, and kings right from the shoreline wink He prefers castmasters, I prefer krocodile spoons. Don't rule out #4 bluefox spinners either.

Do you have a pic? I have a mast in my garage just waiting to be mounted but no matter were I think I can place it it seems to want to push on the trolling motor when the trolling motor is up

When you say plugs, are you referring to J-Plugs? I have used them in Mighigan but have not had much luck in the Duluth area...maybe because I have not used them much...

Originally Posted By: Northlander

Do you have a pic? I have a mast in my garage just waiting to be mounted but no matter were I think I can place it it seems to want to push on the trolling motor when the trolling motor is up

Then you may have to change some things around. My trolling motor is mounted so when up the hole shaft and head run just along the side gunnel. The Big Jon mounting plate is square center and back as far as it will go towards the front seat. I also have my X-15 mounted up there.

Ill try to get a pic done in the next day or 2.

So, from shore, not near a river, is there ANY chance on hooking into a few fish casting spoons or cranks?

Not a waste of time....The later in the summer the better... the lakers will start to come up on the shallow reefs... Ive caught my fair shair of trout and salmon from the shore casting....also... if you want you can just toss out a smelt...did I say that... minnow...with a slip sinker...maybe a floater in the smelt and let it sit on the bottom...

That's great to hear...I'll be up there in mid August and will definitely have my gear with me now. Forgive my ignorance here, but can you explain the minnow fishing technique? Are you talking about using a standard bobber and minnow set up? what kind of minnows would work best? thanks

Dylan I believe the rig he is describing is a slip sinker above a barrel swivel, then tie a leader onto the swivel and a floating jig with a minnow/smelt on it. This will keep it just off of the bottom depending on how long of a leader you use.

Good afternoon gentlemen. I am from the twin cities and last year I learned how much I like big water fishing. I did a couple of trips to Lake Michigan and caught some really nice salmon. I would like to do more of that, but it is just to far to do on a normal weekend. I would really like to learn Superior and possibly get up there in the next couple of week in search of Cohos. Could anyone give me some pointer on how/where to fish for them? I have most of the tackle and a boat that can handle it when she is not too rough, but I really don't have a starting point. Thanks for any advice anyone is willing to offer.

Dylan I believe the rig he is describing is a slip sinker above a barrel swivel, then tie a leader onto the swivel and a floating jig with a minnow/smelt on it. This will keep it just off of the bottom depending on how long of a leader you use.

I will be giving that a try...thanks

Read the Lake Superior reports. Cohos and walleyes are being caught out the Superior entry right now.

You can use 2 lines, so you can plop out a bait and let it sit while casting a spoon...however it could turn into a tangled mess if you hook into a nice fish eek

you can use two lines if you are more than 100' from an incoming river or tributary. sounds like good advice here, if conditions permit; use a bobber rod and cast the other.

many fish get caught casting from shore all summer.

"To date Jim has taken the photo of my largest Lake Trout and now my largest Walleye".

I'd stick with the formula that work's! Hey Jim, I'll pitch in for gas any time bud grin Nice work fella's. Tom, congrat's on the eye. She's an absolute beaut!! BC

Mark you are more then welcome to hop in the boat and show this rookie Lake Superior fisherman a few of your tricks. I am having a good time learning the lake but it never hurts to have the learning curve sped up a little bit grin

I should add that I was out Thursday and even though the weather was nice I found the fishing to be pretty slow. I found smelt but they were close to the bottom. The couple of hits and the 2 fish I caught were on firetiger but I never had a hit on my smelt pattern or the 57 chev. Water temp was right around 45 degrees and there was no mud line and most of the water was murky from shore out to 50 feet.

Ya Jim the best bait I had in that murky water was a hot steel husky jerk. The chromes didnt work as good as they had been.

Ill be out in the morning tomorrow and hopefully I can get some eater sized eyes out there.

we fished thursday am and found 8 coho's. water temp 42...

Yeah but did you catch them? grin

5-9-2010

Fished the Superior entry on my cousins boat "GO DEEP" and went 6 for 10. Mixed bag of kings and coho. Kings came off the riggers in 60 f.o.w. about half down on spoons and most coho came off the surface. Most fish came out of the clear water with speeds of about 2.8. It is nice to start getting some fish off the riggers.

Here is Cam with the 1st fish of the day

4593534922_fdc9209870_o.jpg

What a sweet day to be on the big pond. You could not have ordered better weather then we had all day today. Loonasea and me hit the lake right around 6:15 and trolled the day a way. We ended up with 3 Coho,1 brown and a nice Steelhead and missed a bunch of bites. There was no real pattern and the bright plugs did good on the Coho and Smelt pattern worked on the Brown and the Steeelhead.

My first Brown Trout and biggest Steelhead

DCP_0193.jpg

DCP_0195.jpg

I fished until about 11am and wound up with 3 coho. Couldnt find anything consistant either. Everything on top nothing hit more than 8' down. In and out of cleaner water and it seemd like the temp was key more than water color. When I found a patch of 44.5 degree water I got into fish.

Awesome weather today on the gitch we got 14 cohos with a few small kings mixed in lost 6 more all in cheezy waters It is definately the year of the coho!

no lakers or browns for us but we were not complaining.

Spent Mother's day at home this morning with the wife and kids, then off to church. After a quick bite to eat, I managed to take the boys with me on my kitchen pass and head down to the water for a few hours. We had a blast. Hit the water around 12:30 or so and fished until the big wind pushed out of the east around 5:00pm so went in. Carver caught a Coho and Ethan got a Laker although he wouldn't pick it up for a picture so we improvised. Great weather!

may9th1.jpg

may9th2.jpg

may9th3.jpg

may9th4.jpg

now thats one busy boat!!!! quick grab rod #74 it just fired smile

Wow, you guys are really tight lipped. I was hoping someone would throw me a couple of crumbs. Fishing must be really good up there.

Thanks for the advice Northlander.

navigate the website and find lots of posts regarding the lake superior bite. fishing lake superior can be alot easier than many think. the lake is notorious for kicking out a variety of fish depending on the conditions and time of year. you can head out on the south bay a short distance and catch lake trout, steelhead, browns, walleyes, cohos, loopers, etc... fishing the great lakes (particularly superior) can be tough at times...hehe; but just keep trying by fishing the same types of baits you use over on michigan. spoons, plugs, howie flies, flashers, etc... pick an area and start by setting out baits at different heights in the water column. example - set up in 100 feet of water with baits down 20 - 35 - 50 - 75 - 90. the key is to try and find your species of fish and duplicate the presentation until it shows you some consistency. challenge on superior is you can catch fish 20 feet down one minute and the same species might come 150 feet down a short time later. doesn't need to be overwhelming. just get out there with your equipment in good order and start working through the plugs, spoons and flies, etc... you will catch 'em with a little effort and preparation.

i like reading historic posts for the lake i am fishing if i need assistance.

good luck and let me know if you need a phone conversation to make this clearer and more precise. have fun fishing.

Reading the Lake Superior fishing reports will give you a good idea on colors,depth and temps. This is my first year on the lake and have had some excellent fishing and all we are doing is pulling shallow running plugs off of planer boards from 100' to 130' behind the release.The color of the water will change and running in and out of the different colors can be a good spot to target fish. Yesterday when we went from green to murky is when we picked up a Brown and a Steelhead. Most all the Coho's were caught in murky to chocolate water. As far as depths we worked from 16' to 50' but watched the temps and water color more then depth. That kind of stuff will change daily because of the wind and it is a matter of trial and error till you find were the fish are biting. Most of the time we are hitting the Wisconsin side but have caught Coho's on the Minnesota side. The plugs we like to use are the smelt pattern ( mostly a silver pattern)and my favorite has a orange belly. When people talk about a 57 chev this is the plug they are talking about and the other is a reverse 57. These work but there are a lot of colors that will work it just depends on the day. Soon it will be spoons and other methods and I will have to learn what works but that is all part of the fun.

57 Chev

thumb_2842_57-chevy.jpg

Reverse 57Chev

thumb_2841_reverse-57-chevy.jpg