• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

isn't what's good for one side good for the other? mn and wi that is. aint that why we can use 2 poles on the river? hmmm? perhaps i should consult the "Snake Guards"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

The weather looked so good for friday that I had to get out and enjoy it before it got windy for the weekend. Fished the south shore from Dutchmans up to the Poplar river and back. Picked up 4 Coho's with a couple of missed fish and only 1 other that hit my lure right before I pulled it out of the water when I was going to change plugs. My speeds were between 2.4 to 2.8 and the plugs of choice were a silver and a 57 chev. I seemed to have my best luck in and around the 14' to 18' range and the bite was a lot better once the wind put a ripple on the lake. The temps ranged from 46 to 49 degrees and all the fish came out of murky water.

I also went out Friday for a few hours after work, got the lines in about 4:30pm. Started by Dutchmans and ended just short of the Amnicon. Ended up with 1 coho. Was fishing between 15' and 20' with the lone coho being caught in about 20. Stayed out until sunset when the waves really picked up. Interesting ride in with a 16 footer. Tried to keep the speeds between 2.5 and 3.

We caught some nice lakers in March in 100-150 FOW up the shore...we have not seen a laker yet in the Duluth area yet.

Any idea as to why this is? Lake temps are cold and I am assuming they are a bit dormant but they cant be any warmer up the shore could they? Does anyone have an idea of the lake trout pattern?

Also, please give coordinates of where I can catch a lot of big kings...just kidding.

yeah i remember last year this time there were a few over 20 pounds that had been caught. Lakers are pretty slow so far.

Find the warmer water and fish it. Experiment with depths and keep it slow for lakers.

I think warmer water is pretty much the key to cold water fishing...

Would you guys think that there is always warmer water in the area and that the fish are there or do you think that fish will move out of the area as the wind shifts things around. I have caught tagged fish and wow, do those trout get around.

This time of year when your fishing on top the wind sure can move the warm water around. Find that warm water and it sure makes things easier this time of year.

I know in years past when it has been normal. A couple of guys would go out of knife and jig sucker minnows in a 100' of water out by the island.

Me and one of my friends went out last friday and had another great day. we got 11 cohos and 2 lakers lost many more lost count. we have been doing great on cohos this spring! it is the year of the coho! also i went out alone tuesday evening and lost 3 cohos and got a 10 lb king what a awesome fish

Due to my failure to complete the "honey do" list in a timely fashion, Mrs. Tacklejunkie has forbiddened me from even thinking about getting my boat wet so I have to experience Lake Superior fishing vicariously through you guys this spring.

Good to hear of fish being caught.

Well, with MN opener just a couple of weeks away, the "honey do' list is being completed post-haste

fishgutz. I got the king on top with a white bomber. 1/2 mile out in front of the sup entry at 8:30 pm. I just getting ready to pull the plug when he hit.

Hit the big pond this morning ,,,bounced around in the waves ,,,heard LTG on the radio ,,,and even netted some fish ,,,boy that water can sure make a guy pucker his sphinxter at times ,,,,I hope I can [PoorWordUsage] by friday

LAS

Sounds like you had a good time Randy!! I didn't have the ringer turned on my phone and missed your call. I just wanted to make sure you found the items I had left for you and it sounds like you did.

Talk to you soon!!

Ya I woke up, saw the wind and went back to bed. Maybe tomorrow afternoon for me.

Me and BD110 had a nice day on the big pond with a bonus fish to go with his limit of Coho. She was 29 1/2" with a monster girth. My best guess was that it would run around 11 pounds. She is still out there swimming today.

DCP_0189.jpg

DCP_0191.jpg

Nice fish Tom!!!!

I heard you had the "hot side" of the boat ,,,some days that just happens ,,,Im speaking from experience LOL ,,,I wish I was out there with you guys but that 4 letter word (work) gets in the way

LAS

Yes went out yesterday and today in the morning. Waves weren't too bad because of of the South and West winds, though it was blowing hard. Yesterday there was an occasional trio of 4 footers if you went out a couple of miles. Today stayed in close and wasn't much but a ripple. Ran into a few Coho's to boot.

I got out just as BD110 and Jim got there fish cleaned at Loonsfoot. I had the same type of luck. Got my limit of candy and a couple bonus eyes. Sure is early for them eyes to be out of the river and into the lake. I can already see its going to be a odd opener on the river. Might be fishing Barkers Island area. wink

Thanks again for the great day on the water. To date Jim has taken the photo of my largest Lake Trout and now my largest Walleye. I guess I'll be spending more time fishing with Jim's guide service!!! grin

I catch them darn thing with sticks all the time when I swing towards deeper water making turns with my planer boards ,,,so they will hit sticks ,,,like NL I use bombers and Brads stick baits

LAS

You catch lakers close to the surface over deeper water?

By deep I think he means 35' plus while fishing for eyes. I also catch a lot of "shore trout" while fishing for eyes. A few kings, coho and browns as well.

Now we just have to get you to change that avatar winkgrin

Great time on the water but most all the fish coming from one side of the boat really has me puzzled or is it just luck. All the fish that Tom caught were on plugs that I had on my side of the boat as well except for 1 and that one plug did not catch a fish and on my side of the boat the only fish I caught was on the odd ball plug. More thing to learn so I guess I will just have to fish more grin

Off topic,

Is it possible to mount those mast systems on the bow that has an electric trolling motor on it?

I have the same mast on my boat. Anywhere the base plate fits you probably mount it but I would find a way to re enforce the area or use a guide wire.

I put a 12x12 support made out of 1/4" aluminum plate under mine that was also through a 3/4" deck. I pull the big cannon boards and all that constant pull in rough water can take it;s toll.

Yes thats where I have mine mounted.

Fishing was tougher today. Went 2 for 5 on Coho and also had 2 more bonus eyes today. Both large females spawned out. Talked to a few guys at the landing and they also had a tough time with the candy but saw some eyes. All eyes were big females. Mighty early for them girls to be out the entry already.

Looks like it wil be a long trolling year. grin