• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

Got off the water a bit ago from mquade. Water temps dropped 15 degrees down to 40-44 deg. No fish for us or the other boat i talked to at the landing.

Launched out of McQuade yesterday. 5 hours, no fish! two pops, but nothing on and no action on the dipsey. Only heard of one boat pulling in 3 kings (from the DNR folks). Going out around 11 today. Hoping it turns back on. Water temps around 45 to 47. Marked fish in 165 fow about 70 to 100 ft down.

The fishing is still real good you just have to get over on the WI line. The water is warm over there we caught fish from the Superior Entry to 10 miles down the line. We caught a dozen kings over the weekend with some in the double digits for weight. I will try and post some pics later.

SSSHHHHH. grin

No really there are a bunch of kings and lakers from the entry down the line. Even a eye every once in a long while.

Northlander,

Are you dragging spoons only or have you put on a couple of stick baits yet? I was thinking of using planer boards soon. I see others out of Mcquade using them, has the surface bite returned with the cold surface water?

Here are some pics from the last weekend on the Baha for the 2012 season. The first two days we fished way down the line with no other boats in sight and there was a good mix of salmon and lakers out there. The last day we fished shallow in under 70 feet of water and found a good mix in there also. The big laker was released to fight another day. Fish were caught from 20 feet down to 75 feet down all the way out to 135 fow. The hot spoon color for me was blue. I couldnt find the walleye out there. Also my riggers were dead most of the weekend. The bite was mainly dipsey and board lines. The last picture shows my Baha meeeting her sister boat.

full-14148-24498-aa.jpg

full-14148-24499-b.jpg

full-14148-24500-securedownloadccc.jpg

full-14148-24501-ee.jpg

full-14148-24502-eerrrr.jpg

SSSHHHHH. grin

No really there are a bunch of kings and lakers from the entry down the line. Even a eye every once in a long while.

By the number of boats I saw Sunday morning I was pretty sure everybody knew about the kings smirk

Good job Chris !!! we may have to get together this winter and chase some lakers over here and some eyes up there wink

Launched out Rice's Point at 4pm today. Marked a ton of fish in 70 fow. Only had 1 hit in the first hour on Tammy Fay spoon, lost it. Finally got a 5lb laker on the same spoon and a nice size coho on pink and black spoon. Slow night for seeing tons on the screen from 40 to 70 ft down. Great night on the water! Water temp around 52 in most areas.

Launched out Rice's Point at 4pm today. Marked a ton of fish in 70 fow. Only had 1 hit in the first hour on Tammy Fay spoon, lost it. Finally got a 5lb laker on the same spoon and a nice size coho on pink and black spoon. Slow night for seeing tons on the screen from 40 to 70 ft down. Great night on the water! Water temp around 52 in most areas.

I have to see what a Tammy Fay spoon looks like. And I'm then going to buy a few just to say I have one. I'm picturing a spoon with eyes with black mascara running down it. I tried googling it but all it shows is Tammy Fay Bakker.

Does the laker season close this weekend?

Lakers close Oct 7th. I must say there is not an ounce of mascara on this! Just a bunch of colors, similar to the wonder bread spoon. I will post a pic of Jim's Flashback Tammy Faye when I figure out how to post pics.

Still lots of fish around town. We went 21 for 25 this morning. The action was real good early and then slowed as the day went on. 6 were kings and the rest were lake trout. We fished out to 80 feet but a little shallower was best. Most fish came of the riggers from 30 to 45 down. Also the dipsey bite was real solid with slow board line action today.

I wish I had the same results. Heard a lot of positive chatter on the radio too. We launched at 930 and stayed out in 64 to 78 fow. Marked a ton of bait balls and fish. Four lines out, 2 riggers and 2 dipseys. Total of 2 hits, one laker on Monkey puke at 45ft on rigger, the other was on the dipsey and lost. Tried many colored spoons, no luck. Still enjoyed the day and there were a ton of boats out there. Great day on the water for the end of Sep.

Saturday we hit Two Harbors and went 2 for 4 with a Lake Trout and a small King. The first hit broke my line but I believe it was a weak spot. Second miss was a nice fish that ran a bunch and fought very hard but lost him before we could get the board in the boat.

Today we went out of McQuades and went 6 for 6 with 3 Kings @ nice redfin Lakers and 1 Steelhead. We went anywhere from 45 to 120 feet of water using boards and Dipsy's. Watermelon was the favorite pattern. The dipsy's were set on 3 with anywhere from 85' out to 150'. Randy was running 5 colors of leadcore and I was using 2 to 4oz of inline weights on the boards.

• 3 weeks later...

Loonasea and I got out for one last trip of the season. Went out of McQuades and headed up by the French river. We ended up 4 for 8 and only caught Lake Trout so they were all released. The biggest went right around 12-14 pounds. It seemed like most of the fish were in 40-60 feet of water. 2 of the misses came on 5 colors of leadcore and the other bites and fish came on dipsy's ran out to 80-90 set on 3. Watermelon and Wonderbread got all of the action. Nothing but shore fishing from now on until we get some ice.

I might have picked up a fish or two if I had a hook on my lure that was on my half core run out on a planer board ,,,Im putting the boat to sleep today ,,,time to get out the long rods and do some shore fishing

LAS

Hey Randy,

I could be talked into a little shore fishing on Sunday morning for a couple of hours.

Give me a call if you think that might work for ya!!