• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

Depends on what you want to fish for? I think I'm going to try tomorrow and hit the front of the rivers. Noting going on, then I'll run to the entry if the waves aren't bad.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

Did great on the lake today. Me,my friends and there friends too. what a day!!!

LOTS OF FISH.

We went 11 for 11 today. 10 coho and 1 laker. All but one came off the stickbaits. Speed 2.8 to 3.2 bright colors and lures far from boat worked best.

Here is Al (backcast) and Chase with a couple Of the fish

4467976965_9b35e0e409.jpg

lovethegitch,

It was a very simple statement followed with a grin. grin

You're welcome to share any and all information you would like. Was I serious about forming a boat parade? That's something you can try to pull off if you would like but I would check to see if you need a permit.

If you make it out I wish you nothing but luck and hope you have a great time.

allright...lets hear it. Anybody else get beat out there this morning?? Trolled park point from one entry to the other back, and some roaming around. zilch, zero, nada. Probably 25 boats out there and we never saw a net used (and we were watching!) Somebody must have found them??

yeah i was out there and we got one coho. talked to 4 ppl who all didnt get a fish. I didnt see any nets out either.

Fished with Northlander and my wife today about 35 miles northeast of Superior on the South Shore. Went 3 for 3 with 2 browns and a coho. Still a stickbait bite on the surface with 2.8 to 3.2 being the best speed.

4472046534_783bfe215a.jpg

Nice fish guys. We did not have the same luck unfortunately. 0 for 0 smile

Satureday we fished the lester, pumphouse, line and the WI entry...yes, we ran out of gas!

Did ok the weekend before but were further north. Caught some really nice lakers.

First time ever out on the big water. Put in outta Mcquade, fished from the French aalll the way down to the Lester and back and inbetween, fished from 100 ft to 20 ft, flat line and leadcore, stick baits and spoons..nothing, nada..did hook the bottom a couple times though out in about 30/40 ft water..Trolled from 1.5 (GPS) to 2.5..Water temp 35.0 French and 35.5 Lester. Funny, fished all day, caught nothing but a GREAT time and learning experience..Think I may have found a new passion..will be back up in a couple weeks.

Pete; to put it in perspective, I've been fishing the lake for nearly 30 years and you did just as well as me yesterday:)

Sometimes it just goes that way...!

Guys:

I was shore fishing all day yesterday at the French. There weren't any boats there in the morning, but come afternoon into the evening, it was pretty much a solid train. I saw the nets come out lots of times and usually just north of the French. There were a lot of loopers rolling and we saw some cohos jumping. They were anywhere from 100-250 or so yards out from the shore. The boats that I saw having the success were hugging the shoreline and very close to the 100 yd no-treble hook mark by the mouth. I'm going to give it a try this week but I'm going to fish very shallow and right under the surface! Just my report.

Lakerunner. Thanks for the info, yeah I was one of them guys close in on the French on Sat afternoon/evening..saw a guy on the beach catch something but that was it...on another note, I did mark alot of I'm assuming fish out in the 70 - 100 ft stuff..couldn't get them to go though.

Riverratpete. What boat were you in? Was it you and maybe a teenage daughter? I was fishing with the crew right at the mouth. We pulled 3 and had 3 others on in the late afternoon--most were hooked right where you were trolling. What colors were you using?

no, 1750 gold/black crestliner, was using blues, greens, orange,gold pretty much threw everything at them.

Do you guys direct tie to braided lines or do you use a mono or fluro leader on your trolling rigs.

I put a 7 foot 17lb test mono leader off the braid when I am running spoons and sticks

time for the yearly "trebles are OK post.

We stand in the mouth throwing spoons or raps with trebles frequently, and have been for 20 years! Single hook is for IN THE RIVER....the 100 yd thing is for 1 vs 2 lines. Period:)

check the regs.......

My trolling rods have 12-14# clear trilene XT or Big Game on the. Power Pro dont work well in the boards without a expensive clip addition.

All of my rods except for my lead core are mono. I run 20-50 yards of mono tied onto my lead core.

I was out today with Lakerunner trolling the area near the French River for rainbows and cohos. The fishing was FANTASTIC! Gentle winds for the most part, with only a couple hours of chop around mid day. And warm temps, even on the water. Made it very easy to get the boards and long lines dialed in. Great company, great scenery, great day.

Oh yeah. Fishing was great. Catching was not. We had two releases all day. One was quite a heavy fish. I felt him/her for a few seconds and then it was good-bye. Fished a combo of a bazillion sticks and spoons in a bazillion shapes, colors, sizes and actions. Switched up often. We fished over 50 FOW and 6 FOW, with our inshore board sometimes missing the shore anglers' bobbers by 2 feet. At one point we were chatting it up so hard that we realized just in time we were too close to the shore guys, and a quick turn to starboard saved everyone a lot of cussing.

Even though we were marking fish all along, and knew they would turn on if and when they were ready to turn on, we raided the tackle boxes deeply and often. Even threw on cowbells and a squid for awhile. And we learned the Apex is a dang fine looking lure in the water. Bring on the Apex! It'll be on one of my rods most of the summer.

Oh, almost forgot. Speeds from 1.5 to 3.5 mph.

We didn't hit the water until 10 a.m., and fished until sundown. We had a charter captain within sight most of the day, and only saw one fish on (lost). We saw one small looper and one small coho landed by the shore brigade. The guy who caught the coho looked just like LoonASea, but I see from another post that Randoid was nowhere near the French today. gringrin

We proved at least one thing today. Karma banked with the trout/salmon gods on one body of water can't be cashed in on a different body of water. Each lake has its own gods, and they are jealous gods! Simply a wonderful day to be out on the big lake. Thanks, Pat! smilesmile

Was out yesturday. 10 cohos, 3 lakers, and 2 browns. Lost many more. What a great day on the gitch.All fish were caught on the beach.

Steve

That was me that pulled in that coho (about 5:15ish) So that was you in the starcraft trying to catch the shore fishermans lines (btw I missed 4 other fish last nite) so the fish were there

LAS

Time to clean the garage out so I can move that dang Lund around. I hope Fri/Sat are nice.

Wow thats an awesome report! I am hoping for tomorrow evening too. Looks like the wind is going to switch from the east to south around noon tomorrow. There will probably still be some big rollers coming in tomorrow from the 25 mph east wind there saying will happen today.

LoonASea, yes that was us--in the Alumacraft. It looked like you a nice battle with that coho. Sorry to any of the other FM'ers (or for that matter other fisherpersons out there) for the boards getting in really close sometimes. We knew that the fish were in there tight. We kept our eyes out but like Steve said, we did have one time that we had to make some quick adjustments.

Steve--it was great to finally meet you and I too had a great day fishing with you. I just wish that I was able to get you to boat a fish or too. But you know, maybe the story would have been different if we didn't have that Siwash hook on? smilesmilesmile

Like Steve said, we gave the lures a good washing. One release came on a green/yellow/silver backed spoon and the other was on brass/orange. We marked fished over 10 - 50 FOW with most being less than 10' down--surface fishing. It was really nice to have a boat back in the water!

One other FYI to the FM'ers. I have a 1990 23' Mako Center Console with a '98 or '99 (I have to check) 200hp Evinrude FICHT that I will be selling shortly. The FICHT had the powerhead rebuilt eventhough it was NOT one of the years/models that they had issues with and has less than 50 hrs on the rebuild--my Dad did it preventively. It has (2) 2o' outrigger, (2) 5' Rivera manual, and (2) 4' Walker manual downriggers on it. I'm only selling it because it does not get the usage that it should. I'll asking 14K for it. Once I get it cleaned up, I will post a complete listing and pictures on the "For Sale" forum.

I am going anyway I dont trust the forecast and think it will be all right when I get there. I hope I am not wasting $75 in truck gas.