• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

plenty of open water on the shore from the Lester on up. Loopers are predictably slow right now, but a few are being taken at the French.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

My son Mother(not an EX) has been a real B****h, about letting me him, so we fish when and where we can. Thought a trout/salmon trip from shore would be fun, bring a heater for warmth, and munches (hot dogs to cook in front of the heater).

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any special regulations for fishing the rivers flowing into Superior? I'm going to be in Two Harbors next weekend and I was thinking of trying the mouths for...well..whatever might be there and willing to eat a fly.

Seriously going to blow a tit if this lake doesn't freeze over!

I've heard from a guy who heard from a guy who heard it from his friends who heard it from a co- worker's friend that the lake may not freeze over this year even with the very cold winter due to it getting so warm over the summer

Don't know about Two Harbors, but there was a bunch of ice in the harbor in Duluth. Anybody think it'll lock up with this cold spell coming up?

Jack you mean on the lake outside of Duluth dont ya? There has been ice in the harbor for a long long time man. wink

• 2 weeks later...

The river is the only ice show in town these days. I seriously doubt we will get any fishable ice on Lake Superior around Duluth this year.

With that said the river fishing is slow to painfully slow these days. At least by last years fenom standards. I believe last year was a once in a lifetime bite and we got spoiled big time.

If your in Duluth and want to get out ice fishing send me a e-mail and I will do my best to get ya on fish either on the river or very close to Duluth.

Sound good, I'm hoping to get a couple trout 13 to near 16 inches for taxidermy displays.

Your best bet for that right now would be an inland lake. There's Quite a few stocked lakes North of Duluth.

Ditto...not much around Duluth where you're going to find that. Try some of the stocked trout lakes towards grand marais, Isabella, Ely, etc...

21st looks like it has at least 2-3 inches on her frm the condos. Thinking about going out maybe tomorrow. Who's with me?

Don't go out there with this west wind Scott. If she breaks off you will be in Michigan in no time! wait till the wind dies, or switches directions.

That ice aint safe and wont be there long. I suggest you stay off it. I saw some major cracks in it today from the freeway!

Yeah maybe with the wind it might not be too safe.. but I have a feeling that this chunk of ice will be here for awhile if not till spring if it held on with the wind today. part of it broke away yesterday but from almost lester to canal it is here and looked pretty darn good when I went down on the lakewalk. Couple more days maybe and its go time.

at least we'll know who it is when we drive by and think..."who's that nutcase out there??! grin

be careful (obviously)...

Can someone post a little report on the north shore ice condition? Is there alot of ice or is it open from the lester on up? Thanks

I sure hope this ice holds until monday, I'll be in Nodak for the next two days, I'm guessing that if it survives the west wind until tomorrow the north east winds coming the next couple days won't do much damage to it? I'm new up here but I would assume that a north east wind would push more ice in from the main lake

Update: At least 3 houses out from 21st about 45 minutes ago. From what I saw by Lester that ice is breaking up on the far East edge of the sheet. Quite a bit of desk sized chucks flowing up the North shore. Hope she holds up with the warmer weather and Western winds. BE CAREFUL!!

Yeah it will bring more ice from the NE but also the water and subsequent waves. A West wind would be a good thing if you want the ice to stay on the North Shore. Don't know if you guys saw the Apostle Island post but they rescued a guy on a 4x4 foot chunk of ice in up to 8ft waves a couple of weeks ago. Be careful.

check the shore fishing superior by lutsen threads. there are portables out there at the last postings. good luck.

Been up several times already this year I'd say half of my trips were sight seeing adventures as there was skim/ice chunks which made it unfishable. This time of year unless you have someone up there fishing that will call you it's a drive and see if you can fish type of deal.