• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

The Weather report did not sound to good for the fog clearing anytime soon by the lake. But hey it's the twin ports that could change three times before then!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

Steve, if you were looking for a fishing partner either Saturday or Sunday, just give me a call. I know its late, I just got off work, but if you get this give me a call I will be up at 5 in case if you do if not I understand.

My number is 952-846-9854

We didnt head out this AM either. We will do the afternoon thing now. Fog still thick down in Souptown.

Sorry Dave but it is my wife and I's last 2 days of vacation so we will be going together all weekend. Have to get her into her 1st 30" walleye of the year ya know.

Hit the Mud Hole, I mean Lake this AM. MUD as far as I could see wich wasnt too far because the fog really rolled in on us. Cool Fog double rainbow though. Tried pics but they didnt turn out worth a darn.

Fishing was terrible and all I saw were smelt. Be careful out there because there is a TON of logs/trees/deadheads all over the place from the landing at Loonsfoot out for miles on the lake.

Loonsfoot looks like half the wood in MN./ Wi. was just dumped on the landing! Hopefully the city gets out there tomorrow and cleans that mess up. Even after several guys moved HUGE logs we only got the 2 center lanes open and then you still had to wrestle logs and junk off the boat/trailer once you pulled out.

I would suggest fishing the MN. side if you have a MN. license or prepare to make a LONG run south to cleaner waters.

Northlander is 100% correct crazy

What a mess the entire way out and on the lake. The mud extended all the way out to 90' of water. David Bloom and I did manage to get 1 27" Lake Trout but that was the ONLY thing that hit. Talking about throwing the entire tackle box at them and every presentation possible within my means.

Next time grin

I agree, it was slow. There was some clean water tight to the North Shore and it was cold. Threw quite a bit a them darn fish today too. Ended around 2pm with 2 Kings and a Laker, only missed 3 others. Both Kings hit a Pro-King spoon Black/Purple with a glow spine tape down the middle off the full core on the boards.

Got blown off before I even went out the entry. I could tel it wouldnt be any fun. Still muddy but not as bad as the other day. Now they are saying more rain later this week? mad

New member here! I've been fishing the big pond and river since I moved here two years ago. Have been doing well. Last time I went on the big gitch the surface temp was 70 - 74. Now that it's dropped, will the fish relate to the warmer mud lines like in spring or does a guy have to start checking deeper water? (salmon and walleye)

northerneyes

You never know where you will find them. I 1st look for the water type I have caught them in before the mud came. I may have to run a long ways to find it. I refuse to try to find walleyes in water deeper than about 45'. Theres just too much of that water to search out. 45' and under can be searched out pretty good in a days fishing. Once you find them keep on them. In a few days they can be miles. I have a "meat run" I do and if I cant get them there in a few hours I just keep running south. As far as water temps when the water was in the 65-70 range fishing was good. When it got over 70 it was fair to good some days.

As far as mud lines I have found the eyes like the dingy stuff out there when the banks are washing out. Not super clear and not chocolate milk but in between. When you do find the fish check temp, depth and structure and then figure wich 1 of the 3 they are isolating on or any combo.

Some days its a real guessing game and others its like fishing for carp or cats. wink

Im lookin to hit the big lake in the morning ,,launching from Loons Foot ,,,I sure hope its not too busy or they got the ramps a bit cleaned up ,,,I did see on MODIS that the mud line cleared up and most of it is close to the south shore ,,,Ill see how it goes in the morning as it might be rather chilly on the water

LAS

Loonasea I may see ya out there. It will be a real early and short event for me if I do.

Well my time on the big lake wasnt productive yesterday but it sure was a great day to be on the water (if youre out for a boat ride) this weeekend looks like the winds will be a blowin so I wont be out there but good luck to those that do get out

LAS

Well I did a very short and late run this am. Didnt get on the water until about 9am and fished until about noon. 3 walleyes with biggest in the 26" range and smallest 17". All came on the same lure, 600 bengal tiger RR, and leadcore on the inside turn. Found the cleanest water I could and a lil temp break and thats the only spot I could pull fish from. Nice day to be out.

Grand Marais Report 8/22-8/27

Well the fishing was not the norm for August, strong winds stirred up the water and blew what good water we had else where. Got to Grand Marais Sunday evening around 5pm and had the boat rigged and ready by 6pm lines set by 6:45pm pulled lines at 9:15pm. Went West from the harbor down to the Cascade River and trolled West from there in 250FOW. Went 3 for 3 with 1 king 1 laker and 1 pink. The king and laker came on a rigger down 125' with a chrome dodger and watermelon S&G. The pink came on a Brads 57 chevy 100' back on a board.

Monday morning we ran East 10 miles to fish in front of the cabin and ended up 7 for 8 with 4 lakers 2 pinks and 1 king. The lakers all came off the rigger down 140 - 180 over 200 - 350 FOW with a chrome dodger and watermelon S&G. One pink came on a watermelon slider I had set on a rigger down 100' and the other pink came on a Jims Flashback tammy fay on a 6 color core. The king came on a rigger down 55' over 150 FOW with a Jims Flashback lemon aid. Lines set by 7am and pulled lines around 11:30am

Wednesday morning went out of the harbor and trolled West in 2 footers coming at us from the South and a very strong NorthWest wind coming at us of shore which made for very tough boat control. Trolled West for 1 hour turned around and trolled back for our first skunk trip of the year.

Wednesday evening went out and the lake had laid down enough to fish. Ran West again about 6 miles and set lines around 6pm fished untill 9:15pm going 1 for 1 with a nice lean laker. Fish was caught on a chrome dodger and watermelon S&G, not sure how far down or FOW.

Thursday evening ran East out to Five Mile Rock and had lines set at 5:30pm pulled lines at 8:45pm went 2 for 4 with 2 pinks. Lost a laker on a bloody nose stinger on a 6 color core and last another laker on a rigger with the chrome dodger andwatermelon S&G. The pinks came on a watermelon flashback on a slider and a pink lotsa dots flashback on a 5 color core.

Friday morning ran West of harbor and had lines set by 7:30am and pulled lines at 10:15am. Went 6 for 6 all lakers all came on a chrome dodger with white fly down 103' in 103FOW best speed was 1.4 at the ball.

Good luck to all have a fun and safe end of season fishing!

Josh

Josh that west wind blew all of your warm water away into Canada right along with ours grin

Good to hear that you did have some decent fishing and a few Kings is always a good thing.

Are you done for the season ?

Hey guys, make sure you check the boat/trailer over good for weeds after you pull her out. Sometimes its easy to forget. I heard from a buddy that a couple weeks ago, superior police and dnr had a operation going at loons foot where they would watch you from on top of the hill with binoculars and if you didn't look at your boat and take any weeds off, they would pull you over on east 2nd. Anyone that had weeds got a ticket for $185. Just a heads up, good luck fishing

After the condition the city has been letting the landing get in lately I would surely fight that. For 3 days after that Rain/wind we had the landing was a mess with no attempt by the city or DNR to clean it up. I know the DNR doesnt have the duty to clean it but they should be on the city if they see how bad the landing is. We pay good money to have that landing usable. Even with me trying to get weeds, logs etc. out of my way to land and take out the boat and try to clean my trailer before I left there was no way I could get it all it was that bad. If they did this about the time of them big winds and rain thats just uncool.

I left a message with the city about this. They need to get a front end loader or something down there after them big rains to get logs out. Its not safe and I cracked a trailer light as well. Maybe I should send the city of Superior that bill?

Im all for keeping boats/trailer clean but they have to help us out.

Hit the lake for what turned out to be a very HOT run. The fishing was luke warm but the weather itself was too much for me. I hit the water about 1pm and tried a few areas on the SS that were nothing but mud so I made the long run past the Poplar and found some cleaner water. Marked a lot of smelt and had them jumping on the surface so I ran 1 bomber up top and a Chalenger Tenessee Shad Deep diver along with a 600 RR in Red wonderbread on leadcore. The RR caught a 22"eye and a brown while reeling it in and the Chalenger got the 2nd walleye. It got so warm that I called it quits about 4:30 or so. I just cant stand heat and humidity.

I hope the rain we are supposed to get dont mess up the SS even more.

Jim yeah its looking like it, I was going to try and get up there again in september but wont now. Next time on the lake will be coho season next spring.

Josh

Jim yeah its looking like it, I was going to try and get up there again in september but wont now. Next time on the lake will be coho season next spring.

Josh

Lets just hope that next spring the Coho are as abundant as they were this year. We will have to try to get back up to Sand bay for a outing because that is such a cool spot to catch fish.

Is it me or does it seem to be more kings are showing up?

Although never outnumbering the lakers, it seems I got more king action than in other years

TJ I have been asking the same ? with no real concrete answers but I would never complain if one comes in my boat grin

Good... No Great Eats

One of my new favorite recipes is to grill the salmon fillet and then shred it up and pick out the bones and make a tuna style salad out of it. My Tummy-----> smile

I have yet to catch anything but lakers this year. then again My boat has been in the shop the last two months...

I have yet to catch anything but lakers this year. then again My boat has been in the shop the last two months...

I have either caugh them on the Line or I think they will be staging near river mouths now

according to my brother [retired duluth cop] the salmon are a little more than a half mile out from the river mouths staging for the most part. good luck. smile

Fished down by the line yesterday. Caught three nice lakers and had a nice king on that was lost at the boat. All fish were between 10 am and noon. 50 feet down over 80 FOW. Surface temps were between 50 and 54. Green and silver was the hot color for us but they hit on plugs spoons and flies. It was my third time on superior so I am pretty excited about catching the few we did. Good luck