• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

8/5 p.m. headed West out of the harbor, very bumpy! Had lines set by 7:30 and pulled lines at 9:00. Went 2/2 1 King and 1 Pink. Pink came on a 4 color with a jim's pink lotsa dots and the King came on a dipsy set on a 1 setting out 50' with a Blue/Glow flasher Blue/silver fly. Water temps were very cold 37.5 degrees.

8/6 p.m. Headed East out of the harbor, lake layed down nice. Had lines set by 6:30 and pulled lines around 9:30. Went 6/11 1 Redfin Laker and 5 Pinks. The laker hit a dipsy out 30' on a 1 setting with a white/glow/blue tape flasher with a LBB fly. The pinks were all caught on that same pink lotsa dots on a 4 color and a 6 color. Im sure the lost fish were all pinks as well. Water temps got a little better and were right around 43 degrees.

8/7p.m. Headed West out of the harbor and had lines set around 8:00 and pulled lines at 9:30 and made it back in before the fireworks started. Went 7/10 1 Redfin, 1 Steelhead and 5 Pinks. Steelhead hit a Stinger NBK on a 5 color and the laker hit the same rig! The pinks are all coming in on Jim's Flashbacks in all colors. I ran Stingers, Pro Kings, Diamond Kings and Flashbacks and the only spoons that took Pinks were the Flashbacks (needless to say I wont be using flashbacks for a while!!! Sorry Jim).

I am very sick of these pinks and wish they would swim to canada!!! Ha Ha Ha

Josh

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

Its hard to believe the difference in water temp from 39 to 43 degrees in Grand Maris to what we have around the Duluth area of around 70 degrees.

Sounds like you had some fun Josh

The wife and I got out this morning for a little while. Real warm out and did not find a lot of baitfish but did manage to catch 3 Walleyes (2 18" and 1 24")a 26" Lake Trout and a real nice Coho. All were released but the Coho. It was kinda weird catching Walleyes in 70' of water and on spoons. The spoons that caught the most fish were the 57 Chev, Tammy Fay and Teddy Bear. I was using 4oz of weight with 150' of line out on my spoons with my inline boards and that is what the Walleyes and the Lake Trout hit while the Coho hit on my #1 dipsy set on 3 with enough line out to get to around 50'. We also lost 2 other fish and one was a real nice one and those were also on the boards.

my wife loves to fish also and its a special trip when she's with me. glad you both had some great fishing time together. good luck.

I have decided not to go. West wind's 10 to 15 with 20 m.p.h. gusts. Been there, done that, not fun. Sorry guy's. I really had my heart set, but I just don't feel like getting my butt kicked out there. Good luck and be safe to those that go. BC

B C has the right idea I'm also bailing out. with a 17-1\2 ftr i'm not chancing it. maybe next time

Jar Jar

Please post that your not coming on the Lake Superior Gathering post where people will be looking for them.

I sort of forgot to give more info on what worked for us yesterday. We fished the Mn. side of the line and the spoons that worked the best were,57 chev.Tammy Fay and Teddy bear. I lost my Tammy Fay to a decent fish and I am guessing it was a King and I quickly retied it and put it down to the same depth and as soon as I set the drag it got hit and that was a 27" King. We seemed to have our best luck at around the 70' mark trolling between 2.2 to 2.4. All the fish hit on Dipsy's set on 3 and out 155'. We ended up with 3 Kings and released a small one and lost another at the back of the boat plus a 24" walleye and couple of shakers that we did not hook up with. Fun day on the lake with luck on our side as far as the weather.

Good luck this week outside the Duluth Harbor at around 80 some feet. Spoons and dipseys did the trick but some were also caught on downriggers.

No salmon, all lakers.

Same speeds as Jimalm.

Didn't make it out today as the wind seemed pretty tough and COLD!!!! What happened to summer??? confused

I just checked the wind speeds and there was a gust of 41 MPH

Really it was 35.9 Knots winkgrin

Just a little too bumpy for me grin

We went and watched the bluesfest today instead of fishing. Quite a few boats that would be fishing came in and listened to the blues with us. Great day of blues and good company.

My brother came up on Sunday and we finally got out this morning.

WOW is the water COLD !

I knew that the west wind would move some water and IT DID

Most of the temps we found were between 44.8 and about 50 degrees

We did catch 2 small Kings and 1 small Lake Trout

Did not see a lot of baitfish or fish on the graph and we had to stay on the MN. side.

Well I finally found a nice weather day to fish the pond and Jim you are right that hard offshore wind blew out all the warm water and pulled in the really cold water.

Just of the McQuade landing I had 42.2 degree water and in 85 fow in front of the entry it wa46.7. We managed to go 4/5 losing one nice king and boating four lakers from 23-26 inches.

first fish came on a smithwick rattlin rouge 30 down in 90 fow next two fish came on the michigan stinger spoon, boy girl color and then the Stinger in watermelon both 45 down in the 85-90 fow range. We pulled large spoons for two hours with out any hits and then swithched them out for smaller spoons and the action started to pick up.

trolling speeds ranged from 1.8 - 2.2

Wished I could have made it for the get together but a land survey of the family forty in crosslake put me on the end of brush cutter for two days.

My crew was my 72 year old dad and 70 year old Aunt both had never been of the lake before.

What a hoot watching them reel in the fish.

fishgutz was that you out on the lake on Tuesday asking if anybody knew the temp down at there riggers ?

Yeah, I threw out a call to see what the temp was 50 down.

Were you out on the lake?

The surface temp dropped 2 degrees in two days and I wanted to see what the deal was at 50.

I heard you call out and said to my brother that I knew a guy by that name but figured it was someone else. I guess I did not think that you would be out on a Tuesday.

That's kinda funny now that I think about it.

How has the fishing changed with the cooler water? My pattern was 80 some feet outside the Duluth Harbor with downriggers, dipseys, and spoons while the water was warmer

Wow !!! what a change in water temps ....got out this morning only to have to go thru a gauntlet at the superior entry due to the 2 inches of rain Carlton and other areas got yesterday ,,,,the MODIS satelite view will be interesting this afternoon,,, the mud line is where I picked up fish and temps in the mud varied around 55 and the clear blue water was around 48ish ,,,Im going to let things calm down a bit on the big pond before I go out there again,,,goood luck to those who get a chance to get out

LAS

PS did run into a real DH at LoonsFoot landing who thought it was ok to block 3 landing spots to get his boat ready to hit the water (I cleaned my fish and left before he launched his boat)

made it out with happy hooker charters yesterday. beautiful day on the water. we ended up with 6 lakers and one nice king. we lost a few more at the boat...of course they were the big ones wink. all fish came on spoons. some on dipseys/ledcore/and riggers. happy hookers did a great job finding the fish after all the warm water got blown away. great day on the big lake.

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone is going to hit the big lake soon. I'm up in Duluth for good and last time out was a blast!

Fishing has dedinately slowed with this cool water. Begs the question, "What happens to the fish?" Do they get a little more dormant, do they spread out or do they move along with the warmer water? My hunch is a little of all three. Anyone have any more ideas other than my hunch?

It was hot and heavy for a while there.

It is supposed to get hot,weatherwise, again so hopefully it will pick up

When I was out on the lake yesterday ,,if you were in clean clear water,, temps were 48-49ish,,,in the mud near the Amnicon it was 55ish and there were pods of bait in the mud ,,,find the little fish and the big fish wont be far away,,,I picked up a king rather quick and then the east wind reared its ugly head and i beat cheeks out of there

Good Luck to those who get out this weekend

LAS

Im hoping to hit it both Sat and Sunday mornings early before the weekend warriors get out there.

Grant

The mud line varied some was out as deep a 56ft and by the popular it was 42ft ,,,the wind started blowing it towards dutchmans so who knows where it is today ,,,with the cloud cover MODIS wont show us any thing ,,,I did see yesterday on the MODIS temp site that there was 61 degree water by Copper Harbor so its not all in Canada

LAS

alrighty thanks! hopefully this east wind will lay down a little for us this weekend. there sayin 5 to 10 overnight. 5 is doable, 10 is questionable lol.