• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

Dang good day, dang good report. Did you keep/weigh that 32-inch king? Interested to see how much it weighed. Maybe 12 lbs?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

Ya Im guessing 12-15# it was pretty deep. Im not very good guessing Kings weights.

I was headed towards the Lester and he wanted to go to Ashland. grin

Was going to head out to the big lake this evening but it was very busy out there. So I stayed in the river and poked around Allouez and the bay and picked up some walleye for a late dinner.

I must be getting rusty as it seems I have had to work hard for my fish this year, except those I catch up at LOTW. But, it was a nice evening to be out with that moon over the bay and Lake Superior.

I very seldom take pics. Especially when alone.

I hit the lake at 5:15 this morning. Nothing until 6:15 again like yesterday. Same area too. Not a drop of wind though and fishing was a bit harder. Had to get off the surface and hit the bottom for them. Only 2 eyes bit in the top area the other 3 came within 10' of bottom. Snap weights saved the day. I could see fish on the Bird but they were tucked tight. Maybe 6" or so off. I was hoping once the sun came up they would rise a bit but only saw a few fish higher and they turned out to be lakers going by my baits at those depths catching nothing but shore trout.

Im not a heat fan and the fishing got slow so I was off the water by 9am.

I think I will try again this afternoon if we get a bit of a breeze.

2 weeks ago out in front of the pumphouse we caught a 31" king that weighed 11lbs.

imagejpeg952952-1.jpg

2 weeks ago out in front of the pumphouse we caught a 31" king that weighed 11lbs.

imagejpeg952952-1.jpg

Nice job.

Spoons?

I got out at the crack of 7:30 to see if we could get my brother his first trout. I just got done putting out the first spoon and and was rigging the second rod when I looked up and the rod looked funny so I started to pull it in and we had a 17" Walleye. I was able to get the rest of the lines in and we got another hit and I told my brother to grab the rod. He got his first ever salmon and it was a nice Coho. We had steady action for the next couple of hours that included 2 small Lake Trout and a small Brown as well as a nice 25 1/2" King. We went over the spot that we caught the King a few more times but the bite just stopped. Time to drop my brother off so he could look at the Tall ships with his family. Here is a picture of the King.

_B7D5600copy.jpg

Awesome Jim very happy you got him on some fish!! There is nothing like pulling in your first BIG lake fish!!

Congrats

Josh

Thanks Josh

This morning we are going to head out again and this time his son wants to give it a try with us.

Anything to keep the kids off the video games winkgrin

Hi all,

Heading out Monday at noon and the crew jumped ship. Anyone want to go out and fish? Heading out of Barkers to chase some lakers and maybe some bonus salmon.

Let me know. Thanks!

Just a quick report. Chris and I fished out of Silver Bay on Friday morning. We each brought a friend down and had a blast. Ended with 23 fish by 1:00pm - 2 Lakers, 4 Steelhead (all released), 1 Coho, 2 Kings, and the rest were Pinks. All the fish we caught were caught between 25-60 feet down with ALMOST everything caught on spoons.

Throw them back or in the garden? They may be good before they hit the rivers I dont know.

Jim

Great job getting your brother on some fish. With action like that I'm guessing I wont be seeing you on an inland lake anytime soon. I have this week off so let me know if you're interested.

what do you do with the pinks?

EAT THEM! They are great on BBQ. Butter and cajun spice rubbed onto the meat and put them right on the grill no foil. They taste great, I cooked pinks and king at the same and nobody could pick which was better. If you didn't know you would almost think its chicken. I cant wait to catch more.

The pinks love the big black moonshine spoon at 2.8 mph about 40 feet down

Throw them back or in the garden? They may be good before they hit the rivers I dont know.

Yes you have to eat them before they goto the river.

thanks chris, i have heard noithing but bad things about the pinks, will have to try down around silver bay for some!

I did mine tonight on the grill too. A very hot grill (450-500 the whole time) and no foil; started with skin side down as Chris said. Add a little Cajun and Lawry's spice with a brush of butter. I couldn't tell the difference between them and the Coho tonight. I thought they were good.

One nice 27.5in King yesterday afternoon, and one 3.5lb laker. Not a bad day, that king tasted great, and was my first king. Both came on riggers.

We went out again on Sunday morning but had one more guest in the boat. As soon as my nephew took a look at the pic of his dad's King he asked if we were going out on Sunday and if he could come along. We went out of the Wisconsin entry out to about 50' and started trolling toward deeper water staying close to the line. We did not get a hit till we reached 80' and the first fish was a Laker that was around 22" and Matt got to catch his first trout and before I could get that line back in the water another rod took off and I told Matt to grab that one and he was able to get his first salmon. It was a nice 23" King. We caught those 2 fish 60' down over 80-85' of water. We ended up missing a few more bites and lost a nice fish well behind the boat. All the fish hit on spoons with the color of blue/ice and the orange/yellow with dots working the best.

Here is a picture of Matt with his King

_B7D5605copy.jpg

We went out again on Sunday morning but had one more guest in the boat. As soon as my nephew took a look at the pic of his dad's King he asked if we were going out on Sunday and if he could come along. We went out of the Wisconsin entry out to about 50' and started trolling toward deeper water staying close to the line. We did not get a hit till we reached 80' and the first fish was a Laker that was around 22" and Matt got to catch his first trout and before I could get that line back in the water another rod took off and I told Matt to grab that one and he was able to get his first salmon. It was a nice 23" King. We caught those 2 fish 60' down over 80-85' of water. We ended up missing a few more bites and lost a nice fish well behind the boat. All the fish hit on spoons with the color of blue/ice and the orange/yellow with dots working the best.

Here is a picture of Matt with his King

_B7D5605copy.jpg

Good job grin

Anyone else think the fish are deeper this year than normal? I heard something on the radio that the fish are deeper this year than "normal' but I'm not seeing it

Jim

Great job getting your brother on some fish. With action like that I'm guessing I wont be seeing you on an inland lake anytime soon. I have this week off so let me know if you're interested.

We had the lakers cooked on the grill with some olive oil and garlic and a few other spices, That was the first time our family had them and they were AWESOME!

I have the king salmon in the smoker right now and it should be great.

Thanks for the fishing trips Jim!

Out between Mcquade and the pump house today. Didn't mark a thing or even have a hit. Fished between 120-180ft of water. Was out between 11am and 2pm, decided to leave as the waves were pounding us as we headed back to the landing.

Loonasea and I got a chance to get out for a while. We started in about 50' and headed out towards deeper water staying close to the Wisconsin line and at around 80' we caught a nice red fin that I kept and 2 smaller Lake Trout that we released. All the fish hit on my 57 chev spoon that was setup with 4oz of weight on my inline planer board. I did see some nice Kings at the cleaning station and might have messed up by going deeper because they were caught in the 50' range were I had started fishing due to the amount of baitfish on the graph.

Oh well live and learn crazy

Fished yesterday from 5am to about 10am. Had a 50th B-day Party to get to. Happy B-Day Mary!

I wound up 12 for 15 with 6 walleyes (all too big to keep but 1), 4 lakers (2.5-6#) and 2 kings in the 4# range. Green seemed to be key for eyes and chromes caught all else. All on board lines.

Had to make a long run to find them but once there I had no other boats around me at all.