• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Fishing Reports

What did you use for lures?

There are many many secrets in this world.

-I woman never tells her age.

-What happends in Vegas stays in Vegas. (Didn't you know I changed the name of my boat to 'Vegas'). laugh

-A man who has no secrets from his wife, either has no secrets or no wife.

And charter captains (even former ones like myself) are always superstitious and don't reveal too much....I have posted here many times. If you want to know come talk to me; answering that question doesn't mean a a whole lot to most people if you know me. I know that may sound rude but the answer to that will not help you out in the least if you dont understand what the whole presentation I was running anyway and how it works as a whole. I somewhat eluded to that in my post about changing my presentation. I like helping others and will continue to do so all the time. Its one of the few reasons I continue to visit this forum. I hope many people on here have enjoyed and learned something from me, and I know I have enjoyed having them on my boat or on theirs. One of my best friends now is someone I talk fishing/boating with just about everyday that I met here on this forum. My wife calls him my other wife. (Thanks Chris!)

The real secret of success is enthusiasm.

I give the information to be helpful as a starting point for someone else or pure enjoyment of just reading. Again not trying to be rude if that's the way it comes off...that's just me.

By the way at the end of the day I got to meet with the CO at the landing for some of the usual checks and balances.

Okay I'm done ranting now! sleep

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jim Almquist

• tacklejunkie

• 2thepointsetters

Went out with my brother to show him Lake Superior with the hope of showing him some of its fish. He got to see a nice King jump twice before it shook the plug and got away. I have been trying out my new Torpedo Divers to get my lures down deeper. Yesterday it work for the 29" Laker but today we could not get a hit. Very cool day on the lake with all the fog but maybe a little to nice for the fish. We will give it a try again tomorrow.

There are many many secrets in this world.

-I woman never tells her age.

-What happends in Vegas stays in Vegas. (Didn't you know I changed the name of my boat to 'Vegas'). laugh

-A man who has no secrets from his wife, either has no secrets or no wife.

And charter captains (even former ones like myself) are always superstitious and don't reveal too much....I have posted here many times. If you want to know come talk to me; answering that question doesn't mean a a whole lot to most people if you know me. I know that may sound rude but the answer to that will not help you out in the least if you dont understand what the whole presentation I was running anyway and how it works as a whole. I somewhat eluded to that in my post about changing my presentation. I like helping others and will continue to do so all the time. Its one of the few reasons I continue to visit this forum. I hope many people on here have enjoyed and learned something from me, and I know I have enjoyed having them on my boat or on theirs. One of my best friends now is someone I talk fishing/boating with just about everyday that I met here on this forum. My wife calls him my other wife. (Thanks Chris!)

The real secret of success is enthusiasm.

I give the information to be helpful as a starting point for someone else or pure enjoyment of just reading. Again not trying to be rude if that's the way it comes off...that's just me.

By the way at the end of the day I got to meet with the CO at the landing for some of the usual checks and balances.

Okay I'm done ranting now! sleep

No problem. I won't make you divulge your secrets.

But, if you could just give me some GPS coords...... grin

I could give you those I have no problem with that since the fish have probably already moved. I was just about 2 miles off the shore just short of the Lester in 88 FOW. But you can see that in the pictures too.

Jim, thats too bad. those kings love to jump off, tricky keeping them off the surface so they cant do that.

Jim, thats too bad. those kings love to jump off, tricky keeping them off the surface so they cant do that.

My brother thought it was very cool looking and kinda made trip for him.

We went out for a quick morning run yesterday before my brother headed home and got 1 Coho right to the back of the boat before he shook loose. That was caught on a shallow running smelt that was on a cuda torpedo 60' back and 60' down in 70' of water out by the red buoy in front of the lift bridge.

Back from a wonderful weekend on La Barca. Fishing was awesome, we managed to limit on cohos and trout. Kathy on saturday jumped 3rd place at the marina contest with a 14.8 laker, but I toke 1st place when sunday I landed a 21.3 lbs monster after 25 minutes of battling.

The fight

Valstrout2.jpg

just landed (look at the size....)

Valstrout3.jpg

Valstrout1.jpg

Valstrout4.jpg

Photo0105.jpg

All were caught 2 miles out of the marina, one at 65ft the other at 85ft, different spoons but same presentation.

That was a good weekend.... grin

Nice fish Valv !

Now I wished I would have kept trolling further up the shore. I only went as far north as then Stony Point and then turned around and trolled back to McQuades.

I hit the pond yesterday and tried for some eyes but not much happening so I chased lakers for a bit. I wound up with a limit with most being about 3# and the biggest 8#. All but 1 came down 85' in 89' of water out of the lift bridge almost dead center of park point. Also landed i king about 7#.

All but 2 fish came on a orange/chart/glow tape flashback but the king and big laker came off a Valentine looking spoon up at 65' over the same 89'.

Very nice morning but once it got flat and HOT about 11:30 I left for home and the air conditioning. My arms are pretty red today. OUCH!

Hi everyone. Since moving out of the area, dont get as much opportunity to fish the big lake any more. Was up over the 4th and fished 8-noon Fri and Sat. We Managed to boat 4 lakers each morning but lost twice that many. I havent sharpened the hooks in a long time, so think I need to do that before we head to Lake Michigan. Fished both mornings between McQuade and Stony. Fish were very scattered on the graph in this area, ranging from 30 feet to 180 feet down. The same applied to the fish we caught or had on. We ran a variety of different presentations at times. All seemed to work. Caught fish on 3 color lead core, dipsys down about 40-50 ft, 1/2 core, full core, SWR down 80-100,and riggers between 80-120. Almost all presentations had multiple hits. We primarily ran mixed patterns targeting all the ranges at different times. Did note a large # of fish on bottom in closer but did not run any meat rigs, or flasher-fly combos (forgot at home). All fish were caught on spoons. Sure was great to get back out on the big lake!

Wow thats really good fishing, have not read about anyone getting coho for awhile, and you got 15 or more. by the pics you had a 3-4 person crew so thats 20 coho. I would love to get into a school of them again!!!

Jim, when is your brother coming back? Have you been out fishing with randy lately?

Josh We fish togather every chance we get ,,,In fact Im heading to the SS in a few mins to chase some fish

LAS

Loonasea I will see ya out there in a bit. Just having the late coffee.

Josh

If your coming up to the area let me know if you want to hop in the boat or need a another person in the boat.

My brother just came up for a 2 day outing because his shop had a shutdown for the week. If things work out I might get a chance this weekend to hop in my BIL boat that is kept at the Knife River marina.

Good Luck Loonasea and Northlander

I am jealous but there will be plenty of time next week.

Jim, you keep a boat at the Knife? I hear the fishing is getting pretty good in that area??? Is anyone else hearing about a good coho bite right now?? I might take you up on that boat ride one of these days, I not going to get my boat wet till early August!

Josh

What a beautiful day it was! You dont get many like that out there.

Fishing was again slow for eyes but the lakers once again provided action. Had a double, by myself, and wound up going 5 for 6 before pulling the pin. Back home by noonish to enjoy a cold one in the shade.

Same place as the other day and the spoons didnt seem to matter. Bottom was key. Nothing hit more than 12' off bottom even though I did mark some nice looking fish in the 60' area every once in a while. Just not enough to keep a rigger up there very much. Orange/chart combos and pinks seemed ok but did get one each one a purple with pink dots and a gold/silver.

Most fish hit on speed adjustments or turns.

My first trip out on Superior since the end of May when I sold my boat. I purchased another boat and spent the past month rigging her for great lakes fishing. Started fishing around noon yesterday and pulled lines around 4:00 p.m. We ended up with 5 steelhead, 2 kings and laker. (all released)Caught fish on 10,7, and 3 color lead with both spoons and flashers, one off a dipsey 45 feet down and the rest were off the riggers.

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0728-1.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

Sweet looking rig there Chris!! Congratulations on a successful maiden voyage. Nice to see even a few fish cooperated for ya.

Joel, (End of the Line), and myself hit the water yesterday am as well. We had quite the supporting cast, with his son Ethan, and my daughter Mia.

The weather was perfect, and the fish did there part to keep us all entertained. And when the bite slowed a bit, the blankets in the boat became a nice fort to keep the kids occupied and well shaded. Not exactly sure how many we missed, but we threw 10 lakers in the box for some good smoking and grilling.

We caught all of our fish close to the bottom in 87-105 FOW.

Thanks Joel for another fun lesson. Mia had fun too. She talked all evening about her new friend Ethan. I guess we'll have to get them together again.

Jim, you keep a boat at the Knife? I hear the fishing is getting pretty good in that area??? Is anyone else hearing about a good coho bite right now?? I might take you up on that boat ride one of these days, I not going to get my boat wet till early August!

Josh

Josh my little boat would not fit in at the marina grin Let me know if you are in the area and we can wet a line.

It was my brother-in-laws boat that we went out in on Saturday. We got one small Laker about 3 miles out but it was really a short trip cause we had to get back to Two Harbors for the parade.

Sweet ride Chris. She's a beauty. Tell us about her, year, length, etc. Unfortunatley I have yet to hit the big pond this year. I have half of the amount of wood harvested for this winter and am working on that. August is looking good I think. Hopefully I can get out there soon. BC

Sweet ride Chris. She's a beauty. Tell us about her, year, length, etc. Unfortunatley I have yet to hit the big pond this year. I have half of the amount of wood harvested for this winter and am working on that. August is looking good I think. Hopefully I can get out there soon. BC

"Impulse" is a 2001 Baha Cruisers 272 Fisherman. 27 feet long with a 8'10" beam. Powered by a single inboard mercuiser 350 cubic inch mag horizon motor with 300 h.p. at the prop shaft. (the gas tanks hold almost 1000 pounds of fuel) The boat has been sitting since 2004 when the origianl owner passed away. There are 236 hours on the motor. I am very happy with her so far.

2thepoint--you will be VERY happy with that boat. I love in-boards--low maintainence! How does it trailer?

Tried to get out this am before the winds but there was no way we were going to fish in that big NE wind. If its not bad tomorrow early AM Im going to take my brother out and get him his 1st Lake Superior trout and salmon.

2thepoint--you will be VERY happy with that boat. I love in-boards--low maintainence! How does it trailer?

She is not very trailer friendly. The boat is 4 inches over the legal width and sits 13.5 feet tall on the trailer, making for a lot of wind resistance. My suburban was hooked up to it on the street just to hold it in place. (it bottoms the suspension out in the rear) I used my brother in-laws F-350 dually to pull it down to the slip.

Nice ride! I hope you enjoy many years of trolling pleasure aboard that fine craft. Someone told me the max width for trailering a boat without a permit got changed to 10'. Has anyone heard of this?

I read the MN DOT website tonight I dont see anywhere on their site talking about more than 102" wide yet? There are a few exceptions such as a sewage truck, farm machinery and recreational vehicles, but boat is not one of them. Here's what I copied and pasted from the site:

Subd. 2.Outside width.(a) The total outside width of a vehicle exclusive of rearview mirrors or load securement devices which are not an integral part of the vehicle and not exceeding three inches on each side, or the load may not exceed 102 inches except that the outside width of a vehicle owned by a political subdivision and used exclusively for the purpose of handling sewage sludge from sewage treatment facilities to farm fields or disposal sites, may not exceed 12 feet, and except as otherwise provided in this section.

(B) A vehicle exceeding 102 inches in total outside width, owned by a political subdivision and used for the purpose of transporting or applying sewage sludge to farm fields or disposal sites may not transport sludge for distances greater than 15 miles, nor may it be used for transportation of sewage sludge or return travel between the hours of sunset and sunrise, or at any other time when visibility is impaired by weather, smoke, fog, or other conditions rendering persons and vehicles not clearly discernible on the highway at a distance of 500 feet.

© The total outside width of a low bed trailer or equipment dolly, and the load, used exclusively for transporting farm machinery and construction equipment may not exceed nine feet in width except that a low bed trailer or equipment dolly with a total outside width, including the load, in excess of 102 inches may not be operated on any interstate highway without first having obtained a permit for the operation under section 169.86. The vehicle must display 12-inch square red flags as markers at the front and rear of the left side of the vehicle.

If you can show me otherwise please do. This would make a huge difference. Maybe Chris you can help me out too, I know you just got a permit for the towing your boat.

If you can show me otherwise please do. This would make a huge difference. Maybe Chris you can help me out too, I know you just got a permit for the towing your boat.

I had to get a permit for mine and the beam is 106". Unless the the law changed in the last 2 weeks you need permit for anything over 102". I talked to the MN DOT office in Minneapolis before I got the permit.