• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Olympic Hockey

OnAFly

OH! Canada???

USA may not have to worry about playing CAN again as they will have to get by Russia first.

Martin Brodeu will not play agst the Germans, Luongo will get the start,,, Martin was horrible in stick handling agst the USa and is getting old.

Heres' to Miller Time...

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bear55

• scsavre

• OnAFly

• harvey lee

VERY entertaining game last night. The effort on that empty netter was unbelievable.

Also I can't remember a team that put such sustained pressure in 5 on 5 hockey as Canada did at the end of the game. Our guys were so tired in our own zone that they were moving at my speed, which is barely moving. Big props to Miller for maintaining the lead when the pressure was on.

Miller was awesome and needed to be. Canada put on some extreme pressure in the last minutes of the game. I thought they would score for sure in the last 2 and a half minutes of the game.

VERY entertaining game last night. The effort on that empty netter was unbelievable.

That was a great goal, I remember thinking to myself dive and go for the puck. A split second later the puck was in the net and I was jumping around and screaming like a little kid. Great effort by Kesler, it was sure nice to have that two goal cushion in the final minute.

This sets up a very interesting bracket. I like our chances, however a potential rematch with the Switzerland kind of scares me. A Canada/Russia quarter final game should be interesting.

Swiss/Belarus winner vs USA

Czech/Latvia winner vs Finland

Slovakia/Norway winner vs Sweden

Canada/Germany winner vs Russia

That was a very fun game! We played pretty good, not as good as the Canadians. But we were good when we needed to be. And our goalie was awesome while theirs played pretty lousy. I wonder if our plan was to clog up the front and shoot from the point. It worked. They Canadians doubled up on our shots and definitely had more chances.

I cant say that i have ever seen a team dominate the last few minutes like the Canadians did. That was unreal. I dont think we touched the puck from 4 minutes left to 1:30. I have no doubt in my mind that they had about 80% chance of scoreing and winning until we got that awesome open netter.

Is is weird that i was still nervous until i go to the 15 second mark?

Go USA

This sets up a very interesting bracket. I like our chances, however a potential rematch with the Switzerland kind of scares me. A Canada/Russia quarter final game should be interesting.

Swiss/Belarus winner vs USA

Czech/Latvia winner vs Finland

Slovakia/Norway winner vs Sweden

Canada/Germany winner vs Russia

How sweet is that for us that we don't have to play Canada or Russia until possibly the Gold medal game? And the fact that only one of them will make it to the medal round (huge if we play in bronze medal game)? Very important game last night.

Assuming we win our game vs Switzerland/Belarus, then we play the Czechs or the Finns. I would rather play the Czechs, but both teams are fairly loaded with talent. It's going to be fun to watch!

USA #1 seed, i dont think anyone would have predicted that. I cant wait for Russia vs Canada, assuming it happens.

How sweet is that for us that we don't have to play Canada or Russia until possibly the Gold medal game?

Ya it doesn't get much sweeter than that, we really have to thank the Swiss for that, if they didn't take Canada to a shootout the brackets would be entirely different, but lets only thank them if we can beat them in the quarters.

If we can make the gold medal game I would prefer to play anyone but Canada! Like I said before, I don't think we can beat them twice, they are just far too skilled and probably a little pi$$ed off right now.

We'll see if Canada is the same team with elimination on the line.

A game against the Swiss could be scary. Hiller is a good goalie, and if he gets hot, a fluke goal could easily win the game. I guess we'll see what happens. Now is when Olympic hokey really gets interesting!

Here's the medal round bracket and TV times. We are now down to the final 8! I threw this together quickly so please post any corrections on mistakes I may have made.

If we can get by the Swiss today and their hot goalie we will have a couple of chances to win a medal and if all the stars align the GOLD!

I'm looking forward to the Canada vs Russia tilt at 6pm which should be a one ell of a game!

USA! USA! USA! USA!

QUARTER-FINALS SCHEDULE:

Wednesday, February 24

Ch. 11 NBC

# 2 pm QUARTERFINAL 1: USA vs. Switzerland...

Next 3 games will be airing on CNBC.

# 6 pm QUARTERFINAL 3: Russia vs. Canada....

# 9 pm QUARTERFINAL 2: Sweden vs. Slovakia

# 11:30 pm QUARTERFINAL 4: Finland vs. Czech Republic.......

February 26, 2010

Ch. 11 NBC

2:00pm CT - Ice Hockey - Men's Play-offs Semifinals - Game 27

Ch. CNBC

8:00pm CT - Ice Hockey - Men's Play-offs Semifinals - Game 28

February 27, 2010

Ch. 356 MSNBC

9:00pm CT - Ice Hockey - Men's Bronze Medal Game - Game 29

February 28, 2010

Ch. 11 NBC

2:00pm CT - Ice Hockey - Men's Gold Medal Game - Game 30

***** Don't forget the USA women are playing Thursday against Canada for the Gold medal!

Women's Ice Hockey

February 25, 2010

Ch. MSNBC

1:00pm CT - Sweden vs Finland - Women's Bronze Medal Game

5:00pm CT - USA vs Canada - Women's Gold Medal Game

I really dont think Brodeur played all that bad in the game against the US.. Yes, the US scored 5 goals but they were definitely getting some bounces to go their way... also, one of the goals was an open netter...

USAs first goal was tipped off of Crosby's stick, can't really blame the goalie on those deflections, especially when its off of their own players stick.

USAs second goal was one that Brodeur should have got.. It was a shot on the ice from the point thru traffic that just slid under his pad and found the bottom corner of the net. People say he made a bad play by swatting the puck with his stick in an attempted clear. It was actually pretty amazing that he was able to swat it and a good amount of juice on the puck going out of the zone. It ended up getting blocked and kept in the zone and then the shot from the point with bodies infront ended up going in. It was an aggressive play, but thats the way Broduer plays, and everybody in the arena knew about his tendency to play the puck. I'm not condoning it, but aggressiveness doesn't always pay off

USAs third goal was kind of a scramble infront after Brodeur already made two saves.. He made a good attempt at a diving poke check to clear the loose puck infront of the net and just missed it or a stick got on it or something. It was an aggressive play on his part but thats the way he plays, and from a goaltenders perspective, it was a very good attempt at the poke check, it was just a scramle/mess infront.

USAs fourth goal was a one timer on the powerplay. You could say he should have stopped it, but you can't always directly blame a powerplay goal on the goalie

And the fifth goal was an open netter...

I'm a huge fan of the USA, not a Canada supporter by any means, but I can't stand seeing a goalie of Brodeur's stature get ripped for playing "so badly"... On the other end of the rink, Miller played out of his mind and it obviously made Brodeur's play seem subpar. I am a 22 year old goalie and I still play hockey here at college, and Ive been a goalie for 11 years... I think the average joe shmoe who watches the game, or even some hockey fans who don't know anything about goaltending, don't really know how to evaluate a goalie's play as well as they can evaluate a skaters play. Brodeur made several good saves throughout the game that kept Canada in the game. Yes, he should have definitely stopped the second goal, the first goal was tipped by Crosby, the third goal was a scramble in front after he already made two saves, the fourth goal was a one timer on the powerplay and you could argue he should have stopped it. I think the bar was set very high for Canada to perform in this Olympics, and losing to the US ticked a lot of Canucks off, and they needed someone/something to blame for the loss, so naturally, blame the goalie. Pretty typical if you ask me.

Luongo is playing in his home rink and is a better fit for Canada right now then the wondering, often thinking he's defensemen Brodeur.

No surprise Luongo will get the nod from here on out. Brodeur is certainly one of the All Time greats but many believe has seen his better days and maybe shouldn't have been picked for the back-up role.

USA!

jwmiller - I agree, Broduer really got the scapegoat treatment after that loss. No one on that team played really well the whole game and Miller was just plain hot.

Harvey - I can understand getting Luongo in net after that loss. It's a psychological thing. It's like when a team changes goalies after 4 goals where the goalie gets hung out to dry. It's not his fault, but the team needs some type of change. They both top notch goalies. You can't go wrong, really.

Did anybody watch the Canadas game last night and see the goal one of the defencemen shot THROUGH the net. I have never seen anybody shoot though the net before.

Yeah, Weber has a cannon. Watching the replay, it barely missed a guy who went down to block the shot. I'm sure he's happy it missed him after seeing how hard the shot was.

Canada finally decided to play a hockey game last night. I'm hoping for a USA-Canada Gold Medal game. That rematch would be awesome.

I do believe we will meet canada in the finals if all goes correct. One never knows.

I personally would rather beat The Soviet Union.

Yeah, Weber has a cannon. Watching the replay, it barely missed a guy who went down to block the shot. I'm sure he's happy it missed him after seeing how hard the shot was.

Canada finally decided to play a hockey game last night. I'm hoping for a USA-Canada Gold Medal game. That rematch would be awesome.

Be careful what you wish for. I would rather play Russia or Sweden myself. Then again we might not even make the gold medal game, lots or work left to get there.

I would agree that Brodeur played fine, but when Canada loses to the US they have to blame someone. In my eyes the US won because we out worked Canada, got some puck luck, and had a very good goalie in nets.

As far as this Broduer talk goes. Did he play great? NO. He played pretty good. Doesnt really matter when you let in 5 out of 25. The thing with Broduer is, he is the only goalie in the league that plays the puck like he does. Team Canada defense need to know this.... when Marty gets the puck or goes for it. Get open. Do not skate towards him. When they skated towards him. What happened? Marty had no one to pass to. And now the goalie and the 2 two defense are all bottled up, making for a pretty good scoring chance from the point.

Why do you think Paul Martin was picked for the team. He knows how to play in front of Broduer. Watch a devils game. Broduer is a 3rd dman out there.

To be honest, if the team learns how to play with Broduer better, I say put him back in. He has cups, and is awesome in the clutch.

Neither of their goalies were playing all that good going into the tourny.

Go USA, a couple of awesome goalies going head to head today. And USA, please dont look past your competition today. That is what is good about being an underdog. You usually play one game at a time.

Quote:
USAs second goal was one that Brodeur should have got.. It was a shot on the ice from the point thru traffic that just slid under his pad and found the bottom corner of the net

You have to give Rafalski credit for that on ice "pass shot" that got under Brodeur...only if he was a Butterfly style goaltender, that one would've been stopped IMO

It's going to be tough to get any work done, come 2pm. I completely agree about not looking past them. Solid goaltender that could get hot.

As far as this Broduer talk goes. Did he play great? NO. He played pretty good. Doesnt really matter when you let in 5 out of 25.

Why do you think Paul Martin was picked for the team. He knows how to play in front of Broduer. Watch a devils game. Broduer is a 3rd dman out there.

To be honest, if the team learns how to play with Broduer better, I say put him back in. He has cups, and is awesome in the clutch.

Go USA, a couple of awesome goalies going head to head today. And USA, please dont look past your competition today. That is what is good about being an underdog. You usually play one game at a time.

Brodeur only got scored on 4 times... You don't count empty netters against a goalie or his GAA.

Also, i don't think Paul Martin would have been picked for the team SOLELY because he "knows how to play" with Brodeur, but I do agree with what your saying how the defensemen have to know how to play with their goalie. Paul Martin is an American and I don't really know what your saying by your comment about him, but I don't think a player is ever selected for a team because he played with the goalie in the reg season. Regardless, Marty is Canadian and Martin is American so they wouldn't ever be on the same team.

Brodeur has been playing professionally for 19 years, and I'd say that almost anyone who has played in the league in the past 2 decades (whether it be with or against Marty) knows how aggressive Marty is with playing the puck in his own zone.

As far as this Broduer talk goes. Did he play great? NO. He played pretty good. Doesnt really matter when you let in 5 out of 25. The thing with Broduer is, he is the only goalie in the league that plays the puck like he does. Team Canada defense need to know this.... when Marty gets the puck or goes for it. Get open. Do not skate towards him. When they skated towards him. What happened? Marty had no one to pass to. And now the goalie and the 2 two defense are all bottled up, making for a pretty good scoring chance from the point.

I'm a little confused over the Paul Martin comment, what difference would it make that he know how to play in front of Brodeur, Paul would have been on the US team.

I'm in a terrible position here. I have a meeting scheduled for 2:00-4:00. I can't even keep track of the game while I pretend I'm working. Lousy work is getting in the way of my hockey again!

GO USA!!!

Quote:
USAs second goal was one that Brodeur should have got.. It was a shot on the ice from the point thru traffic that just slid under his pad and found the bottom corner of the net

You have to give Rafalski credit for that on ice "pass shot" that got under Brodeur...only if he was a Butterfly style goaltender, that one would've been stopped IMO

The USA would have shot different on a butterfly goalie, so it doesn't really matter.

Anyone find a stream that works? End of first 0-0, sounds like Hiller is making some crazy saves. We need to put one in soon or this game could get far too interesting.