• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Vexilars for next season?

ozzie

Question

I have heard from a couple different sources now that Vexilar has stopped production on the FL 8-12-18- and 20's and are coming out with a new flasher for next season. Everyone I have asked could not tell me what Vexilar planned on doing for the new flasher. Does anyone on this site have any idea as to what kind of upgrades or changes they plan to have for the new Vexilars? I just went and purchased a hard to find new FL-20 as I love these units and didn't want to have to deal with a "newer model" as they might have to work out the bugs.....Thanks

• Answers 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• jwmiller33

• Ed Carlson

• deadeye

• hamms-scooter

they better be coming out with a backlit screen (i.e. hummingbird) more interfearance rejection....lager screen, and a digital depth read-out.

otherwise my FL-12 will be sold for a new BIRD

it would be cool if the new ones ran on a different frequency then the old ones.. kind of like the new birds.. .results in a lot less interference with the older vexilars and marcums

I hope that means the old ones go way down in price!

not sure there are many on store shelves.....the places I looked (Cabela's and other retail stores) were sold out and could not order any.....the place I found mine from (local bait shop) called his Vexialr rep and the rep could not get any FL-20's and his second distributor just happened to received one and I snatched it up.......

I was going to wait to see what they come up with but I already love the FL-12 and FL-20 units so since I already had a 12 I ordered a 20 just incase the upgrades they make are not to my liking......the screen on the 12-20 is plenty big enough for me to read, I don't want digital anything on a flasher, and if they run on a different frequency that might be nice but I can knock out interference currently as long as it is not a Marcm. The only thing other than no interference would be a movable zoom rather than the bottom 6-12 ft but when the fish are suspended I am not sure that I would really need or use it anyway. Excited to see what they come out with anyway's!!!

Marcums and Vexs can run just fine side by side, no matter the model as long as 1 has an IR option.

Hopefully they do come out with one that runs on a seperate frequency range though, I feel real bad jamming up people's vex's all the time /sarcasm wink

Marcums and Vexs can run just fine side by side, no matter the model as long as 1 has an IR option.

if you are ever in a ice fishing tournament where they drill all the holes in a specified area, and you are fishing close by a bunch of people, its really hard to use a vex or marc... just my experience

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Hopefully there are no problems with the recoil.

Oh No You Didn't! laugh

I've also heard the Aliens gave them the new technology for the new Vexilar, and..swore them to secrecy tell the "Big Day" in late 2010.

I also heard from several of the very same reliable sources in black suits and Eyegog sunglass's, that there will be new Alien Tin foil Vexilar Beanies included in the package. crazy

TinFoilHat_puton.jpg

wink

Hah!

It would be interesting to see what they come up with. It would be about time for them to do something. Whatever it is I hope its sweet.

haha i love it dtro! hopefully they don't oursource the new vexilars to germany!

I recoil every time I drill ten holes, drop the ducer down there and see nothing. cry

I layout printed circuit boards for a living, and for the past 30 years I have only been working the last year and a half out of the last five years do to all the companies out-sourcing all of the circuit design to China and India!

It's funny how nowadays that everything has a circuit board in it. Are they all designed and manufactured there? Is there anything made in the USA? eek

I hope it has enough wattage to burn a hole through the ice so I don't have to listen to the more power stuff anymore. A differint frequency would be nice also.

I want a flasher that doesnt need the transducer in the hole. One that has enough power to read through any amount of ice and still see a micro jig in 50' of water. Maybe a cordless transducer that just floats at the top of the hole.

Oh and it has to fit in a 5 gallon pail. grin

I think whatever it is it wont set a hook for ya or fight a fish for ya so i'll be using my fl-8se till I am rich and can mess around with the latest and greatest all the time. You all watch it will be the same unit with a bottle opener on the side of the case as another big accessory!jk

You all watch it will be the same unit with a bottle opener on the side of the case as another big accessory!jk

LMAO. Now that's funny right there. They should put a computer fan on it as well to keep your hole from freezing.

How about a fish ID for those that can't read the dial. That way you would see a lot more fish under you. About ten colors would be nice also. wink

With the success Vex continues to have with selling their current units, I would be suprised to see them stop production on them and only product a new unit. If they are in fact coming out with a new unit, I would think it would be added to their current lineup IMO.

There is no way they will stop production of their current flashers. Not everyone wants the fancy new design all the time especially in the first yr of it being out. They will have to keep some options available for sure.

I do think you are going to see some innovation in the upcoming flashers from all the companies as they try to differentiate themselves from each other on price and features. Now that humminbird has the digital readout in the middle, it would be simple to add a gps feature and allow the unit to accept a lakemaster chip. The digital center could then be used to tell you water temp, lake map from lakemaster(screen is already bigger than most handheld gps units), and as now, the depth. It will be interesting to see where these go in the next few years.

I like your thinking about the GPS feature...especially if they don't make it too complicated for us oldtimers. As long as we're all dreaming, how about a sensor that tells you exactly the color and size of the lure the fish are hitting that day?!?

I do think you are going to see some innovation in the upcoming flashers from all the companies as they try to differentiate themselves from each other on price and features. Now that humminbird has the digital readout in the middle, it would be simple to add a gps feature and allow the unit to accept a lakemaster chip. The digital center could then be used to tell you water temp, lake map from lakemaster(screen is already bigger than most handheld gps units), and as now, the depth. It will be interesting to see where these go in the next few years.

that is actually a very good idea! i'm sure the price of it would be close to a grand, but it would be the best ice fishing tool ever! having a GPS on your screen would just be awesome

although i have never used water temps during ice fishing, i dont know how i would judge my fishing spots based on water temp in the winter. maybe having a barometric pressure gauge on the digital screen would be useful as well

Just curious what in the h double hockey sticks would you need a gps in your flasher for? are you going to keep your flasher in your lap when your going across the lake on your fourwheeler or set it on your ceneter counsel in the truck and dont even tell me that you are drilling so many holes that it would pay for it self with all the moving that you do during the day! sorry but your not that fast. reach into your pocket and use your handheld. A flasher is to big and bulky as it is dumbest thing I ever heard! now a cordless transducer that would be a innovation that could be used.

I think a water temp sensor would be relatively useless for ice fishing, unless you are able to read the temperature well under the surface, you would get a reading of about 32-34 degrees everywhere. Throw the GPS and thermometer on a transducer for the summer months, and you've got a winner.