• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Winter route to Lac La Croix

if you get them both at the same time you get a much better deal....i forget what the cost is tho.

?? The passport supersedes the passcard for the same use.

Hey Mike,

Know if anyone has cleared that winter route yet? You know the one.

Any update would be appreciated.

Thanks

It's my understanding that the passport/passcard isn't needed to cross into Canada, but to get back into the U.S. The way some of these posts are worded it appears I'd need one or the other to enter Canada. Clarification, please?

leaddog,

im not sure...havent been in yet...i can check with folks...but my guess is yes.

foss,

i thought you needed one to get into canada.

Winter trail is cleared from what I gather, depending on where you want to fish on the lake, the dawson might be better choice, its a tad longer, but usually a bit smoother. the rules and regs are unclear for US fisherman on lacroix, you can keep 2 trout on the US side, but only are allowed 1 trout per day on CAN side, since you have to cross CAN water to get back to crane lake, you are at the mercy of the OPP on wether or not you can prove you caught those 2 trout on US waters. Some say its no big deal, but getting stopped on CAN side with 2 trout and no CAN license, they might be driving your sled back to fort frances and everything in it, and leave you with a hefty fine. Been there and done that, the US and OPP work hand in had up there, so if I were to go up there again it would be 1 trout for me and a CAN license to back it up. And one must not forget RABC, too far for too little trout.

• Thumbs Up 1

(note from admin: please read forum policy before posting again, thank you)

Facts: If you want to fish Canadian LaCroix you need 1. A RABC, 2. A US Passport (because you need to check in US customs when you have returned to the US)and 3. A Canadian license. Take a map, no live bait

BK

Steve--I think Kahuna summed it up. The passport/passcard is only needed to get back to the US.

All of it might sound like a hassle but it is usually pain-free and well worth it. Especially if you might ever fish/boat any of the lakes that are on the border. The RABC will cover all of the Great Lakes region through LOW on the westside.

Thanks Pat. I don't really find it a hassle. I think it's well worth it to explore those waters. I've been wanting to do it ever since I moved up here and would have done it from the get-go but haven't had the resources, or quite a reliable enough sled/truck until now, so I'll be branching out. gringrin

Getting the passcard and RABC are just part of the buildup/anticipation. smilesmile

Good news is, I can apply for the passcard without even having to leave Ely. Now let's hope it gets here in time. grin

Steve--just FYI, at least from what I found out (and also what I would be using my passport for), it was financially better for me to get the passport over the passcard. Either way though, for what you'd be doing, a passcard is just fine.

I still need to get this years RABC.

Does anyone know of a good map of the snowmobile trail from East Bay through Lilac and Trout and into la Croix? I just picked up the Voyageur series maps for la Croix, and only the trail from East Bay into Little Vermilion is marked. The McKenzie and Fisher maps don't show any of it.

Is there any way to get an RABC on the same trip I'd make into la Croix, or do I have to make a special trip across the border to get it? Don't want to wait a month for the RABC through the mail if I don't have to.

Also, looks like there are U.S. Customs at Crane Lake I'd have to report to with my passcard after coming back from la Croix?

Don't know of any map that shows it. But there should be a good packed trail because I believe it is the better used of the two routes.

You would have to drive to Ft Francis to get the RABC any quicker than through the mail.

Does anyone know if the US Customs is open in the winter at Crane? I thought most ppl went the route of the I68 (US version of the RABC).

Steve

I thought most ppl went the route of the I68 (US version of the RABC).

Steve

See, I'm learning a bit more every day. What is the 168 and how does one get one? U.S. Customs in Ely?

Sorry I-68. It is the US side endorsement that allows you to enter the US without needing to go through customs.

Should be able to get it from Ely, otherwise I Falls has them for sure.

So I can get an I-68 instead of a passcard/passport when I sled/boat back into the U.S. from Canada, eliminating the need for me to get a passcard/passport?

You can double check in Ely but the customs office there may not be open in the winter. I don't think there is as much border crossing activity in that area this time of year and as a result the activity may not justify staffing the station.

Steve,

Just for your information. I sent in for a RABC pass the first part of Feb. and got it in the mail today. It was processed on the 11th of Feb. so it didn't take long. It cost $28.24 US. You can down load the forms and instructions and print them out.

I did a search on the I-68 and found this. This leads me to believe that it is only good for the summer, so you may want to check with customs about coming by foot or on snowmobile.

"Form: I-68, Canadian Border Boat Landing Permit Instructions: If the persons named hereon seek to enter the United States by other means or seek to enter the United States for other purposes of (if not United States citizens or lawful permanent residents of the United States), intends to remain in the U.S. in excess of 72 hours, or intends to travel beyond nearby shopping areas, nearby residential neighborhoods, or other similar areas adjacent to the immediate shore of the U.S., then they must apply for admission at a U.S. Port-of Entry."

Should have mentioned this before. Have you posted anything to the Crane-Namakan board about this? Im sure several of the usuals could give you definite answers. Sorry it has been a few years since I went up there with a RABC.

Steve--US Customs in Crane Lk is usually open in the winter as a lot of people cross and it is notorious for illegal crossings from the Indian Res into the US during the winter. They do have reduced hours but I do not know them off of the top of my head--Voyagaires would and they are right next door to Customs. I personally have never bothered with the I-68. Mail from CN to US can be unreliable so best bet is just to go to Fort Frances.

• 10 years later...

Great question. When I was a kid we'd snowmobile across BWCA, but that's no longer allowed. So I'll paste more recent info below. Also, they only wanted us to have Canadian minnows. So in summer, by boat, we'd drop our Minnesota minnows on an island, like everyone else, and stop by after registering at Customs. After all, minnows had no passports yet swim back-and-forth across the border all day long.

When we'd put skis on dad's plane I think he just registered in advance and called-in as we crossed. It was less strict back then, of course. Next time I go, I now have a U.S. passport card, but have not crossed recently. Is a Real ID U.S. driver's license okay, does anyone know? 

https://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=forum.thread&threadid=636690&confid=1&forumid=16

http://zupsresort.com/canoe-outfitting/entering-canada/

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh. Now that I'm a member I see others have posted similarly to what I said. As for the cost of a passport, last year it was $250 for my passport and $100 extra for the passcard along with it.   -Greg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Welcome to FM @Greg Rowe.

Thank you for the info. Keep us posted on the fishing please. Pics are awesome.

If you have a favorite resort...the link to it is awesome too!