• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Old boats

hamms-scooter

You have anymore pics of this boat tulibee? I love how you built it... Any of the interior? Do you even have this gem anymore?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hamms-scooter

• jwmiller33

• fishinfey8

• Far-I

fishinfey8, Did you ever end up selling your boat? What did you get to replace it? Did you buy that ring ?...

saw it was sold, how much you get for it? I 'm looking for something different and was wondering how much it went for if you don't mind? It's ok if you don't say.

fishinfey8, Did you ever end up selling your boat? What did you get to replace it? Did you buy that ring ?...

jwmiller33, What year is your motor? I am looking at getting a 1978 lund 16' with a 1978 25hp Johnson.Is that old for a boat motor? Would you guys out there shy away from it or not. It runs like a top with electric start and the 15 hp I use now is an '83.Don't see much difference....

you cant buy what you can make! smile i love the creative ness you guys have!

jwmiller33, What year is your motor? I am looking at getting a 1978 lund 16' with a 1978 25hp Johnson.Is that old for a boat motor? Would you guys out there shy away from it or not. It runs like a top with electric start and the 15 hp I use now is an '83.Don't see much difference....

my motor is a 1979 35hp johnson long shaft tiller. it is a GREAT motor!!! i cannot stress enough how good these old johnsons run. mine starts on the first pull everytime. EXTREMELY reliable and great motors. just make sure to take good care of it and do scheduled/seasonal maintenance on it. you see tons of the late 70s and early 80s models johnsons still out on the water and that is because they run great and never die!

Old Johnsons are great...but man do they create a lot of smoke!

Old Johnsons are great...but man do they create a lot of smoke!

Keeps the bugs and the riff raff away laugh

Jwmiller33, yeah my 83 15 johnson runs so well I wish I could have the same in a 25hp. Looking for someone who is looking for a wheeler so I can trade for either a 4 stroke or get an older lund with a 25 or so on it. My wheeler is a 2003 so I should get a good boat for it from the right person. Wish me luck...

• 2 weeks later...

I would bet that it wouldn't be more than 6 months of me being boatless before I would buy another fixer-uper. Except, it would be a 16ft. lund with a 35hp motor just b/c I would like to have the extra stability for my passengers sake.

Talked to a guy at the landing yesterday that was picking up a duracraft from his 88 yr old dad. Said they were a well built boat by the navy... Anyone have one of these? I saw one at my parents neighbors yard first one i've ever seen...

got the first coat of primer on my new, old boat today (1974 14' Alumacraft) i'll post some pics once i get farther along on the rehab process. this is going to be turned into a multi-purpose duck hunting/fishing boat. should be exciting

Who doesn't love looking at boats - new or old. As the boats gets older they take on their own personality. I have a 2006 1850 fisherman so it's still new not so different from any oters but I keep tweaking it. Seeing all these great ideas is neat.

The older boats are way more interesting - they seem to tell a story. I always take a strol down to the dock each year at the lodge to see whats what, my buddies don't get it but they don't own a boat.

• 2 weeks later...
got the first coat of primer on my new, old boat today (1974 14' Alumacraft) i'll post some pics once i get farther along on the rehab process. this is going to be turned into a multi-purpose duck hunting/fishing boat. should be exciting
Any pics yet?

no unfortunately i've not gotten any farther on this project yet. i've been way to busy with work right now and every chance i get to spray it again it's been raining out. (my spray booth is my back yard) hopefully soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Any new mods being done to the old boats on the water? New motors? Add ons of some kind? Paint jobs? post a pic if you have them...

hamms-scoot-

i am in the midst of a new ad on on my boat. it is pretty sneaky/crafty and should look pretty sweet when she is all done. what is it you ask? you will have to wait and see when it is all said and done.

on top of that, i might potentially end up getting a new motor on my 16 ft Lund. I have a older 79 35HP Johnson LS Tiller right now. Great motor, runs great, easy on gas, lots of get up, starts easy. It is the perfect motor for my boat, as my boat is rated for 40HP. Have always wanted to upgrade to a newer 4 stroke 40HP, just for all the benefits that those newer 4 strokes have (i.e. more gas friendly, quieter, idle down to lower speeds, electric tilt trim, etc). A guy I know up north knows a guy who has the exact motor I am looking for and is looking for an older 25-35HP Johnson (very popular motors for their reliability) for his 16ft duck boat. Anyways, we are in the midst of trying to work out a trade right now. The only problem is the guy has a close friend of his that wants the motor too. So I am crossing my fingers and hoping to get it!

Hamms- I am starting to redo the trailer for my 14 foot lund from Elliot. (fishinfey8) I don't know if you ever saw the old one in the pictures, but it was the original tilt-trailer. It still functions fine...but I just plan to do a major overhaul with it. The other night I also sanded down and touched up some wear spots for a couple hours. I will try and post some pictures of the whole thing when I am finished. Initially I had planned on swapping out the motor, but I haven't been out one time in the past couple months where it hasn't started on the 2nd pull and idled perfectly all day long. I am confident the motor won't leave me sitting, and won't probably swap it out until next summer. I plan to take the rig about 6 hours North of the Canadian border the first week in August, so I figured I would upgrade the trailer before the journey.

Hamms- I am starting to redo the trailer for my 14 foot lund from Elliot. (fishinfey8) I don't know if you ever saw the old one in the pictures, but it was the original tilt-trailer. It still functions fine...but I just plan to do a major overhaul with it. The other night I also sanded down and touched up some wear spots for a couple hours. I will try and post some pictures of the whole thing when I am finished. Initially I had planned on swapping out the motor, but I haven't been out one time in the past couple months where it hasn't started on the 2nd pull and idled perfectly all day long. I am confident the motor won't leave me sitting, and won't probably swap it out until next summer. I plan to take the rig about 6 hours North of the Canadian border the first week in August, so I figured I would upgrade the trailer before the journey.

Hory-Ive fished with elliot many times in the boat that is now yours. that motor is years and years away from needing to be replaced. sometimes it can be a little finicky to get started but after that, it is smooth sailing all day long. just keep up with regular winter and spring maintenance on it and that thing will treat you well for a long time to come. i honestly dont think you need to replace it next year like you had mentioned. thats probably a good idea with the trailer tho. if there is anything on that rig that could use a little tlc, it is the trailer. never failed us once, even with a long trip to rainy river and back twice, but it did sometimes have a weird wobble to it at high speeds being pulled behind certain vehicles. id love to see pics of it once you get done with your project. if your taking it 6 hrs north of the canadian border, its probably a good idea to make sure everything is completely functional with the trailer and the lights.

Can't wait to see pics guys! jwmiller what brand you looking at? Johnson again? Would be sweet touch to that nice rig of yours. Hory I think it would top off the whole setup having the trailer all done! PICS welcome!:>)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hamms, I posted some of my newer upgrades to my boat in the "Boats and Motors" section. I am sure you will have to dig to the second or third page by now

• 2 weeks later...

There is something special about those old boats. If anyone is interested I am selling a 79' lund with a 40hp 85 Johnson.

Has anybody ever remolded a fiberglass boat?

I have a 1989 16' Glastron runabout with a rotted floor and shredded interior. I would like to convert this from strictly a pleasure/ski boat to something I can fish and ski/wakeboard out of.

I plan to rip the seats and floor out this spring but I'm wondering what type of hurdles I will encounter.

I also plan on removing the back to back style seats and putting in pedistal seats like you would find in most fishing boats. I think this will really open things up and make it easier to fish out of.

I also plan on removing the seating/storage area up in the open bow and making a casting platform with a pedestal style seat up front. I'm hoping to somehow make it so there is enough room to mount a trolling motor way up front, but as things currently sit there isn't enough fiberglass to mount anything to. I'll need to fabricate some sort of mounting space.

I would just throw the whole boat out and buy something else but I just rebuilt the 1990 90HP Johnson two years ago and the boat itself is structurally sound.

As this boat currently sits though, the only thing holding up the floor in many spots is the carpet and the seats are totally worn out.

There is something special about those old boats. If anyone is interested I am selling a 79' lund with a 40hp 85 Johnson.

That is way too big for me.