• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Old boats

hamms-scooter

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hamms-scooter

• jwmiller33

• fishinfey8

• Far-I

ya fishinfey's boat is awesome and works great for getting to the spots that the other big boats can't. seeing that pic of it down to the bare aluminum reminds me of the 3 days we spent sanding that thing! man was that a major pain in the arse!

i have a similar older lund style boat that i did a similar modification that fishinfey did.

BEFORE

oldboat1.jpg

oldboat2.jpg

010.jpg

DURING/AFTER

DSC00261.jpg

DSC00267.jpg

SSPX0092.jpg

SSPX0101.jpg

dont really have any good pics of the finished product.. i was too busy fishing in it once it was done to take pics wink i have a 35 hp Johnson tiller (long shaft) on the 16ft lund. it gets into some pretty shallow areas as well

I have a 1968 Alumacraft FD 14' with a 65 Johhny 6 HP on the back. I built a small hinged casting deck on the front and added carpet to the seats. purchase price, rebuild on the trailer and outboard and I think I'm still under $1000. I go out 2-3 times a week in it. I love my little "Sea Monkey"

BTW, the old Johhny starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull.

here it is the day I bought it.

IMG_1404.jpg

a scrap chunk of plywood, some cheap hinges and a $9 I/O rug from menards and I had lockable storage

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

it isnt fancy, doesnt go very fast, but its mine and its paid for.

ya fishinfey's boat is awesome and works great for getting to the spots that the other big boats can't. seeing that pic of it down to the bare aluminum reminds me of the 3 days we spent sanding that thing! man was that a major pain in the arse!

i have a similar older lund style boat that i did a similar modification that fishinfey did.

BEFORE

oldboat1.jpg

oldboat2.jpg

010.jpg

DURING/AFTER

DSC00261.jpg

DSC00267.jpg

SSPX0092.jpg

SSPX0101.jpg

dont really have any good pics of the finished product.. i was too busy fishing in it once it was done to take pics wink i have a 35 hp Johnson tiller (long shaft) on the 16ft lund. it gets into some pretty shallow areas as well

If I could have one boat setup it would be this setup exactly! Nice job love the open layout with nice storage and front deck... Nice job! I go into the BWCA so a 25hp is max, but if i could have something bigger it would be a 40hp or so. I have to add some rod holders like that to mine. Nice boat Have to say my #1 so far With your buddies right behind in 2nd place

jwmiller33, how did you make the front deck so it laid nice and level/flat to the fron?Was it the 2x4 and then 3/4ply to make it good off of that front bench? Does the 35 hp scoot you along pretty good? How wide is your boat? Looks nice and wide in the pic. No Wave wackers...Jk nice boat

jwmiller33, how did you make the front deck so it laid nice and level/flat to the fron?Was it the 2x4 and then 3/4ply to make it good off of that front bench? Does the 35 hp scoot you along pretty good? How wide is your boat? Looks nice and wide in the pic. No Wave wackers...Jk nice boat

the front bench was not completely level with the back bench for the front deck.. the front bench was about 2 inches below what would be level with the back bench to the deck. so, i laid the 2x4's on top of the piece of plywood of the front bench, and that so happened to work out to be perfectly level with the back bench. so i just layed the 1/2inch carpeted plywood on top of the 2x4s... the really hard part is getting that 1/2inch piece of plywood cut out into the right shape to fit the contour of the boat.

the 35hp pushes the boat extremely well... the boat is rated for 40 hp, so i think 35 is plenty... most of the time when i am by myself, i dont even like to open it up all the way because it is a lot of power for a little boat like that with only me in the back. it goes about 26mph when i am by myself and 23 with 2 myself and a passenger and about 22mph with 3 people total in the boat.

i'm not exactly sure how wide the boat is... i could run out in the garage tomorrow and measure it if you are really interested. yes i know, no wave wackers... i thought about getting them but i dont really have the money for them right now, and throughout my entire first year with the boat (this past year), i cant recall one time when i wished i had the wave wackers... i dont do a lot of backtrolling... maybe if i had wave wackers, i'd be more inclined to use them

I am going to be on the look out for a cheap old boat, Id like to fix it up real nice and paint it to match my truck, I think that would be pretty sweet!

jignlow, that old boat could look just like the one Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis used to ride around in. Get yourself an admiral hat when you're done with the restoration - maybe a long-stemmed pipe, and you're in like flint!

if you want, i can send you some more pics of the process of building that front deck

Originally Posted By: hamms-scooter

if you want, i can send you some more pics of the process of building that front deck

Sure my email is [email protected] ... I built one in mine quick for last year and i will be redoing it perminantly this spring. Have no where to work on it now.. My starcraft doesn't have any thing way up fron to run any material to it from the next bench back. thought of just making something to set on the floor and angle up the bow and the decking could be screwed to that.I just don't want to put any screws threw the side of the boat to build a frame for the deck.

I might use the 2x4 setup you have there.I originally used galvinized steel studs form a job site.Thinking then i would be done with it, no rotting at all. When i rebuild i am making it bigger and 2x material might just be easier to work with and more quiet on the water. Is that treated lumber on your or not? Did it add alot of noticable weight to your boat? I only have a 15hp so that is another factor I'm thinking about. You used 1/2 ply , that must be plenty strong with the way you did the framing under it.

yes weight was something i kept in mind while doing the front deck... but all in all, i dont think the added weight is much at all.. like i said before, when i am by myself in my boat, i dont even like opening the throttle all the way because it gets a little scary... i DO like having that extra weight all the way in the front of the boat for that exact reason.. i also have a deep cycle battery up in that storage too.. i like having more weight in the front of the boat then the back, for when i am riding myself.

i did not use treated lumber, but i did use marine plywood. yes 1/2 inch plywood. i figured that in a couple years, i will take the whole thing apart and replace all the 2x4s... 2x4s are really cheap and easy to get.. and my whole entire deck is assembled by bolts and screws and i could take it all apart in about 15 min if i wanted to. then, just re cut new wood to match the old pieces identically and re assemble it. very easy to re do and i am actually looking forward to doing it again because i love doing projects like that

i used 1/2 inch plywood and it is plenty strong.. i used 3/4inch marine plywood on the main part of the floor of my boat and i wish i would have gone with the 1/2 inch, but then again, the weight really isnt that big of deal because the 35hp longshaft is PLENTY of power for my little boat. i dont think i would ever put the 40hp that it is rated for on the boat unless it was a newer 4 stroke

if you are worried about weight, i would definitely not use the galvanized steel that you were thinking about using, as i think that would be a lot heavier then the 2x4s... if you place the 2x4s in the right spot (structurally), you will have an extremely strong support system.. i have had 3 people on top of that deck at one time before and it has never even flexed... using horizontal and vertical 2x4s is key

Thanks jw I can't wait to start on that project now! I might just keep my eyes open for a 25 or 35hp the boat is also rated for a 40.

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj26/far-i/?action=view&current=0424091732.jpg

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj26/far-i/?action=view&current=0424091904.jpg

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj26/far-i/?action=view&current=0426091623a.jpg

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj26/far-i/?action=view&current=0423091303.jpg

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj26/far-i/?action=view&current=0423091320_01.jpg

Here is my boat. It is nothing fancy, a 1977 Alumacraft i bought a couple years ago.

The original motor that came with it was on its last legs (a poorly kept 9.8 Merc 1972) so I decided to get a new motor. I could have bought a "new" used boat and motor, but decided it would be cool to own a brand new motor and keep the boat. I've never had anything factory new before.

I actually got the idea for the deck from Shizzy, pics he posted somewhere last year.

I wish i had updated pics because the floor is finished, and i have a different rod storage system that is vertical instead of horizontal.

I really like some of your guys' designs alot, and want to do more than just have a flat-bottomed carpeted floor.

I'd like to pull out my middle bench too but i am wondering if i would lose too much stability in my little 14 ft, what do you all think?

The motor is a BEAST on this boat smile My Garmin had me clocked at 28mph last summer.The motor weighs 118 lbs i think, and i also rebuilt my transom which is not shown in the pics. Even with a stronger transom, my rivets were flexing when the boat was trailored so i had two braces welded from the transom to the main gunwales to give it extra support. (not pictured either)

Knowing all of this, do you guys reccomend i keep my middle bench for stability reasons? Thanks, and you guys realy have done some top notch work to your boats which inspires me to dink around a little! Thanks!

far-i that is a awesome motor!!! i'm super jealous! i could only imagine how fricken excited i would be to have a brand new motor and take it out of the packaging... do you mind telling how much you paid for that new motor? that increases the value of your boat sooo much! how many horsepower is that motor?>

as for your pics, here they are.. just use the image code

0424091732.jpg

0424091904.jpg

0426091623a.jpg

0423091303.jpg

0423091320_01.jpg

I'd like to pull out my middle bench too but i am wondering if i would lose too much stability in my little 14 ft, what do you all think?

if you look at fishinfey's pics from earlier in this thread, i helped him sand down his boat and helped him with the design of his front deck.. his boat is a 14ft lund and he had the same 3 benches you have, plus the small one way up in the front... he took out the middle bench in his boat and it is just fine structurally. it opens up the boat soooooo much it is really nice... plus, if your worried about the seating, you can always bring a fold up chair with if needed if your fishing with 3 guys... it is super nice to have the open floor space

I bet it is. I have a dog now too who loves the boat so it'd be nice to have her able to sprawl out a little. The Tohatsu is a 20 hp 2009 model with electric start. I got a really good deal on it, paying around $2600.00 from an online store with dependable customer service and free shipping.

I know i could have bought a nice used Lund or something with the money, but the motor is quite the luxury on my boat. And it looks so big on the back its funny! You should see me take my son tubing on it! In another year or two it'll be pretty lame, and I won't be able to dump him in the drink when he grows a little, but it was sure fun last year smile

So you think i wouldn't lose stability, I may have to try it. I really like what you did with your boat, great skill and craftsmanship!

I second the great job and craftsmanship! You would be fine removing the bench.The deck will stiffen it back up for ya anyway.Nice motor ! How do you like the tohatsu brand.I don't see many around.sure looks nice! The 4 stroke would be nice for trolling not so bad with fumes.I backtroll so the 2 stroker gets alittle bit much sometimes.There is also a little more weight there with the 4 stroke engine. oh and 28mph is screamin in a small boat I would kill for that speed!

I have posted some of these photos in the boats and motors page before but thought I would share them again. This is a 1977 14' Lund with an 1987 25 hp Johnson. For this project I did take out the center bench seat and it has held up great so far.

During the remodel job.

IMGP1103.jpg

Getting ready to drop it in some water/ice.

P4240072.jpg

I don't have a great picture of the interior but as you can see I finished it up with some carpet, fresh paint on the exterior, and some splash guards.

P5290175.jpg

My next one I would like to do is an older 16' Rebel that I would choose to put vinyl interior for easy cleaning. So if anyone out there has one of these let me know.

Nice pictures tullibee I love the new red paint. I have those seats in my fish trap guide and love them. In rainy conditions do they drain good.I was going to pick some up for the boat and just didn't want them to soak up like a spunge till i asked someone.can you post a pic of the back end w/ wave wackers? Like seeing the flasher on there as well!Thing must fly with the 25 on there.

tullibe---awesome boat! i really like how you removed the middle bench seat, and installed those two pieces of wood on the sides that go from the back bench and bolt onto where the middle bench used to be!!!! that is really slick!!! i have seen tons of old 14 and 16 ft lunds that have been re done, but i have never seen that before! its a great idea. it gives you a great place to put your depth finder and i bet having those 2 extra ledges works great for storing styrofoam leech/worm containts, cell phone, pliers, etc in the boat...

you must fly in that thing with a 25 hp! thats an awesome looking boat! i'd love to see more pics if you have them

Sure my email is [email protected] ... I built one in mine quick for last year and i will be redoing it perminantly this spring. Have no where to work on it now.. My starcraft doesn't have any thing way up fron to run any material to it from the next bench back. thought of just making something to set on the floor and angle up the bow and the decking could be screwed to that.I just don't want to put any screws threw the side of the boat to build a frame for the deck.

hamms-check out this link to my photobucket page...

http://s635.photobucket.com/albums/uu78/jwmiller33/?start=80

you can look around at my pics on there... all the pics i have of my boat are on pages 4 5 and 6 i believe

Here's what i did to mine, i6t now has a 25hp merc on it. it had 3 benches and the little front one. I took out all of them except the seat support for the front bench and the little one it the very front of the boat. i drilled through the sidee of the boat and attached it to my side compartments. there isn't any movement in the sides of the boat either on the water or on the trailer. up front I have a battery compartment for the trolling motor, as well as a livewell with a bilge pump for recirculating the water. It also has an arrerator to pump the water into it. I have a 2x4 frame under the flooring for stability. it really is noce to not have any benches to climp over. the whole project took we about a week last winter, and only cost me @$300 in materials. I also gave the trailer a new coat of black paint.

boat3-1.jpg

Picture095.jpg

Picture098.jpg

Thanks fellas for the compliments. The seats are fine in the rain. I thought maybe I would have to drill some holes in the bottom of them, but they came with 2 holes drilled to drain water. I like the vex in there as well. I put a vexilar alumaducer (reads through aluminum) below the rear bench seat. I can pick up my jig while vertical jigging on occasion, and often times watch walleyes come up and hit it. Like icefishing in a boat. Yeah she moves along at a pretty good clip. If I remember right its in the upper 20s at WOT with 2 dudes, 6 gallons of fuel, and gear. Most often I keep it at around 3/4 throttle to save on gas.

Here's what I love about my little guy.

Weight: I can personally lift the boat up off the trailer in order to straighten it out. Also, I have portaged through a beaver dam through a tiny creek into another lake.

15 hp: I can troll down slow enough to drag a jig at a crawling pace.

Vinyl floor on lower deck. I can take it out and clean underneath - carpet absorbs all...here check it out.

DSCF0301.jpg

Paint: I love the look of a clean boat, inside and out. It's also nice to blend in with your surroundings wheter you are duck hunting, or just in a secret spot!

Things I dont' like/would like to have...

Rodholders/storage

Stability: my boat is a little narrow for my liking

Lights: I use clamp on's. I wish I would hardwire some in, but that would require another battery. clamp on's work just fine...

Hope this helps a bit...ther's more this was just off the top of my head.