• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish are really starting to bite but its a middle of the day bite typical fall bite caught pike,eyes,sunfish,bass and crappies today and its only gonna get better..

Good Luck guys

Thanks for the report Elwood. Any chance you could tell me what lake the eye's were hitting for you on. I am thinking of hitting Blue or little elk tomorrow. I was thinking of pulling a crawler around unless you have a better idea. Thanks for your help. I normaly don't fish this time of year but I have one deer in the freezer and my 6 year old daughter wants to do some fishing. Thanks again.

All I can say is that both of those lakes will produce eyes this time of year and my perferd bait is jigs under a bobber and fatheads or even small suckers

Good luck

• 5 months later...

Little Elk has been ice free since Sunday afternoon the kid caught a few small crappies from shore by the dam. they should be turning on any day.

• 3 weeks later...

Joey and a friend were out on Little Elk this evening and only got a few small sunnies and no crappies as of yet they just didn't seem to find them yet.

They have the next few days off of school so I'm sure they will be out searching for some crappies I'll keep you posted if they find some.

• 2 weeks later...

Joey and a friend that lives on the lake got into the crappies yesterday and caught them until almost 10:30pm . They got them deeper than typical and got them on lindy little nippers tipped with waxies and crappie bites.

Lots of small ones wi th an occasional nice one in the mix.

• 1 month later...

Joey and a few friends were out catching pike yesterday thrown raps and spinner baits they caught about 10-12 pike biggest was around 6 lbs they also had one up to the boat around 10 lbs.

They were casting along the milfoil weed line.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

Fished Little Elk and we caught bass in the weeds this weekend throwing spinner baits and even taking some on top water frogs on the edges of the thick milfoil.

Caught pike throwing spoons along the weed lines also.

• 1 month later...

Great fishing on Little Elk Lake early friday morning 7/13/12. I was using my favorite bass/ northern lures: the spinnerbait. Caught quite a few 3lbs'ers , 1-4.5, and a 27' northern. I really like this lake early morning or right before dark. I never had any luck otherwise. Anyone else? How about the Briggs chain? I have not fished it yet but am looking to try it on Sat. morn.

Hey, thanks for the report! Glad you registered. If you have any questions posting those pics you know where to find me. wink

Well our first trip on the Rum this year turned out just fine. We went out not expecting much due to the influx of new water from the rain on Friday night so we just started out casting the usual patterns on a drift to get our river legs back underneath us. We took a few smallies on current breaks and dragging jigs through the rocks in light current areas. The water was a little muddy so we took a run to an area I knew had slower water. In the slower, clearer water we found quite a few pike and some better smallies on spinner baits. As we worked into another current seam by deeper water we found smallies, pike and walleys mixed together.

Combos of jigs, raps and spinners produced the bass, pike and couple of 'eyes. It made for a nice night out.

Wow Wanderer that brings back memories. Its been at least 10 years sense I fished the rum.

How bad were the deer flys? That was always the worst part. Any size to the walleyes?

The deer flies are still buzzing and trying to bite. A few of them succeeded. mad Long pants, long sleeve shirt, and a head net helped. They're starting to thin out a little though.

The 'eyes? We'll just say a person could've kept them if they wanted to. wink We release pretty much everything on the river though.

Ok, I would like to edit something. The northern was 27" , not feet...lol.

PM sent.

• 3 weeks later...

My son has been having lots of fun wading the small river around the princeton area catching smallies and alot of pike.

Yesterday the son and a buddy caught over 40 pike in just a couple of hours throwing spoons and small bucktails on small river biggest was around 32 inches most went around 26-27 inches.

I haven't heard much for action on any of the area lakes.

Just got off the lake and was out for about 3 hours and ended up catching around 20 bass lot of small ones but got into a few nice ones.

Started out with a texas style lizzard and the first few docks produced then went to the other side of the lake and they didnt want that so I went to a tube with 1/8 oz weighted hook and fished really slow and thats what they wanted.

Water is really green but they were still laying in the shadows of the docks.

I just got off of little elk and was skunked tonight. I just do not know what is going on this August. I cannot catch bass and northern like last year or even like I did earlier this spring and summer. I went to my favorite spots and used my favorite gear and nothing. Anyone else having a poor fishing summer?

Were you hitting the docks?

I have had my best luck this year with a really really slow falling tube jig like a tube on a hook alone no weight on the hook.

Haven't worked the deeper water this year at all.

Just with spinners/ buzzers and frogs. I did GREAT last year with white , black, black/red spinner baits on every lake around here. From Bald Eagle to Elk, Sandy, Baxter and Blue. I just started bass fishing last year and do not know much about soft plastics and those texas rigs,etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I got out to Blue for a couple hours on 9/16/2012 fished a weedline that is close to deep water and has a nice break from 10-19'...there were fished marked on the graph in that area so I gave it a try and ended up catching around 30 crappies but they ran small as I was trying to get a few for a meal and by the time it got dark I only had 4...2 that were 11 a 10 and a 9.5. All of them were caught jigging or swimming a 1/16oz jig with a 2.5 black shad gulp minnow. Fall is here...let the games begin!!

• 2 months later...

Most lakes in our area are mush with this snow. It would have been nice to have this cold before the snow.

Has anybody seen any traffic out on lakes though? I would have to imagine that with the last few nights dipping down to single digits and below that the slush froze up pretty good. Slush doesnt insulate, the snow above it does and being that most of the snow pushed down and turned to slush the top layer of snow has to be only a few inches. Or am I completely wrong here?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

my brother said about 2 inches before the snow

Has anybody seen any traffic out on lakes though? I would have to imagine that with the last few nights dipping down to single digits and below that the slush froze up pretty good. Slush doesnt insulate, the snow above it does and being that most of the snow pushed down and turned to slush the top layer of snow has to be only a few inches. Or am I completely wrong here?

the last few nights might have helped but there is too much snow on top of the ice for it all to turn into slush...what happens is a crust is formed with snow then frozen slush breaking through to the good ice (if there was any). There was not a thick enough ice base with this much snow on top for it to get thick quick even with the recent temps...basically it was the worst time in our area for the snow to come...even if we had this cold snap before the 12+ inches of snow it still would have been a slushy mess....Tread lightly if you are going on the local lakes in this area!!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

agreed ozzie i think we all may need to head north to find good ice.

I don't usually shy away from ice on the lakes but if you think that you will be safe on the ice your flirting with disaster. The ice was in poor condition at it's best before the snow and we will need a lot of below zero nights to get the ice in any condition to navigate.

Be safe and use the buddy system if you plan on venturing out. Also let someone know where your going and what time you plan on getting off the lake.