• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Non-Oxy gas in my truck?

SkunkedAgain

Question

I thought that I remembered reading at the pump that you're not supposed to put non-oxy gas into your vehicles unless it calls for it.

I use the non-oxy, higher-octane in my snowmobile and chainsaws. I usually take up a big can of it and if I don't use it all, dump it into my truck's gas tank for the drive home.

Do they tell you not to put it in your vehicle's tank for pollution issues or engine issues?

They only say that for pollution issues. The non-oxy is better for your truck. It also has more energy than the oxy garbage.

Although I've never heard of anyone being checked, I believe it is illegal to use it for on-highway motor use.

Whether or not it is better for your truck may be questionable. Newer vehicles are designed to run with 10% ethanol blended fuel. I know my 2001 and now my 2009 both recommend using 87 octane only. Using higher octane reduces my fuel efficiency and performance.

I have found oxygenated gas is only available in the Midwest. We only have to go as far as Iowa to find it optional at the pump. Most States don't even sell it. Your mileage will usually go up with real gas.....I hate the stuff....Don't get me started......

I don't believe that it is illegal to run regular gas. The octane rating doesn't have anything to do with whether or not a fuel is oxygenated, but ethanol adds octane rating to a fuel if I am not mistaken.

He was asking about using non-oxygenated fuel. The only way you'll get that in MN is in the 91 octane or higher and you'll notice that there is a warning on the pump informing that it is for off-road use only.

Edit: I believe it is allowed for use in collector vehicles as well.

I guess you might be right about being illegal, but there is no way you would get ticketed for it. I saw a reference to some state statute, another unenforceable law on the books.

I think you guys are confusing Non-oxygenated gas that can be found at various locations around town with the gas farmers use for farming which is exempt from some taxes making it much cheaper for farmers and illegal for us to use. They put a die into it and if you get caught with it in your vehicle you are toasted by the Feds. The DOT will often check for the die. There wouldn't be anyway for someone to check if you were using Non-OX gas anyway. I don't recall if my station has a sign or not stating it is illegal to use but I doubt it. I just fill up the boat and cans and go on my way.

I'm not sure but I believe newer vehicles after 1996 are set up to run on the [PoorWordUsage] gas so no benefit in using non-ox in newer vehicles. Guys with older classic cars and us with older outboards use Non-oxygenated gas exclusively.

You are correct you need the sign on the pump.

I just called my station. He did laugh and say there is no way of enforcing it and said go ahead and use it if you want he sells a lot of it everday. He did say like I did DO NOT GET caught with the Agriculture gas and thats actually diesel fuel guys are running diesel trucks will try to avoid the road taxes on, that unlike non-ox pump gas can be detected.

I suppose they could enforce it if they tested your gas for ethanol. If it comes to that point we need to revolution. The difference with the dyed off-road fuel is that there is no tax paid on it because you are not using it on the road, but the non-oygenated stuff we were talking about is still taxed.

If you read that statute it becomes clear why nobody, including the legislators that wrote the law, knows exactly what a law means.

Bulk gasoline delivered for farm operations no longer come tax exempt. Hasn't for a quite a few years. Off-road diesel is tax exempt but is also died red. It's been a while but if memory serves me correctly, the fuel isn't totally tax exempt. I think it is only state taxes that are waved and we still pay federal taxes.

The cost of getting caught can be quite high if my information is accurate. Someone once told me that if you are caught with any die residue in your fuel, you could be assessed a $2,000.00 fine plus $100.00 per gallon capacity of your vehicle regardless of how much fuel you actually had in the tank(s). My old 85 diesel pickup with two tanks would have cost me approximately $5,000.00 if I would have used off-road diesel and got caught. It would take a lot of gallons of fuel to save that kind of money to make it worth the risk.

But, this is getting off track. My point was that it is illegal to buy off-road non-oxygenated gasoline in MN for use in highway vehicles. Using it for your boat, lawn mower, ATV, or classic car is permitted by law.

My other point was that non-oxygenated fuel may not necessarily be better for your vehicle. It was mentioned that this may be true for newer vehicles but not older ones. This has been true for at least 10 to 15 years (my former 2001 F150 for one) so this may apply to older vehicles too. It isn't automatically beneficial.

Down here in Iowa we have the choice between E-85, 10% 87 octane or regular unleaded 89 octane( Non oxy for you northern guys) Think premium is 91 octane but can be run in your trucks. My 01 GMC gets alot better milage on 91 than on 10%. My sled does better on 91 also over the 89.

The way I read the statute it says that the retailer who are selling the gas need to comply with the ethanol requirement. I did not see anything that said it is illegal to use non-ethanol added gasoline in MN. It appears they are holding the sellers of the gas responsible for the compliance.

You can buy non-ethanol based gasoline in a number of bordering states so there is no way to keep out of vehicles entering MN. in fact I always try to fill my tank in when I visit these states to take advantage of the straight gasoline offered there.

I just filled up my truck on the way home from up north pulling wheelers. I noticed at the pump it was non oxy after I got it filled. I got much better milage with that than I've ever gotten before...coincidence??

i really wish they would ditch that ethenal. ive had to deal with sooo many issues with that at work. the fuel doesnt last more than like 3 months. we've had so many lawn mowers comeback from sitting over the winter only to find out the carb and lines are completely gummed up.. non-oxy is the way to go imo

i really wish they would ditch that ethenal. ive had to deal with sooo many issues with that at work. the fuel doesnt last more than like 3 months. we've had so many lawn mowers comeback from sitting over the winter only to find out the carb and lines are completely gummed up.. non-oxy is the way to go imo

In all the years that I've stored gasoline (probably 30 yers or more) I can remember only one time that I had gas turn bad and it wasn't by sitting over winter but by sitting over summer. The gasoline in my ice auger went rancid and all I did was poor it out, refill the tank, prime it a couple times, and it was running.

I use 87 octane 10% blended fuel in everything except my ATV. My ATV is air cooled and when riding during the summer can get rather warm, which seems to cause 87 octane to pre-ignite too easily otherwise I'd use 87 in my ATV too.

The gasoline I have mixed 40:1 for my chainsaw and weed eater is probably 2 years old or more and is stored in an old anti-freeze jug. The mixture I had prior to refilling the jug was many years older than that. I'm talking probably somewhere around 10 years old and I used it until I finally drained that jug. I obviously don't use my chainsaw too much anymore. The gasoline in my garden tiller...well...I don't remember when I filled that tank last. I only use it for about a half-hour every year so who knows how old it is. The gasoline in my lawn mowers has been sitting for quite some time since I mowed my lawn only three times last summer due to the dry conditions. The last time I filled my boat was in August, which is typical, and I expect it will be fine. In fact, I think the boat is only about 1/4 full right now so I'll have to fill it next spring.

I do not treat my fuel with any additives except to use an injector/carburetor cleaner maybe once every couple years and I know I haven't used any of that in my chainsaw.

I don't know what kind of fuel you all use but I don't buy the "can't keep more than three months" story.

well maybe its just where we get our fuel. but it sure doesnt seem to last long. didnt mean to offend you thats why i said IMO

Oops, you misunderstood my reply. I was not offended. Just sharing how my experience differs from most. Don't know why but it just does.

Although Bobs experience is not unheard of, its most often not the norm. I personally wont use fuel more than a year old, but for some reason I cant seem to keep it around that long anyway. smile The amount of spoiled fuel problems, especially found on small engines has skyrocketed it recent years.

The length of time that fuel lasts varies greatly and is most affected by storage methods and temperature. The three month time period often cited, is basically the amount of time it takes before fuel will no longer meet its specification perameters. That doesn't mean the fuel is completely no good or unusable, just that it wont perform as it would in its original state. All fuel begins to degrade as soon as it is refined, but because of the alcohol content, ethanol fuels just do it faster. Ethanol gas can absorb 50 times more water than non ethanol gasoline. The less it is subject to temperature variations and air/humidity the longer it will be usable. A tightly sealed container in a dry, shaded, or temperature consistent place will keep gasoline useable for the longest time.

What do you mean by "much?"

Pulling 2 wheelers with my ranger, I got over 2mpg better with the non oxy gas in the tank.

There are so many variables involved I dont think anyone could set a specific time. Generally SeaFoam will extend the life of fuel to a point but will not bring back fuel that is already degraded. It depends on if it were totally fresh gas to start with, if it was stored in a good airtight container, in warm or cool spot, and so on. Like I said earlier, treated or not I try not to let it sit more than a year without using it. You could go longer and possibly be ok, but in a two stroke it would be the more risky due to the possibly of (pre) detonation.

Although Bobs experience is not unheard of, its most often not the norm. I personally wont use fuel more than a year old, but for some reason I cant seem to keep it around that long anyway. smile The amount of spoiled fuel problems, especially found on small engines has skyrocketed it recent years.

The length of time that fuel lasts varies greatly and is most affected by storage methods and temperature. The three month time period often cited, is basically the amount of time it takes before fuel will no longer meet its specification perameters. That doesn't mean the fuel is completely no good or unusable, just that it wont perform as it would in its original state. All fuel begins to degrade as soon as it is refined, but because of the alcohol content, ethanol fuels just do it faster. Ethanol gas can absorb 50 times more water than non ethanol gasoline. The less it is subject to temperature variations and air/humidity the longer it will be usable. A tightly sealed container in a dry, shaded, or temperature consistent place will keep gasoline useable for the longest time.

I suppose I could be just flirting with problems but so far I've been okay...or...lucky.