• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

trout fishing has been Poor on Itasca county lakes unless you want 3 lbers for the smoker. while on bluewater in the same spot I told BMC to check out my brother had a 12 to 15 lber chase right up to the hole but wouldnt eat. theres still some pigs in caribou and bluewater but I would suggest fishing extremely deep when its sunny and if its overcast low pressure situation move up to the weed edge on blue wich runs to about 20 ft but only in certain areas wich you have to find. All the laker lakes in this area are extremely clear and you have to fish them accordingly.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee Lane

• levy382

• bmc

• pikestabber

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking over the posting MY laketrout minded brain realized that you were probably after stream trout in wich case I STAND CORRECTED! there are quite a few stream trout opportunities up for grabs in the area and they are most likely eating better than lakers in the above mentioned lakes. I aint going to name them all but if i had to reccomend one it would be erskine lake between togo and effie. besides rainbows the lake also holds splake trout and the occasional brookie wich i dont think is mentioned in the stocking reports so JB Master Angler, I dont wanna hear it!

LOL!!! I think I can look past that one wink

Of course I couldn't resist the urge to look at the lakefinder after reading that, and the lake was stocked with brookies back in 2000. So that could mean 2 different options...A) there are some really big brookies swimming around from that stocking, or B) there may be some natural reproduction taking place (which although rare, brookies can do in lakes). Either way, erskine looks like a pretty good splake lake.

where do you look up your info if I may ask?? Just curious cuz I looked up the before mentioned walleye stocking and found stocking in all of the lakes i mentioned.....which leads me to my next point ....thats why I never read them things!! lol ive read info about lakes that were suppose to be stocked with the motherload and turned out to be the dead sea and read up on lakes that barely claimed there was fish present and they turned out to be the next lake X. From what I know the state record splake trout was really caught out of erskine and not larson lake down the road a few miles like the guy that caught it claimed. Ive caught a few brookies and a few splake out of that lake but nothing huge. I fish the lake for its rainbows and have caught some nice ones up to 8lbs but back in 2000 I lost a rainbow fishing from shore in the summertime that pretty much retired me from streamer fishing to date. I know my chances are slim of ever hooking up with a fish like that again.

thanks for the info lee im after lakers streamers are ok but id rather go after lakers they have there way of getting ahold of ya as you know.

all the lakes in the area kinda suck right now walleye. theres fish there and big ones also but the bite is nowhere like it is on other lakes further north at the current time. I think its mostly because of water clairity and both bluewater and caribou are extremely clear this winter. As are trout and the pit. Id go with bluewater because it has the easiest access and Personally ive had great luck there in the past but believe me its been tough for me and everyone ive talked to this year.

looks like i will be on big trout for now its the only laker lake close to me, but i did get a 5 and 3 last sunday its not the best but better than nothin.2 weeks and im off to the gunflint with a buddy from up there. good luck

Trout never used to be that bad of a lake. I havent fished it in a few yrs but I caught some nice ones. Now I hear people talking about it like its the dammed but theres gotta be fish left in there they probably just cant catch them.

i here ya iv defently put my time in out there and got a couple spots that havent let me down. the lake im talken is in crow wing county is that the same one you were thinkin.

Lee, I look it up on the DNR lakefinder. The only stocking data for winni (since we've discussed that lake before) was for whitefish. The only thing I can think of is since the DNR collects walleyes from alot of those lakes, they don't consider it "stocking" when they replenish what those walleyes would've put in themselves.

You are right to say those records aren't always accurate though. I checked a metro lake for trout stocking, and it said 1,500 rainbow yearlings for 2009. When I e-mailed the DNR about that, they said that was their goal, but since they only used surplus trout for that lake, and there wasn't any left over, the lake didn't get those 1,500 trout like the report said it did.

I wouldn't give up on the streamers. Lake trout are without a doubt the ultimate fish! But a quality streamer can put up a heckuva fight on light tackle. I caught a 3 pound brown trout a couple weeks ago and it was a blast!

Lol jb you keep on them and keep em honest!!! I was thinking the trout lake here since its the gr forum but I also know the trout lake there in crow wing though ive never fished it.

thats what i was thinkin. i havent got up there for lakers yet and wanted to give it a shot lee so before season is over. good luck

Thanks Lee that was the one morning last week that it snowed until about 10:00. A couple buddies came out as i was leaving and didn't mark a fish they stayed until 3:00.

After looking at the DNR lake finder last night, I headed up to Kremer today from about noon till 3:30pm. Punched about 15 holes in 10-30 feet of water. Threw everything at them but dynamite and never graphed a fish.

Regardless, a beautiful day in northern MN. The pooch had a great time running around and checking things out. It didn't look like alot of activity out there.

Brian

bmc.....

What are the snow and ice conditions on Kremer? I've never had a lot of action on Kremer, a splake here, a brownie there. I've probably caught as many largemouth bass and suckers thru the ice as I have trout there.

Probably about 5" of snow on top of 20" of ice. No slush that I found and pretty easy walking. It doesn't look like alot of activity out there. Maybe early morning or later towards evening would be better?

Brian

I try and fish it at least once a ice season, usually in the morning. There hasn't been an abundant sign of folks fishing it the last couple years. Who knows? I don't put in enough time on it to figure out any season to season fluctuations.

I went out this weekend had a little luck on Saturday caught one missed one had a few chasers they shut off around 11:30 didnt mark anymore fish. Sunday had a few chasers but no takers.

Finally killed my bluewater skunk!! fished last saturday afternoon and had 3 fish the first 15 minutes I was there ....the biggest being 27 inches. Fished the rest of the afternoon without even seeing a fish until last light when I had a giant band chase my bait in 38fow but would not eat. I was just happy to see fish on my flasher as that lake has got the better of me this year!

thanks....who has the green fish house in front of the mansion in the weeds?? thats my best spot on the lake...caught more big fish there than anywhere ....just curious to know what your catching.

Nice work Lee. I'm headed up to the GR area on Sun morning. Planning to hit Caribou, Bluewater, or the Pit. I'll be in a black Fabill if anyone is out stop and say hello.

worked hard on b-side today....seen 3 fish no takers.....thinking about heading to bluewater in the morning myself with the cloud cover we finally recived.

Lee - Did you make it out to Bluewater? I Fished Caribou and Blue on Sunday with no luck. Talked to a couple of guys on Caribou, the report was SLOW. Bluewater looks great, that was my first time out there.

Tried out luck on Tioga Monday for Rainbows, again nothing. It was fun to switch gears a bit and try some new lakes though.

Don't think I'll make it back up until the ice is out. Good luck, I look forward to seeing your reports.