• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Last winter i couldn't get the crappies to bite. Marked a lot of them, but never would take anything I had to offer. Last year caught 1 crappie 10" all season. This year I have had awesome luck finding them. I have drilled holes, fished for over an hour marked them, but no bites, moved 25' over and nailed em'! Believe me or not, your decision. I try to hope when you come on the forum to get info, people are being honest, but from some comments on this post, maybe I should not be so gullible.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fishergurl

• ozzie

• CC Hurl

• monstermoose78

All I know about crappies if they don't bite in 15 to 20 minutes move and if they're not on the locator drill more holes.

I wasn't trying to say the lake doesn't hold decent fish but people from the metro like to complain about the panfish size but are the very people who catch a nice big panfish the bucket it. That is the very reason lakes get stunted. The big gene pool gets fished out and all the little basts spread their mojo. Most fisherman have now realized a big walleye or northern is an important producer and also not very tasty compared to the smaller guys. It is time people realize the same for panfish. Better for the population and the taste buds to let it go and let it grow.

I don't keep many fish at all and if I do I don't like keeping anything over 12" as they seem not as tasty once they get over 12".....In Blue you can get a nice meal of 9.5" to 10.5" crappies for the pan and they have thick backs making nice fillets. And no I have never kept a crappie over 11" out of Blue.....9/10 times out fishing I catch and release.

Fishergurl- maybe you have been catching crappies up to 12" but I still have my doubts after measuring alot of crappies that I thought were hitting 11" this year but when I taped them they all were 10.75" and not at all bigger. I do agree that in the last 2 years there is more consistantly bigger crappies that are getting to be 10" to 10.75" but there is something with the lake that crappies tend not to grow a whole lot bigger than that.....who knows maybe since this summer/late november the population grew a 1/4 to 1/2 inch.....either way there are alot of crappies in this lake and they are fun to catch just have some control when keeping them and if you do catch one that is over 11" let it swim as there are plenty 9.5" to 10.5" crappies out there.

Hi Folks, Just getting ready to do some ice fishing for the first time this year and was just wondering if people are driving out on Blue yet? Ice thickness? If not on Blue are there any other lakes that could be driven on yet in the area? I can take a sled out but want to bring the little one with and that gets a little chilly for her.

Thanks for your time and maybe I will see some of you guys on the ice. My new shack is almost done but it looks like it will be the Frabil that I will be getting started on this year.

CC HURL

I drove my little Chevy Colorado out this past weekend. There were a bunch of half ton rigs out there to. Use caution but you should be all right if you follow everyones tracks. I didn't measure but I'd guess ten inches of good ice and another 6-8 inches of frozen slush on top of that. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Dan

Here are some facts found in studies. I found it somewhat relative to the conversation.

With respect to harvest management, inland regulations accommodate harvest of 50 panfish, combined species, which includes black crappie, white crappie and other species. No minimum size limit or seasonal restrictions apply. The black crappie and white crappie are generally considered a prolific species, which has lead to liberal harvest rules. In some cases crappie can become too dense and grow slowly which results in few individuals attaining desirable size. Liberal harvest is desired in these circumstances where less competition for food resource leads to faster growth.

Sometimes I feel like I'm beating a dead horse...let it go, who cares how big the fish are, we should all just be happy that we are able to catch them. Good luck and tite lines guys.

Dan

Slabstopper. In certain lakes there can be fish that get stunted due to lack of food. Most stunting you see is from people taking all the big fish out of a lake. Keep all the big fish and the little ones spread their genes. Its the same with any species. Two people who mate who are short are likely to have short kids, we bread dogs of similar size and quality to get puppies similar to sell for higher value. Its the same with lakes that get over fished. Everyone keeps 10+ in crappies and eventually there are no big guys and gals to spread their sauce. Certain lakes its food source but there are lakes in the metro and elsewhere with ample food sources with small fish that just get hammered with fishers. Something that will take a long time to reverse and most likely impossible with the presence of people.

Lots of 11" crappies in Blue?

I saw Bigfoot one time in the campground there this summer too!

crazy

Seriously though, this is a good panfish lake but it is a numbers lake not land of the giants by any means.

Where the hell are the crappies? Hrm... I suppose they are where all the ice houses are.

Anyway, I stopped by there yesterday with nothin but a hand auger, Gander Mtn ice rod w/4 lb test mono ice line, no electronics whatsoever, no ice house, just a folding camp chair, a depth map, really warm layers, a soda, pack of smokes, some ice jigs and wax worms.

Fished the SE side at the point immediately to the left of the access. Caught a butt-load of sunnies (none-of-which were keepers). With no flasher devices and whatnot, I'm forced to fish shallow for just any kind of action and it's primarily sunfish.. Can anyone suggest a flasher-less guy some tips on how to get into the crappies? And no, I won't be getting a flasher any time soon... Budget constraints will keep me primitive at best for this season. Hell, I'm drillin holes manually. It's fun nonetheless, but I'm ready to upgrade from chip sized sunfish.

you have a depth map. you have the ability to use two lines. use your weights to measure off the bottom and try two feet off the bottom first with a minnow. use the other rod and using a bobbers stop as a guide seek the crappies by trying differnt depth until you locate suspended crappies and when you find them put a small bobber under that stopper so that you are at the same depth at all times. fish the deep holes this time of the year. if there are other fishermen ask them how deep they are and measure it off and put a bobber stop at that point. the old timers used to tell me they always fish two and a half arm length down. not a bad thing to try right off the bat on a deep hole with nobody else around. not haveing a flasher is not helpfull but we used to find them before them, just a little harder. good luck.

without a flasher i would get a plastic profile like a ratso with a euro and get it to the bottom and raise a foot stop and jiggle pause for a few seconds and then graise up another foot or so and repeat. do this through out the water column as crappies might be cruising high in the water column.....good luck

I'll start posting pictures If you all have a hard time believing me smile I'm not one to Lie when it comes to fishing reports. I like getting people on fish and I'll tell you every detail so that you have a chance for a great outing. Thanks for all of the attention though smile

Juan, the word is downsize! I have been using #16 Marmooska jigs tipped with one euro larva. 2lb test and make sure to keep those hands clean. I have noticed the fish have been very sensitive to scent. I use berkly gulp spray on my hands every time I touch anything besides bait.

I'm sure all are factors. It doesn't matter to me as long as everyone can have fun on the lake and catch fish. I was out yesterday and noticed people are leaving garbage on the lake. I found 2 propane cylinders in a hole. People if you want to fish the lake cool but please take eveything you brought home with you.

I second that! Nothing more agrivating than to go to set up, look down at the ice, and see the (much too high) price on a pack of ciggaretes or a case of beer. Pick it up or pack it up people..this ain't rocket science. And clean hands are the most overlooked element....SO important. Test it and you'll see.

Made it out last Thursday night and managed to catch a bunch of 9" - 11" crappies, then went out there this weekend, marked a lot of fish, but not a lot of takers. I hope its not going back to the Blue lake where the fish are there, but no action! There was also a lot of people that moved out to the deeper hole. Anyone have luck this weekend?

Fishergirl are they driving wheel houses out there yet? I just got my first wheelhouse ever and want to bring my little girl out there this weekend. Any tips?

Maybe we will see you out there. If you see a little girl and her dad picking up trash that will be us. Need to teach them early how to take care of mother nature.

She looks forward to it now so that is awsome.

Thanks

CC HURL

Yeah, lots of wheel houses out there. Lots of trash to! I am thinking of trying a different lake this weekend, have not decided where yet, hopefully one with not so much of a crowd. Blue was extrememly busy last weekend, could be why the fish wouldn't bite. Let me know if you have any luck!

tis the time of the season on Blue that the pressure shuts the fish down....unless it is a short trip I try to stay away from Blue or go to uncharted areas on Blue after usually the 1st of the year.....if you see trash out on the lake take the minute or two and try to pick up after the losers!!! always seem to have to bring an extra bag out to Blue during the ice season!! Pretty poor........

Ozzie, right there with ya. I never fish Blue after the houses come out and everybody starts driving. There just is way to much pressure on that lake for its size. Still haven't seen any pictures of some of them Blue lake slabs.

Mark

I agree the lake gets hit heavy, but mornings and during the week is nice when it's close to home. Right now I am just intrested in learning how to use my new toy and hopefully getting the little one on a fish or two.

Just a side note... If you know one of those guys or gals who put's trash on the lakes please ask them not too. Kinda hard when it's a freind of a freind but seems to be effective if they are called on it once. Especialy if they don't know you well. Catches them off guard. Nothing worse than letting a freind bring a freind along with you only to have to pick up after them.

Thanks for the replies, good luck and be safe.

hey. Any ice thickness updates after the cold snap? How about that public access could a two wheel drive station wagon make it up that steep hill? thanks.

go to the access on the north end and you don't have to worry about the steep access.....and the ice is plenty thick ( I didn't measure) with people driving all over out there.....

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on Blue? Its been a couple weeks since I have been out there. Been traveling to other lakes to fish during the day. Last time out on Blue 1/13, fished from 6PM - 12:30AM. Moved a few times, marked lots of fish, no bites between 6 - 9:30. Between 9:30 - 11:30 two of us caught 20 crappies, kept 9 between 9" - 11". 11:30 - 12:30 again marked fish, but shut right off.