• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Went out last night, fishing for walleyes, caught none! A few smaller bass. Was disappointing, we should have went for the crappies! Next Time! How did you do nwa?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fishergurl

• ozzie

• CC Hurl

• monstermoose78

We started fishing for Crappies and only found a few small ones and did get one nice 11 inch. Ended up fishing for the bass and did fairly good with some nice fish around 15 inches or so.

I was fishing crappies on Blue last week with gulp and a small jighead on an ultralight rod (4 lb line) when I hooked this fish. Very fun fight on the light gear. We didn't have a scale, but she measured 27" and had to be around 8 lbs (very thick fish). I caught a 28" on Blue a few years ago fishing for crappies too.

walleye_fight.jpg

walleye_horizontal.jpg

walleye_vertical.jpg

Nice catch Juan!!! Looks like you might have been a little off the weedline when that one hit?? or were you on a sunken island? Glad to see that you are getting fish with the gulp and jig.....Did you happen to get any other walleyes in that area?

Yeah, we were just off the weedline. Pretty silty bottom when we pulled up the anchor. Didn't catch many crappie that day or any other walleye, but we weren't out that long.

Some guys were dragging lindy rigs around us the whole time we were there. I think they were pretty p*ssed when I brought that fish in. Better to be lucky some times...

I forgot to mention, the walleye went back in the lake.

again congrats on the walleye....maybe that was the 26" I caught and released last year!!

Could be, I've caught three walleye on Blue over five years at they were 17, 27 and 28 so there are some nice ones in there.

I know the area you're referring to...by the pads right?

got out for an hour and half last night and caught 11 crappies, 2 nice perch, and a 13" bass.....the crappies were decent size with 3 of them nice 10.5-11" but overall they weren't very active....oh well I will give it another shot tonight!!

oh man, I was gonna see if you wanted to go out too. We are actually staying in town this weekend, so if you want to go fishing give me a call or shoot me an email.

sorry adam I was out of town....might have to hook up or meet out on blue one of these days!!

Went to Blue this last weekend, and found some nice Crappies later in the evening. Kept 9 nice crappies between 10" - 11 1/4". Was a lot of fun!

WOW you caught one that went over 11"...congrats that is a tough thing to do!! the later evenings had been producing great for me until last week then it was slow from 8 to dark

I had a tough time catching them last weekend. Granted I was fishing gulp/jig under a bobber......on a barbie pole with the girls, but I can still usually manage some. Fish were not touching the gulp for me.

Bass fishing was decent in the limited time I had out there though.

I was using Gulp 2.5 inch minnows to weed out some smaller fish and I managed some very nice sunnies on them. Was the blue minnow. This was about a week ago. Hope to get back out there this week one night yet.

We were just using crappies minnows on a red hook, in 5ft of water. Tried the gulp, but only got a few bites. I guess maybe I am not using the right gulp, but I have not really caught much on it.

fishergurl- I like to use the gulp alive 2.5" minnow without a bobber and with a 1/32oz jig and cast and vary your retrieve from a let it fall and pop it up let it fall pop it up etc. to a steady retrieve....it might take a little while to gain confidence but it is a great way to fish for multiple species and keep alot of the smaller fish off....good luck

went out last night for a couple hours and had a tough time for crappies but caught alot of nicer sized sunnies and a couple nicer bass to pass the time.....

• 4 months later...

went out last night for a couple hours until dark and found the crappies staging in the deeper holes and even caught a chunky 15.5" walleye for a sandwich!! the fish are stacked up if you use your electronics and brave the cold!!

Looks like it might be hard to get your boat out now. Ice is almost completely covering tonight. My guess is the only open water come morning will be where the 100+ swans are swimming:^)

Let the ice season begin:^)

where abouts were the swans swimming and keeping the lake open? I always like to stay away from those spots on early ice.....

Blue at the north access on Wednesday had anywhere from 4-6 inches but it was milky looking ice...the surprising thing was there was no snow on the lake!! there was one house out there about 200 yds out but I didn't check to see how they were doing....

What does Milky looking ice mean? Safe or not safe? Sorry, I am blond! I want to go out there tonight, but it will be dark before I can go. Little nervous!

The clearer the ice the better the strength...milky looking ice means it can be softer and you need to use more caution if that is possible when going on to early ice......I would recommend that if you go use a chisel to continuously check the ice as you go.....I went out 50yds and it took 5-6 smacks with the chisel to get through but it can vary each step you take....use the buddy system and have a long rope and life jackets are never a bad idea when getting to a spot on early ice.....good luck and let us know how the bite goes

Have not been out to do my yearly ice report. Maybe soon. Have seen some people out this week (early in the week M, T, W nights) coming out from north access. Have not yet seen a sled or ATV and would not recommend. As stated the whole south end was open until last Friday. There was also one spot out in the middle north of the 2 points that was open also.

I've only been out about 30 yards (last Sunday) and that ice looked clear and good. Maybe I'll go out tomorrow. Snow will slow progress:^(

For a few bucks a person can get a nice pair of ice spikes to hang around their neck. The spikes push into the other handles for storage and the affair hangs on you as well as any necklace. Doesn't cause a hassle or get in your way while fishing.

Please take the time to pick up a pair if you don't already have them. I consider them a must have for early ice exploration or any time you're travelling on unfamiliar ice.

Be safe. smile

Went out Saturday for quite awhile. Ice is good 5"-6". Caught 1 nice perch. Had a couple good bites on a shiner, but they must not be that hungry, sucked on it for 5 minutes,set the hook, felt real nice, and then spit it out! Gets your adrenaline going. Fifteen minutes later, same thing. Was a good time! Taking the wheeler out next time.