• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St Croix Icefishing lure staples. (pictures)

Hit

I started this thread because every year the St Croix sort of shuffles the deck so to speak on what the fish want. Lures and techniques that worked this year might not work at all next year. In addition to the shuffling of the deck with lures there seems to be a definite "bite window". Unfortunately the "bite window" seems to be getting shorter every year.

If anyone is having success out there please share what is working for you. Minnows...maggots....plastics....explosives....whatever. SM

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sausageman

• DonBo

• Turk

• croix walleye 6

I have only been out there once this year. We had really good fishing, 2 guys caught over 30 crappies. We didn't get out there till around noon and fished till dark. Best lure was a 5mm tungsten jig with small crappie minnows. My second line was a plain red hook and minnow and that rig only caught 3 or 4 fish. All the rest were on the jig and small minnow combo. It seems like the size of the fish is a little better then last year. Can't wait to get out again.

So far plastics have outfished minnows for me. White fiskas jig tipped with a red and white plastic have caught the majority of crappies for me. Have got a few fish on minnows too but if I have both baits down they hit the plastic every time. Bigger fish than last year for me too.

• 1 year later...
GeluNumber1

I use 3 pound fluorocarbon for crappies, 6 pound for walleye and sauger. Haven't gone for anything else so can't say what else you'd use.