• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

MankatoFlyer

Curious what most people use around here in their permanents.

Building mine right now and I'm almost done.

I understand a regular vented furnance would be the best ,but cant afford that. I see a lot of houses for sale on craiglist with the direct vent prpane heaters. Does this make a lot of moisture in your house? thought about using my big kerosene heater, but just takes up a lot of room in a small house. so what say you?

One more ?

Ran 12-2 wiring for two lights and an outlet. Hooked up an extension cord to that and that sticks out of the house for the generator. What do I need to do, so I can just use a battery and not have the generator all the time?

do I need an invertor and then just plug it into the outlet and backfeed the power? Or by 12 volt bulbs? Tried hooking gator clips to the outside plug and used a marine battery and that wouldnt power the bulbs enough.

highlife4me

I have a direct vent in my fishouse. Don't have a problem with moisture but I always have the vents open on top. I would leave the kerosene at home unless it is a last resort.

As for lights you have a couple options. If you have regular light fixtures you will need 12 volt bulbs to power with a battery but do not use a generator to power these bulbs with 110. You will blow the bulbs right away. Use a battery charger to recharge your battery to power the bulbs. Or you can put more fixtures in and use smaller bulbs like trailer light bulbs.

MankatoFlyer

doesnt that let a lot of heat out having ceiling vents open?

erik-the-great

i have a empire vent free heater and yes you can hook up clips to a battery and use the same wire as your 110v you have to replace the bulbs with 12volt bulbs we used to do that for years

highlife4me

No not really with a light wind it actually equals the temp in the house. like a ceiling fan. Vents are top of walls.

MankatoFlyer

thanks

K_Josh87

this is off topic a little bit, but with this cold weather i;ve had an issue with getting pressure out of my propane tanks... i had an idea, but I do not know that i am brave enough to try it, so wondering if anyone else has ever tried/or heard or has any nay says on it... i was thinking it might be possible to use a magnetic heater (oil pan/Block) and run it off the inverter... i don't know how hot it would get and of if it may cause an issue.... but thought if it would work, it might work well... any thoughts?

Reid G

I think, the LP isn't gelling up or moving slower in the lines cause of the temps. Is cause there's probably traces of moisture in your tank and/or lines and/or heater that is freezing up and causing partial blockages. Anyone else, is this right?

So, i'm not sure if the mag heater is gonna take care of the problem.

jeepster

Well I do know that LP will Freeze, we have had issues of LP freezing at the hog barns. We had to put nipco's next to the tanks. Weather or not that is your issue, I just know that it is possible for LP to freeze.

Reid G

Just looked it up. Freezing point of propane is -310 degrees Farenheit.

I still think it's residual moisture.

K_Josh87

so.... maybe plumb in one of those tee water traps somehow off of the tank??? I re-did the regulator and replaced the 1/4inch copper lines teed into a half in copper line, with one rubber line plumbed straight back into house...I have never had luck getting a 20lb cylinder to empty in the cold... just was a thought....

stymie

Freezing point is -44 degrees F, while this is the point that propane will no longer flow, the true issue has to do with tank size and volume. In other words, the larger your tank and the closer it is to full, the further you can push the -44 degree freezing point. I am not sure on the exact temp, but somewhere around -20, the flow so to speak is greatly decreased, thus again bringing us around to the size and volume issue. So, the best solution to cold weather is to have as large a tank as possible and keep it full. Ideally, bring one tank that you utilize during the daylight hours and then have a second full tank to switch to as the sun sets and the temps plummet.

MankatoFlyer

Hey guys,

I guess I bothered ya for nothing. I put R 13 in the house, since it has 2x4 walls. I also bought a battery operated fan from gander for the ceiling. Cant run the mr buddy above low or it cooks you out in there! Glad I spent the money on insulation.

Just put the house out yesterday and caught a bunch of sunfish.

On another note:

Turned my back for 2 seconds while I was putting away some tools and my buddy fired up the generator while we still had the 12 volt bulbs in! There went a quick 5 bucks. Oh well, at least we caught fish.