• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Curious what most people use around here in their permanents.

Building mine right now and I'm almost done.

I understand a regular vented furnance would be the best ,but cant afford that. I see a lot of houses for sale on craiglist with the direct vent prpane heaters. Does this make a lot of moisture in your house? thought about using my big kerosene heater, but just takes up a lot of room in a small house. so what say you?

One more ?

Ran 12-2 wiring for two lights and an outlet. Hooked up an extension cord to that and that sticks out of the house for the generator. What do I need to do, so I can just use a battery and not have the generator all the time?

do I need an invertor and then just plug it into the outlet and backfeed the power? Or by 12 volt bulbs? Tried hooking gator clips to the outside plug and used a marine battery and that wouldnt power the bulbs enough.

I have a direct vent in my fishouse. Don't have a problem with moisture but I always have the vents open on top. I would leave the kerosene at home unless it is a last resort.

As for lights you have a couple options. If you have regular light fixtures you will need 12 volt bulbs to power with a battery but do not use a generator to power these bulbs with 110. You will blow the bulbs right away. Use a battery charger to recharge your battery to power the bulbs. Or you can put more fixtures in and use smaller bulbs like trailer light bulbs.

i have a empire vent free heater and yes you can hook up clips to a battery and use the same wire as your 110v you have to replace the bulbs with 12volt bulbs we used to do that for years

No not really with a light wind it actually equals the temp in the house. like a ceiling fan. Vents are top of walls.

this is off topic a little bit, but with this cold weather i;ve had an issue with getting pressure out of my propane tanks... i had an idea, but I do not know that i am brave enough to try it, so wondering if anyone else has ever tried/or heard or has any nay says on it... i was thinking it might be possible to use a magnetic heater (oil pan/Block) and run it off the inverter... i don't know how hot it would get and of if it may cause an issue.... but thought if it would work, it might work well... any thoughts?

I think, the LP isn't gelling up or moving slower in the lines cause of the temps. Is cause there's probably traces of moisture in your tank and/or lines and/or heater that is freezing up and causing partial blockages. Anyone else, is this right?

So, i'm not sure if the mag heater is gonna take care of the problem.

Well I do know that LP will Freeze, we have had issues of LP freezing at the hog barns. We had to put nipco's next to the tanks. Weather or not that is your issue, I just know that it is possible for LP to freeze.

Just looked it up. Freezing point of propane is -310 degrees Farenheit.

I still think it's residual moisture.

so.... maybe plumb in one of those tee water traps somehow off of the tank??? I re-did the regulator and replaced the 1/4inch copper lines teed into a half in copper line, with one rubber line plumbed straight back into house...I have never had luck getting a 20lb cylinder to empty in the cold... just was a thought....

Freezing point is -44 degrees F, while this is the point that propane will no longer flow, the true issue has to do with tank size and volume. In other words, the larger your tank and the closer it is to full, the further you can push the -44 degree freezing point. I am not sure on the exact temp, but somewhere around -20, the flow so to speak is greatly decreased, thus again bringing us around to the size and volume issue. So, the best solution to cold weather is to have as large a tank as possible and keep it full. Ideally, bring one tank that you utilize during the daylight hours and then have a second full tank to switch to as the sun sets and the temps plummet.

Hey guys,

I guess I bothered ya for nothing. I put R 13 in the house, since it has 2x4 walls. I also bought a battery operated fan from gander for the ceiling. Cant run the mr buddy above low or it cooks you out in there! Glad I spent the money on insulation.

Just put the house out yesterday and caught a bunch of sunfish.

On another note:

Turned my back for 2 seconds while I was putting away some tools and my buddy fired up the generator while we still had the 12 volt bulbs in! There went a quick 5 bucks. Oh well, at least we caught fish.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.