• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

riverrat56

Were about a month into the ice season, how does this year rate compared to "normal" for everyone?

Some highlights from my journal; I've been out 11 times on 7 differnt lakes, compared to this time last year I've only fished half as many days and 2 less lakes. What it also means is that I've struggled to nail down any type of a consitant bite. 17 walleyes have ended up on the right side of the ice so far, along with about ~20 small crappies, a handful of sunfish and some tiny perch. I also had a blast icing about ~15 channel cats last weekend.

Of the 11 trips, 8 have been to target walleyes, 2 for panfish and 1 for channel cats. All of the walleyes have come from shallow "bowl" type lakes, most have been taken on Buckshot spoons and #3 Chubby Darters. I found crappies relating to shallow weeds just like last year, but the size of these fish was lacking.

So it hasn't been bad but it also hasn't been lights out either. Hopefully we get some consistant weather here soon and some type of pattern starts to emerge!

Hows everyone elses year shaping up?

zepman

Terribly slow for this guy...only been out once all year. Weather has something to do with it as well as a very busy schedule.

FishingJunky

I have been out 11 times and have not caught much. Went to 4 lakes and so far just 1 tiny eye and maybe 20 decent crappie(10-11 inch). Nothing like last year. I wish we would get some consistent weather to turn the fish back on.

Bassboy1645

Slower then normal but given that Ive nailed 2 of my personal bests in the walleye category. First fish through the ice in december was the second fish I had seen on the screen ealy ice and it was my new current pb 8.5 lbs eye released! I have since managed some fingerling eyes and 2 eaters is all until today....a second best pig at 6.5 to 7lbs released eye! what a trip. Finally found some fish cruising structure in 17-25 feet and this storm is only making things better!

dan z

the times I have made it out I have struggled to find a pile of them. a few small eyes and 1 meal of sunnies so far. still very fun and glad to get out when I can.

morefishplease

Inconsistant for me as well. Some nights the bobber never moved. Another night sat there for 4 hours without anything then picked up 3 walleyes in ten minutes then would shut off again. Did make it up to LOTW for early ice and picked up good eater size mix of walleye and sauger but we didn't catch any big fish. Hopefully some warmer weather will push in this upcoming week and get the fish biting.

ilovehardwater

It has been quite slow for me this year, I have picked up a few more Walleye this year than in years past but Im just happy being out on the ice reguardless of what I catch.

sleepless dad

I've been out only three times. First before the Christmas Blizzard and did ok, but the panfish were small. Second time on an unknown lake, I worried about getting skunked but I iced two fish right before I called it quits. The last time I went out, I did really well on a morning bite and the fish were active and striking hard. I was able to bring home enough gills & crapppies to have a nice meal for my family.

I'm hoping to get out next weekend and trying a new lake, but I like to go back where I know there's fish so, I'm torn between: exploring and taking the risk of gettin' skunked, or, going back to where I've done well.

What would you all do: explore a new lake, or go back to an old favorite?

Bassinbob84

werent many fish in my early season crappie spots. Still can't get to most of my mid winter crappie spots. Walleyes have been biting decent though. I haven't seen too Many pike but I've been on big fish lakes. I have seen some big ones but haven't speared them because thier not that magical 20 I'm looking for.

riverrat56

What would you all do: explore a new lake, or go back to an old favorite?

Explore a new one, maybe make a new favorite?

ec30_06

I've been out almost every day somewhere. Lots of sunfish and crappies so far. A few pike,eyes, and cats too. I would say it is an average year so far.

no bait nate

been out on the ice more this year so far due to a slower work schedule. best year so far for icing walleyes but none to keep yet. Panfish has been hit or miss but I have caught enough where I could make dinner for my grampa and a meal for the fiance and I. Hopefully this warmer weather will help pick things up and I can pick up a few eyes with some size. good luck to all..