• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
mainbutter

A few more follow up Qs: rod weight and leader material

mainbutter

Fish I'd like to catch on a fly rod:

-bluegill and other panfish

-carp

-bass

-alaskan silver salmon (early run, under 10lbs for the most part)

Q #1) If I really get into fly fishing I'll most likely end up with at least two rods for sure, but to start off is there something that would work well enough for all the above species?

Q #2) I've seen people fly fishing for toothy fish such including northern pike. What do do for bite-off prevention? Steel leaders much be incredibly impractical I imagine.

fsh4trout

A Five or six weight would work for bass, carp and the silver salmon, but it is a little heavy for panish. A three weight would be more appropriate for panfish.

Best compromise would be a five weight. A thing to remeber is to cast the rod before you buy it. a real fast rod may not fit your style vice versa with a slow rod. A reputable dealer should let you cast them.

For pike I think people use whats called a bite tippet. 10 inches of thick mono. Do some googling about bite tippets and I'm sure you'll learn more.

OnAFly

Many people say use a 6wt for bass or a 3wt for panfish.

I tend to throw bigger flies for both, so I run bigger rods. I use a 5wt for panfish, an 8 wt for bass, and a 10wt for pike/big bass flies.

It all depends on what size/weight flies you are throwing. If you are throwing medium sized poppers, yes a 6wt can work for bass. If you want to throw bigger divers or weighted flies, you can have problems trying to cast longer distances or accurately.

As far as tippets go, you have two options; you can get a thick mono shock tippet as suggested above, or you can buy steel braided leader material. I use a 15lb braided material to protect against bite offs.

Definitely go and cast rods before you buy them. It will help a ton. A description can only tell you so much.

mainbutter

Unfortunately I really don't know what to look for in a fly rod once I have it in my hand. That's the whole point, trying to find one to learn on laugh

Watershed

I would probably get into a medium action 6 weight rod if I could only choose one. The medium action rod will be easier to learn how to cast on if you have not done that much casting. Also carp and Salmon will peel drag rather quickly at times so the line capacity on a 6 weight reel will be a little better as well. It will be a bit on the heavy side for the panfish but if you want to tangle with carp or bass around cover you will want something a little beefier.

For the pike, I would go with the Rio Toothy Critter leader. It has a segment of wire at the end of it.

If you can get to a shop, definately cast a few.

sodajerk

Surfstrand Micro Supreme by American Fishing Wire company is good stuff to use as a leader for toothy fish.

The 7x7 (49 super-fine strands of wire) is knottable or crimpable using crimp sleeves and it's available in 13 to 90 lb test. It's a bit pricey, but it's top quality, and you'll only use a foot or so at a time.

As for starting out and getting one fly rod for all-around use, I'd go with a 6-weight. As others have said, it's a bit heavy for pannies and a bit light for big carp or pike, but it will work.

I fish mostly trout with a fly rod and I own a 3wt, a 4 wt, two 5wts a 6wt and an 8wt. I never seem to find the time to put them all to use, but those rod weights will cover many species and situations, from 6-inch trout on small, close-cover streams, to bonefish on the flats in Bimini (as if I'll ever get there...lol).

macgruber

i wouldn't want to carp fish with a five weight...... i've landed a good one on my six and pushed it to the max..... you'd be in serious danger of breaking it if the carp took off before you could react.....

if you want one basic, all-purpose rod, i'd echo what was said above and get yourself a medium action six weight...... if i was forced to have one rod, that's what i'd carry..... but i find the problem with the six is it ends up being on the large end for fighting panfish and on the small end for throwing flies for bass and fighting carp and salmon...

if you are new to it and aren't sure if you are going to get into it, i'd go get a four weight and try it out with the panfish...... if you enjoy that, then you'll have incentive to go pick up a seven or eight weight for the bigger species which will be easier to fish for once you've honed yer skills on the pannies...... the four will handle the occasional bass you'll pick up on the small panfish poppers......

otherwise, you'll spend lots of time fishing with a rod that's not quite right for any of the species yer after..... now if you are fly fishing western trout water, then you'll want to pick up a five or six down the road.....

mainbutter

You know I think I'm going to do exactly what you're suggesting macgruber, and go with a 4 for panfish. That will let me learn to cast and have success (hopefully) chasing easy-to-catch fish.

I'm sure I'll like it enough to pick up a heavier rod to chase roughfish and bass with, but I can save myself some money and wait until I know what I'm doing before picking out heavier equipment.

Thanks for all the tips!

so haaad

A four weight would allow you to fish for stream trout, too.

Comit 2

Quote:
Q #1) If I really get into fly fishing I'll most likely end up with at least two rods for sure, but to start off is there something that would work well enough for all the above species?

I have a TFO Pro 9ft 4wt I use for panfish. It is easy to cast and a blast to fight small fish with. I also have a 8ft, 5wt reddington with a faster action, I love this rod. A 5wt will work best if you want to throw some junk onyour line (strike indicators or lead shot). 6wt rods are nice between rods and I have two, it is a good all around rod but it falls a little short for throwing big wind resistant Bass flys. 7wt rods, I'm looking to get a 9.5ft 7wt in a week or two for nymphimg Carp (2.5-3 months away) and sinking lines with streamers. 8wt, this rod will throw most Bass size flys with.

There is no one rod do all. It all has to do with how big a fly you want to throw. An 8 weight will throw everything a 4 wt will throw but it will not give a sunfish a good fight nor will a 6wt.

It would be best to go with a 4or5wt and a 8wt. If you are thinking of Pike go 9or10wt those pike size flys have a lot of drag in the air.

My two cents.

Quote:
That will let me learn to cast and have success

If you are learning to cast get some cheep 5wt line to put on your 4wt rod. It will load with less line out and make it easier to get the feel of the rod loading on the back cast. After you get the hang of it get some (REO) 4wt nymph line I think you will be happy with it.

macgruber

good luck and have fun