• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Colt McCoy

zepman

Is he good enough to be a franchise type q-back in the NFL...I don't get to watch the college game enough to know but from the reports on t.v. he's expected to go in the 2nd-4th rounds. Could he be a Viking late 2nd round option?

He sure has won alot of games for the Longhorns....

Completing 70% of your passes while throwing the ball 460 times is crazy!! He has great accuracy and the kid is a leader!! I think he has great upside but would not be a starter in the NFL the year after completing his college career. Give him a year or two and he should flourish!!

noone really knows the status but tem right now, they havent said anything on whats going on, other then shoulder and ribs

Not too many playeres that could have withstood the "spear shot" that McCoy got handed to him...That had to hurt

Great college player. Very accurate and smart. Team leader. However, he doesn't have a very strong arm which will limit him in the NFL. With the speed of the NFL corners and safeties, the windows he throws into will be much smaller than they are in college which will really hurt him. Also, a lot of his accuracy comes from throwing tons of short bubble screens and whatnot. So his accuracy numbers are a bit inflated.

I really like McCoy but he needs to develop some serious arm strength to give him more zip(for lack of a better word) on the ball. I thought that he would work on that last offseason and come out and show improved arm strength this year. It didn't happen and it will cost him in the draft. Most likely someone will reach for him in the mid to late second although he should probably be slotted for the mid third round.

Just a note so there is no confusion. Arm strength does not equal throwing the ball 70 yards. I'm talking velocity.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Very nice analysis koonie. There was a similar take on Montana & Kosar.

He's Chris Simms all over again. I'd draft Dan LeFevour instead.

Will be interesting to see how LeFevour ends up doing, those smaller college qbs are really hard to judge. Guess he could either be a dud like tarvaris or a stud like rothlesberger

Looks like this year there will be a strong quarterback class in the draft. Pretty much everyone of them has question marks. It will be an interesting draft.

Aaron Rodgers was criticized for his arm strength coming out of college too. Granted he's still got a long way to go, but he is slinging the ball into tight spaces and has no problem with the deep ball.

I think that the real challenge with these type of quarterbacks is letting them marinate as a backup in the NFL long enough to develop the tools needed to compete. Teams take a double gamble when they pay $50 million for a rookie QB, and then toss him into a starting role on top of that. Sometimes it works (Flacco, Matt Ryan) but they are the exceptions instead of the rule. Teams can convince themselves that it's too hard to spend that much money on a guy that doesn't play, but there is an overstock of Ryan Leafs and Jamarcus Russells that were ruined by (as Alan Greenspan would say) irrational exuberance.

Rodgers can sling the ball 70 yards... last week I saw him throw it 55 yards off his back foot.

Arm strenght is an important factor. I mean come on look at how far Jamarcus Russell can throw the ball!! It got him an insane payday and he's nothing but a tub of carp.

Drafting QB's is some serious business, just flip a coin and give a guy a shot. Because that's even better odds than a guy panning out to be something worth while.

It will be interesting to see how much "the injury" is discussed in the upcoming months leading up to the draft, and how much it impacts his draft stock.

i think he is a great qb but him along with Tebow wont make it with the big boys. he is too small i think compared to some of the lineman that will be coming at him. Imagine Darnell Docket smashing him to the ground, he thinks he is hurt now. Plus there is no crying in football, except for Timmy.

Sorry, but that's [PoorWordUsage]. Don't tell me that Doug Flutie and other small quarterbacks can't succeed. You read to many draft magazines. Darnell Docket would hurt any quarterback, save for some of the enormous guys like Roethlisburger.

Attitude, aptitude, skills, leadership, and physical tools are all a part of the equation. If you discount a player based on size or any other attribute, you're missing the point.

Moss wasn't smart, got a 6 on the Wunderlick or something, and was still a success. There are many examples of this but you've got to have a thoughtful analysis beyond "he's small."

dont read any trade mags, heck really only follow college football. i agree that there are some great smaller qbs that have come out of college ball. but where are they now???? one cant tell me that size is not an issue when it comes to playing qb in the pros. I agree that they are not huge but a smaller guy will end up short timer in my eyes. all of the skills you list are true but i am afraid that the two big name qbs are not going far. I hope they both do great in the nfl but have a hard time believing. just my thought

Drew Brees and Steve Young are two smaller stauture guys who never seem(ed) to let their height or stature get in the way of their success.

Drew Brees and Steve Young are two smaller stauture guys who never seem(ed) to let their height or stature get in the way of their success.

Flutie was TINY and had a CANNON for an arm, and when given a chance, won a few games. I still would like to see Todd Reesing given a chance somewhere, he can throw

West coast offense doesn't really need a q-back with a cannon for an arm...doesn't hurt...but not needed. Smarts and reading defenses are much more important.

i think he is a great qb but him along with Tebow wont make it with the big boys. he is too small i think compared to some of the lineman that will be coming at him. Imagine Darnell Docket smashing him to the ground, he thinks he is hurt now. Plus there is no crying in football, except for Timmy.

I'm not disagreeing as to whether or not McCoy will be a good pro, I have no idea. But I don't see McCoy as being that small of a guy. 6'3" 215 lbs. He's still just a kid and will probably put on more weight eventually. Brett Favre is 6'2" 225. I would have to say that looks almost like an average sized QB in the NFL.

West coast offense doesn't really need a q-back with a cannon for an arm...doesn't hurt...but not needed. Smarts and reading defenses are much more important.

Every NFL offense needs a QB with a cannon for an arm. Arm strength has more to do with zip on the ball than how far you can chuck it.

Then why is TJack so bad?

I didn't say arm strength was the ONLY thing the player needs to possess! Helps to have accuracy, intelligence, so on and so forth.

One of the negatives with Tebow is his throwing delivery. The NFL defenses are so fast and react so quickly that his long, low, slow delivery will get his recievers killed and result in a bunch of pick-6's.....