• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Alexander Fishing Reports

I've got a question for you guys...are you seeing success with a particular color of lure this season with walleye/pike?

I ask because I used to live and die by by the black n' white deep diving cranks. But this year, they don't seem to be working.

Just wondering if anyone's had luck with blue, orange, firetiger, etc? I'll be dusting off the whole collection before this weekend and will be prepared to try them all! Just wondering if anyone had any good suggestions with where to start.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sander v.

• Phunnyfarm

• shamalex72

• eyenutt

I live in Southern Ohio and am planning a trip up to Alexander at the end of July. Me and my buddies have been making this trip for the last 6 years so it is kinda a big deal for us.

Just looking for any info someone wants to pass along. Is the Milfoil up this year? Always had good success fishing for bass around all the docks. Anderson bay has been good for mid-size pike and smaller bass. East Shore has been hit or miss for eye's the last couple of years. North side of Duck's nest was always multispecies productive for us.

Thanks

I agree with Shamalex...it's up, and where it is up...it is REALLY thick. When you get your first glass water, take a stroll around the edges, and you can see the pink/red tips sticking out of the water in the bad spots.

But if you are fishing for bass by the docks, you might call them "good spots", because they love to hide in it!

Just make sure to empty the old water tank good before hauling it back to Ohio!

Enjoy the lake too...it's a great one!

There is plenty of milfoil, they just treated in a few areas.

When they spray that [PoorWordUsage] I go out into 30-40 feet of water and start throwing topwater. You wouldnt believe the muskies out there and they love topwater!!!

Hit the lake for the first time this year prefishin for a bass tournament and holy milfoil shocked That stuff has taken over the lake bigtime. Alot of the cabbage beds I had marked in the past have now become milfoil. It's so thick in places you can hardly drive through it. Make sure to double check your boats and trailers, nasty stuff eek!

Brought the ski pole along, had two decent sized follows and saw two other small ones, all up in the reeds. Should've converted one of the follows but didn't get the 8 out wide enough.

• 4 weeks later...

I am going up to Lake Alexander from August 9-14th. I have only been up there one other time which was in 2008, but fished very little. I was wondering what type of structure I should be keying on and time of day to try to catch a walleye or two. Also any advice on where the bass were hanging would be great. Thanks in advance.

I'd concentrate on the midlake humps in the morning or evenings for walleyes.

Work the milfoil lines for bass during the day. Pitch weedless lures into the pockets in the milfoil. The ends and out side edges of the milfoil lines seem to be better for good sized bass. Also check out the reed islands towards the west end. Docks can be good to hit during midday as well. A couple weeks ago the winning bass of a tournament were in 15'-20' on a milfoil hump, caught on a jig/pig wink Good Luck

• 4 months later...

Anyone have an ice report for the rest of us? HAven't been able to get up there to scout the thickness but have weds off from work and want to make something of an attempt at catching some fish. If anyone has any reports on the eastside ice status as well as cushing access it would be much appreciated. Just looking for a safety net thats all, no fish caught or X and Y. Thanks!

Was out on the east side last sat, there was a few wheelers out there. Looked like about 4" of good ice with a inch or so of frozen slush on top of that.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be heading up there this evening and weds for good portion of the day. I'll give a report following.

Shamalex72,

How far out in the east side were they, Anderson point area? And how is the bite? The in laws have a cabin close to the landing and we are considering coming up that way this weekend.

Be careful as the ice is not freezing good. Thickness can change in a couple feet. As you heard a man drowned this week on Alexander. All the area lakes are risky right now with the snow on it to cover bad spots and insulate the ice from freezing.

Shamalex72,

How far out in the east side were they, Anderson point area? And how is the bite? The in laws have a cabin close to the landing and we are considering coming up that way this weekend.

my dad was out last night, he said there was a wheeler or two that went out that way. he only caught a couple little ones.

A friend of mine told me that a truck was out between Flolids Pt and Haystack yesterday...??? That sounds a little too crazy to be true.... maybe he would have come from the Cushing landing? I have a cabin to the west of Flolids and always hate going around flolids pt because of the ununiformed ice and pressure ridges..

unfortunatly some just can't be cautious, apparently a truck is safer than walking or or a wheeler. After last weekends incident I think I walk for another week.

I was out from the cushing access yesterday from noon until about 6:15! Didn't see or hear a truck on the ice, doesn't mean he wasn't there though. I did observe two wheelers traveling over the main basin along with a few others moving houses eastward from the flolids pt area. Caught 1 perch 2 pike. 15.5 FOW. Around five or six inches of good ice where i setup. I would recommend traveling with extreme caution. As a four traveled about 500 yards away from me, the wave action underneath the ice sent water up in my holes, a bit tense. Got nothing else to report, no eyes yet...!

Tonight found a few fish in 18fow. 17" and 15" along with a hungry perch. Missed two others but did not see the mass feeding like a year ago...Things change along with inclement weather on the horizon. dead sticked both fish but found jigging brought fish nearby for looksies then they would go for minnow instead of salmo or buckshot. Something to try if you haven't. Good luck to the rest of ya, may be a bit slow for the next few days. keep bringing reports. Its interactive and helpful for the rest. Did observe a fish chasing my minnows for about five minutes,.. no bite however just tangled lines.

Thanks for the fishing report Sander. I will be out on Alex Tu - Th and will report back on what I can pull through the hole.... or what I dident pull through the hole.....

Have you seen anyone fishing the hump to the east of Haystack?

I have saw a few wheelers around the hump, but soon enough there will be a permanent house on every piece of mid lake structure. Gonna be cold out there, good luck and try and stay warm.

Sounds good. Thanks!

Just picked up a new Voyager TCX today.. After I figure out how to put it together I am heading for Alex!!

• 3 weeks later...

Is the fishing on Alex as quiet as this board has been the past few weeks?!

heading up to LA for the New Years weekend, and can't wait to punch a few holes for the first time this season!

(might have to bring the squeegee too if it rains like they say!)

Good luck out there...

Went out by the castaway on Monday and it was slow. One walleye about 14" and that was it. Fished in 30 ft marker fish from 3:45-6 but only had he bite. Hope you find this weekend.

Will hopefully be heading to alex tomorrow (weather providing) will report back what happens! I'm thinking maybe targeting shallower water due to this warm front, maybe find some more active feeding fish! and thoughts? thanks guys!

p.s.- maiden voyage for my new SOLO! grin

Fished in the rain (literally), caught quite a few nice perch, and also found some eyes! walleyes had quite a mix of reactions! they would either not even think and hammer it, or would just come in and follow it up and couldn't get them to trigger!

Fished Thursday from 1-4pm in the milfoil off of the west shore of Weyerhauser point. Only ice fished the lake once before and didn't have much luck. I figured I would try something new. Didn't have any luck with anything. Was hoping for some pannies. I was going to stay out until after dark but I forgot lighting...plus I was soaked. Took the sled out there. Got pretty slushy. Only had about 10-11 inches of ice where I was set up at. Might try it again this weekend.

Fished out from cushing access on tuesday evening. Marked a few fish, likely perch. One bobber was popped around 5:30pm but didn't ice the fish. Hoping to make it back out again soon. Any fish being caught? Anyone?

Fished with a couple tip ups west of the Cast Away on NYE. Had one flag in the middle of the afternoon. After at least 4-5 minutes of running (I had trouble getting the boots on!), the fish still didn't swallow the bait, so I lost it.

Saw the same thing as Sander too...10-12 inches of ice covered with 3-4 inches of slush covered with 6 inches of snow.