• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Alexander Fishing Reports

Went out today from 3:30 - 7:00. my son and father in law were in the perm and i was in the portable. billions of perch but not much of anything else. did have a flag go up on a tip up, no fish and no minnow, got back to the house and the bobber was gone with the same result. they had the camera in the perm and only saw 2 eyes total. i think it's time to go chasing crappie.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sander v.

• Phunnyfarm

• shamalex72

• eyenutt

out again this morning about 5:30 saw some fish on the vex but no takers. put the camera down just as it was getting light. 30 sec latter a 19-20" eye was sniffing my shiner. he started to swim away and then turned and just smoked it, pulled off about 4' of line and then spit it out. not quite the ending I was hoping for my last time out for eyes but hey that's why the call it fishing and not catching right?

I was out with tip ups all weekend, and only one flag at 9am yesterday...22" nort. It hit on my shallower (15") tip up too.

Fished southside off of some shallower structure, caught two last night, and that was pretty much all we marked. Bite was around six pm.

Fished yesterday evening from 4:30 until eight. There were a few perch feeding before sundown and then action died until a half hour of darkness fell over the lake. I marked fish consistently up until the lantern ran dry. Could not get a bite. Dead-sticking and jigging all brought fish nearby, they would even follow up, but sniffers was all that moved in for me. Shiners, fatheads, and crappies were apparently not on the menu. Anyone have any tips as far as a slower more convincing presentation?

sounds like the same thing i have experienced the last week. must be the "dog days" of February,ha. wish i had some good advise but i don't. I've decided when i can get out again it will be for crappies.

Hi all I have been lurking in the forums for awhile, I am going to the GF's cabin this weekend by motley and was wondering if lake alec has the potential for decent pike or if fish trap/ shamineau would be a better bet? It will probably be my last time up there until the ice melts so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think Alex is the better of the three in the winter northerns. If you are looking to just catch a decent fish, maybe in slot, just for fun. I would suggest going to the access off of the Castaway head southwest just off the rockpile about 200 yds out. fish in 30ft of water with med sized shiners, basically a walleye set up. From 9am to 1pm should bring some action. Not fast and furious but nice fish and enough to keep you interested. Good luck!

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota.

Shamineau northern fishing was good this week. The west access was tough without a plowed road. The east access is better with several plowed roads. 20 ft mid-afternoon.

out on alex today just enjoying the nice weather and fishing for some pannies. had a tip up down with a sucker but the 30" northern i caught decided my little plain hook with a waxie was more appetizing, go figure. as the sun was starting to go down i got a little more serious about some crappie action but that was a bust. however the last couple of minutes that i could see on the camera a nice walleye about 24-25" came through and took my crappie minnow. when i set the hook i felt a couple nice head shakes and then it peeled off a good amount of line, felt a couple more head shakes and then it was gone mad i would have let it go anyway but it's still frustrating. this last open water season was one of the best i have ever had but this winter is the worst that i can remember.

What part of the lake were you fishing? I may head out with a buddy on Saturday that has only been out 3 times this year.

Pick

west end of the lake first bay on the south side as you come out of thoroughfare bay. there are a couple perms there that are in pretty shallow must be fishing pockets in the weeds.

Thanks for the updates guys, I am heading up to the cabin in a few minutes and will probably run and gun on alex tomorrow all day and maybe shamineau sunday am, so if you see a blue chevy with a wild 2 shack and a black lab running around it, please stop and say hi.I will try to give a report for the weekend.

I'm heading up to Alexander for the weekend. I've only fished it twice this year with little to no luck. I'm going to try for some eyese during the day and hopefully get into some crappies later on in the early evening. Any suggestion for depths, lures, or bait presentations? Thanks.

Jensens, I haven't fished alex for little over a week now but last outing i marked a lot of fish at sundown and two hours after it had fell. 14fow on top of rocks and gravel. A suttle presentation may be the ticket, Fatheads (smaller), maybe jigging a swedish pimple, something with little sound so as not to spook the fish when they are getting close. Too many times I have watched them rise and bolt when ever the ball bearings in the buckshot rattle. Really though dead sticking with one jigging set up can't hurt, look for deep breaks or underwater pts, maybe see ya out there

Fished Alex on friday from about noon until 8pm. Started fishing in about 15 FOW marking lots of fish but only caught really small perch. The close towards sunset I moved out to about 27 FOW and didn't mark a fish the whole time. I threw everything but the kitchen sink down there and couldn't even attract one fish. Saturday we threw down a couple tip-ups while we were doing some work around the cabin and didn't get any takers either. Hopefully everyone else had better luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Did the ice go out on Alex this past weekend?! Just saw on the DNR site that Otter, Pelican, Edward, etc went out this past weekend, and Gull and Milly are "partial cover".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any reports on the bite on Alex since last Saturday's opener?! Heading up this weekend (hopefully not 30mph winds like what they're forecasting) for the first open water fishing of the year!

I use Accuweather.com for my weather source. Seems to be the most accurate (hence the name!).

Fished Alex on Tues and Wed(AM). So didn't get on the lake until about noon on Tues, and really just bounced around trying various spots and getting used to a new boat (YEAH). We found some nice size sunnies and saw some very impressive muskies and Northerns. Fished the evening bite and marked quite a few fish. We threw everything we had at them but they were tight lipped. Wed AM wasn't much better for the eyes.......marking fish, seeing them shallow but all they'd do is look at it and swim away, watched one grab my minnow and just when I was going to set the hook, it was gone with my minnow. So after getting rejected we changed tactics and found some really impressive Croppies. But they made us work super hard for them as well. Between 2 of us we kept 6 and released that many more. It did get windy in the early afternoon with some swirling winds that made finding glass smooth water near impossible.

Lake clarity was (as usual) very impressive, H2O temps: hi 50's.

I do love this lake.

I haven't seen of heard of any/much crappie action on the lake this spring.....you said you worked really hard.....any tips

Thanks...Good Luck!

I was only out there Sat. night. Did OK, size was small, mostly 13-15" but we caught nine and missed 3-4 other walleyes. Fish where in 20-22 ft of water and did not start to bite until 9:45pm and bit until we left at 11:30pm. This was all bobber and leech. good luck!

Bigcloud, we were all using different set ups: 1/32,1/16 and a few 1/8 jigs with small tubes, minnows, and craws (all different in color)and ultralight set ups . weird thing is that it was all plastics, no one presentation was dominate, or one person on fire. I think one small one was caught on an actual real minnow but it was released for atleast 2 yrs down the line. check out the edge of the weedlines in 12-18 FOW. We literally stumbled upon them when someone was casting w/ small rap for the eyes. Don't ask me where to go exactly, because no one spot held many fish. Fill your tanks, charge the batteries and be prepared to cover the whole lake. Like I said we worked hard for the ones we kept, over a much earned dinner we decided it was a cross between walleye and muskie fishing.....many hours and many casts later....

I'm going to try and go back up there Sunday or Tues/Wed again to see if I can reproduce or maybe get an walleye or 2. If you see a older 2 tone grey Crestliner tiller model w/ a big*** dog on the bow, that'll be me, come by and chat and we can swap lies of where the fish are.

Good luck.

Got out for a troll on Friday afternoon and Sunday morning on Alex this past weekend and came back with an empty livewell on both trips. We were trolling the weedlines with Berkely Frenzy's for norts and walleyes.

Saw a LOT of docks already out, and saw the first few jetskis of the year this weekend...so it should be a wild weekend out on that lake coming up over Memorial!

• 2 weeks later...

My depth finder's broken on the boat. I dipped my toe in the water, and estimated it somewheres between "sort of coolish" and "mildly refreshing"...so that doesn't help!

Anyone have a recent water temp from Alex?!